Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Long Coats and Great Coats?

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Can anybody recommend a company that makes long leather coats?

Ideally, the coat would have horsehide or bovine leather on the top shoulders and then goatskin everywhere else for ease of wear.

I am looking for a slim fitting long coat for next fall/winter. I will not be wearing a suit underneath the coat. I like a coat that is cut to be somewhat slim fitting even without the belt tied.
I would like to find a coat that is sturdy and wide in the shoulders with flowing leather in the rest of the garment.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You'll need to have that custom made. Or find a vintage job.

If you want it this year... Johnson Leathers might get it done in time. Why different leather on the shoudlers? Goat is one of the most abrasion and toughest leathers available - tougher than cow and maybe horse.

Magnoli clothiers will do one too. All depends on your price and how fussy you are. It's a look not many people can pull off. ;) Why not a waxed cotton trench?

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Well, I love the sturdy style of horse, which I think would set up a nice pair of shoulders in a long coat, and also the flowing style of goat for the rest. It would be a kind of "movie" coat, I suppose. I always really like "Neo's" jacket in the Matrix a great deal. I also came of age in the Goth years and I still would like a very faint echo of Goth style in a leather great coat or long coat.

I don't know many long coats that have sturdy shoulders and flowing fronts and backs to them. I guess the style is rare? I can't see why. Goat is just not structural enough to create a sturdy set of shoulders for an interesting look. A full jacket in horse would be very nice in many respects, but also cumbersome, especially when sitting down.

There is nothing wrong with a waxed cotton trench. I have two of them in my closet right now! I have already looked on Magnoli's website. Did not think of Johnson. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm all ears if anyone else can think of a company that already designs an interesting long or great coat with structured shoulders instead of the typical loose ones that are part of most longer coats in leather.

Last edited:

Gambetto

Familiar Face
What about The Leather Closet? Any one hear any feeback regarding this company? http://www.theleathercloset.com/product.php?id_product=51

This design is somewhat goofy, but the price is very reasonable. I suppose a jacket such as this would become more of a curio than a staple, however.

--Just checked. I no longer have the waxed cotton trench in my closet. Don't know what happened to it. I have one vintage cotton trench and one wool long coat. No long leather at all.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I see. To achieve that look goat is structural enough. But it depends on the goat. The Aero goat, for instance, is as thick and robust as horse. The key issue in your pattern idea is leather thickness. You might be able to do the whole thing in cowhide, but get the top/shoulder section in 3.5 oz and the rest in 2.5 oz pilable, softer cowhide. You'll get that flowing cape like look that it seems you're after. It will be hard to do well so expect to pay a lot. Where the hide changes thickness needs to be carefully designed so that the seams between sections need to be placed just so, so don't make the jacket look strange - unless that's what you want.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I had a chat to Amanda about getting Aero to fabricate a fishtail parka in oil pull. She reckoned it would be around £800. There's a one-off trench coat on the Aero Japan site, so I'm sure that they could accommodate your wishes.

DVC00111.JPG

One problem with goat is that the skins will come up relatively small, which would increase the number of panels required.

Another option would be a Swedish army leather greatcoat. They come up time-to-time.

swed3.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
You can buy "off the rack" all day long. LeatherCoatsEtc.com, the company that now makes the G1 that people aren't too crazy about, has single breasted, double breasted, and duster styles. As far as function, those coats will keep the wind out and the rain and snow off of you. They are priced to be affordable, and you can always find a coupon code online to reduce the web price even further.

For me, I like the long leather as opposed to a fabric rain coat. And I'm not worried wearing it out in the elements (since that's what they are made for) because they are relatively inexpensive. I've got several of those "cheap" coats that I throw on when I go on road trips through the Pacific North-West. I dry them off with a towel, and keep the leather well oiled and conditioned. Haven't had a problem yet. Leather has not dried and cracked. Seams have not burst open. Zippers and buttons work. I'm not as picky when it comes to function. And I would much rather have on one of these bargain priced coats if Big Foot is chasing me through the forest. Not everybody needs or wants to spend $$$$ on "high grade" merchandise. I'm the kind of guy who drives a Ford F-150, not a Mercedes AMG.

But you probably won't be happy with something mass produced to sell at that price point. Your best bet is spend a little more, and have something made to your personal specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff