Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jackets

kojax

Practically Family
i live in the boston area i really do not see people wearing leather any more. i see alot of polartec and this new geration they wear hoodies lol....i see leather jackets the thing of the past here....sad i like leather.....

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
I guess I am far enough west that I do see leather jackets/coats in the winter. Wool, too. Or, maybe those are just what I notice.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Leather popularity seems to have it's highs and lows. I think younger people are spending more money on the so-called "essential gadgets" that modern life shoves at them; iPods, the latest camera phones, etc. And fewer of them are content with the lower priced clothing brands anymore. Thus leather from Wilsons and such won't do anymore. [huh] High-end, high-recognition leather brands are probably out of reach.

Don't worry. Leather shall return!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still see leather jackets on people up here in Edmonton. Even in the -30 weather we have been having lately (-22 Fahrenheit). The over 50 crowd seems to have the typical mall leather jackets, paired with a scarf. Under 50 seem to wear biker style jackets sometimes with hoodies underneath, sometimes with down vests over them. makes them a little harder to spot. But you are right teenagers seem to prefer their hoodies.
Johnny

Anders

One of the Regulars
Yep, when there is a leather jacket it's of the mall/pigskin sort. Leather overcoats are pretty common around here too.

Carlisle Blues

kojax said:
i live in the boston area i really do not see people wearing leather any more. i see alot of polartec and this new geration they wear hoodies lol....i see leather jackets the thing of the past here....sad i like leather.....

I, too, live in the Boston area.

All I see are people in leather bomber type jackets A-1 G-2 Goatskin tough.

Age does not seem to matter, could simply that in this part of the world people need to blend in.[huh]

Rufus

Practically Family
Well here in London there's plenty of people with leather jackets. From indie/emo kids, to rock'n'rollers, bikers, punks, and trendy Hoxton scenesters in overpriced vintage.

In Tokyo I was gobsmacked at the great gear I saw in shops and more importantly, being worn!

icecold

One of the Regulars
This has probably to do with the over-the-top liberal-ness of the whole state lol and the ensuing avoidance of any even remotely politically incorrect statement such as wearing the remains of dead animals :) :p

Kidding aside, part of the problem is that much of rhe supply of leather clothing is the exact same crap like the other mall clothing. How is a wilson's leather jacket ay better than a nylon jacket from Old Navy :mad: ? On the other hand, really good leather is hard to find (except for us the certified madmen here).
Cas in point: jeans. This is obviously one of the most common garments on the planet. But, 97% (sic) of all jeans sold are crap. The "proper", vintagey (mostly japanese) jeans have no more than 3% of the market. But the difference is obvious only to people who actually think about jeans (or leather jackets ;) ). so I wouldn't be too harsh on the "common folk", though of course I can't help but think that the world would be a lot more civilized (sic) place if people did something as simple as to pay attention to clothes, even if it is workwear. The manners would go up, the crime - down, etc. Yo uget the idea. :)

feltfan

Rufus said:
Well here in London there's plenty of people with leather jackets. From indie/emo kids, to rock'n'rollers, bikers, punks, and trendy Hoxton scenesters in overpriced vintage.
And in today's Guardian:
Leather for men is back with a vengeance. But be careful how - and where - you wear it

Pictures for the article here.

That said, I see fewer young people wearing leather in the San Francisco
Bay Area (outside of certain subcultures, anyway). The hoodie and
cheap knockoffs of 70s coats and jackets prevail.

I did see plenty of leather in London over the holidays. Most of it crummy,
but a few nice things, including more Irvins than I've seen in one place before
(not a popular style in California for some reason).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot