Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather motorcyle jacket

Classical CR types from Vanson would be;

Vanson Model A - http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-MODEL_AZ2___ZIPOUT_LINER-252.aspx?
Vanson Model B - http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-MODEL_B-256.aspx?
Comet - http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-COMET-318.aspx?

Other than the fit, of course, biggest difference between A and B is that the Model A has a full action back as opposed to shoulder gussets on Model B. Comet has no gussets and is most riding friendly of all three, with A being in the second place.
They have a Model AR3 now, which I believe is Model A with armour. Check it out: http://www.vansonleathers.com/default.aspx
If I had the money, I'd go for it this second... :(

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Damn, I can hardly believe there exists something such as a size 62... Looks like a killer jacket. But as far as I know, the Model B has a bi-swing back and therefore is very rider friendly. Only thing that isn't rider friendly is the length, especially in the front. Can't zip it up while on my bike.

All three are great for riding but Comet is shorter than the two, especially in the front, and has slightly front facing sleeves. Well, not as hardcore as Lightning or Cobra but... Model A is also shorter on the front, has an actual, long kidney panel and due to the full action back, I find it very comfortable both on my 1971 Ducati and my friends Harley. And my girls scooter. XD Very versatile jacket.

kyboots

Practically Family
Hard choices. Have Vanson and love it but had difficulty recently getting them to answer emails so went next to Aero Bootlegger ( outstanding ). Old, old Langlitz which gets better with age but you will not go wrong with any of them. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Last edited:

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
You may as well look for the Schott 641 horse hide wich is one of the best cafe racers out there.

Thank you, Damo! I have to say it is quite an achievement. Basically as soon as I can afford another jacket, I buy one... Great thing about my age is that I can spend all the money I earn any way I want to, no rent or children that need to be paid for!

I'd say go with Vanson. Off the rack is probably fine, though the sleeves and body on my Model B are a tad long. This'll keep your wife happy as well!

@Monitor yep.. Perfecto is a chick magnet. I'm hoping that the Aero J106 I'll be getting next year will be even more so.

I have the jacket, maybe I should move over to the netherlands-europe now.:D

Edward

Bartender
Spent a while perusing the Vanson site - some really niced jackets on there. For a jacket very specifically designed for use on a modern bike but without compromising the aesthetics of the thing, those look like an excellent choice. Not badly priced, either, if they're up to scratch. Of course, now I've got my eye on that shawl mouton-collared "Luftwaffe" model....

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Not just nice jackets, but a lot of jackets! Sometimes I'm just surprised by the amount of styles they have to offer. I think a Stallion just might be my ultimate riding jacket, or a Cobra Mark II. Their prices are indeed not so steep when compared to the £££'s of Aero jackets.

Damo

A-List Customer
Holy smokes!!! Mendelboaz your right!! There are many vanson jackets. I liked the Daytona and I also saw another model from Thurston-Bros, the vanson model b deluxe...

So the waters are very muddy right now!!! I think in my price range its between a 141 schott or the vanson Daytona or model b deluxe..

I really like the dark brown of the 141 schott. I really don't know much about vanson. Not sure which is manufacturer uses better leather or has better craftsmenship, better customer service and better fit. Also which type of leather will have a better patina... The vansons leathers are treated so they would be better in the rain/snow compared to the natural untreated hide of the Schott 141...

Decisions, decisions.....

Edward

Bartender
Not just nice jackets, but a lot of jackets! Sometimes I'm just surprised by the amount of styles they have to offer. I think a Stallion just might be my ultimate riding jacket, or a Cobra Mark II. Their prices are indeed not so steep when compared to the £££'s of Aero jackets.

Unfortunately, though, much of the pricr difference will get eaten by import taxes if ordering from the UK.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Another option is to get a custom motorcycle jacket from Johnson Leathers. You can pick your style, your leather and your measurements against a 'test jacket' and get things customized to fit your frame. Depending on what you choose, you could probably get something in the $650-$800 range that will fit you perfectly. I recommend doing a search on this site for 'Johnson Leathers' and take a look.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Another option is to get a custom motorcycle jacket from Johnson Leathers. You can pick your style, your leather and your measurements against a 'test jacket' and get things customized to fit your frame. Depending on what you choose, you could probably get something in the $650-$800 range that will fit you perfectly. I recommend doing a search on this site for 'Johnson Leathers' and take a look.

Yes. A good chunk of Alan at JL's work is supplying the San Francisco Police Department with their motorcycle jackets. I know he sells armor padding, and the few times I've been in store some of the other customers had their helmets in hand.

Last edited:

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Don't know what kind of bike you're riding, but for classic, cafe racer style Lewis Leathers is arguably the "original" rocker jacket. The last one I had saved my hide on several occasions.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
fwiw, I've owned two Vansons, one Schott, and one Legendary USA (made by Schott). The quality of the hides (a bit) and craftsmanship (a lot) was overall much better on the Vansons.

Also, in the past Lost Worlds has run late summer sales where standard offerings are something like 10 percent off. Depending on what you're looking for, that might put some of their products in the range of what you're looking to spend. I've got a LW Trojan that is literally stitch-for-stitch perfect. It's the one jacket I'll never get rid of.

Been riding since 1964. Had many Schotts..couple of langlitz..an Aero MC jacket..Bucos among others..but I must say that my comp steer Vanson Enfield is my favorite..simply because it is just so comfortable to wear for a heavy hide. Sleeves ride up very little while grabbing the handle bars..and it is just a well thought out and constructed jacket for on the bike ..and even casual wear.
HD

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I echo several others here in recommending VANSON as one of our options. I don't have experience with Langlitz but know them to have a great reputation as a motorcycle leather jacket manufacturer - considering ordering one someday in the near future. Aero makes fantastic jackets too, of course. Both these brands are on the higher price end of the scale. I love my Lost Worlds Buco Rider horsehide jacket, it's around the same price-range as Langlitz and Aero, but as somebody above mentioned, they're having a late-summer sale of 10% off on some models presently - I think till the end of the August.

I have a Schott 141 and several others at some point or the other (118, 585 ...) and they're good jackets. Like folks have mentioned on this thread and others, Schott styles like the 141 now tend to run on the "wider-bodied" end of the scale, something to keep in mind if you're a slim guy & looking for a snug-fit style. Also, I can affirm to the fact that Schott are good, but quality might not quite be at the level of the other brands mentioned here. This was fine until a year or two ago when I remember them being around the $600-$650 range for a 141, 118, etc. But recently I've seen the prices jump by atleast $100 or more. With this in mind, if I were looking at a Schott I might just consider adding a few hundred dollars more and checking out the other higher-end brands.

Thus brings me to Vanson - fantastic, top quality stuff at a relatively reasonable price. Their competition-weight leather is some serious stuff! I've bought Vansons directly through the company, as well as through other shops (Insurrection, etc.). Very motorcycle-oriented, they make classically styled jackets, as well as modern race suits, and have several armored jacket options as well. I ordered their recently-introduced AR3 - a Model A with armor - and have sent it back to Vanson for some customizing. Can't wait to have it back for cooler weather riding! I'm also breaking in a Vanson Enfield in octagon I bought through Insurrection - loving it! Another classic-style Vanson I'm enjoying currently is my wax-cotton-armored Robinson jacket which is a collaboration between Vanson and UnionGarageNYC - perfect for monsoon riding in the cooler Himalayan roads I'm exploring at present.

Hope this helps!

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
@anyone who owns a schott 141. I'm wonder what is your weight/height/chest measurements and which jacket size??

@ vanson owners. Is the model b their version of a cafe racer? Does anyone own a vanson with armour built in? Is it really noticeable? Does it change the fit of the jacket?? Thx in advance

I own a Schott 141 in size 40, bought it in 2012, so pretty recent, and there doesn't seem to have been any sizing changes since then. I'm around 5'10" tall, weigh around 175-178lbs or so, and usually am a size 40-Regular in suits. The 141 fits well with a bit of room in the body. My arms are regular length, the sleeves fit just right, but if I was any lankier the sleeves would be a bit short. Overall it hangs a bit boxy on me. The leather is naked cowhide so absorbs water more than my other jackets - Lost Worlds horsehide is almost waterproof, I've tested it out on a 10-day ride into the mountains. The competition weight leather on my new Vanson Enfield and Chopper jackets also seem to be way more water-resistant than the Schott naked cowhide. Converely, the Schott leather is a lot softer & lighter then these others from the get-go, so more comfortable for casual non-riding wear. Do note that the LW (& Aero) horsehide and Vanson comp-weight leather are super-stiff, thick and heavy when new and will take a bit of wearing in to soften them a bit. I've seen people not used to this kind of hard-core thickness and stiffness being a bit taken aback, even intimidated, by this. For me that's the beauty - breaking in these super leathers by giving them some honest, hard wear :)

Vanson Model A, Model B and Comet are all cafe-racer-styled. The Model B is probably the closest in style to the Schott 141, but I'd definitely consider it a cut above the 141, and now, is also lower priced than the Schott 141! If I had to choose between the two, it'd be a Vanson Model B hands down, no-brainer! My brother has a Vanson Model B that has seen about a decade of motorcycle wear and still looks pretty fresh - I suspect a Schott 141 with the same amount of hard-use would look a lot more beat-up. The Vanson also holds its shape better and is overall better/sharper-looking than the 141, honest! On a similar note, a guy I ride with has a 3-decade old Aero Highwayman that has been flogged hard and is definitely showing its age, but is still intact & ready for another 2-3 decades of use. Quality counts for a lot!

The armor pads in the AR3 does not seem to be too noticeable - you can always take it out when you want, as they're attached on the inside by velcro. The armor on my waxed-cotton Vanson/UnionGarageNYC Robinson jacket is similarly velcro-attached and is also the new soft d3o pads, so, very low profile. No, I don't think these pads change the fit of the jacket much, if any.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
You should, we have windmills and cheese!

And Hot womens who loves guys with perfectos. Will let you know whenever I go.;)

2wheelgrplr; has a point here the 141 had a big price jump in the last four years wich makes it a bit less of a bang for the buck. At that price point I would get a schott in HH for a 100$ more or go with a cheaper vanson ( they are one of the best deal out there)
Size Wise if you are so interrested in a schott the vintage cut 641 is slimmer and cleaner.

Here is a photo of my 641 horse hide for reference:

5558704502_1d97baaa13_z.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR