Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Sport Coats

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hermès (Seraphin) sit atop the pyramid looking down on a gaggle of Italian makers.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edited to keep pertinent content and "flow". - Feraud.
Ghurka: Since founder Marley Hodgson sold out in 2000 they've moved the lions share of production offshore, mainly China. Mr. Hobson would tell you that in Ghurka's prime, when the goods were made in their Norwalk (CT) workrooms, that they were never in the same league as Hermès.

Allen Edmonds: The second best shoe manufacture in all of America (after Alden); Mind you, there are only two American shoe manufactures left. :(

FYI, Hermès makes shoes as well, they own John Lobb.;)

shortbow

Practically Family
So anyhow Charlie, mine is a 500, made by Coast Sportswear in Vancouver, Canada. I'm ignorant as a post on all that fancy stuff, but this is a real nice jacket, the label says "genuine english suede." Think they skinned out a couple of nice fat young sheep to get the leather. HTH.:)

Edward

Bartender
I have just today been pondering a related question, which I think makes more sense to add as an adjunct to this thread rather than as a separate one. (If mods disagree, please do move to a new thread and accept my apologies).

When did the leather sport coat / blazer first appear? I have one in my wardrobe, which my mother bought for my dad in 1975 (as memory serves, she apparently paid GBP49 for it, which was a considerable amount of money in those days). It came into my possession in the mid 90s. I recently came to wondering when such jackets first were manufactured - was this an unknown concept prior to the 70s, or were they worn in the Golden Age?

Black Prince

Familiar Face
Lambskin blazers are a fundamentally different beast from the tougher, more utilitarian garments produced by Aero, Lost Worlds, etc. I have a couple of beautifully soft jackets from Gieves & Hawkes and Hugo Boss. Both are good quality but the Gieves version is better tailored and hangs more flatteringly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou