Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather spring/summer jackets

Dodo

Familiar Face
Looking for a spring/summer jacket, any advice on which type of light leather is the best choice. I know that in south europe it'll be hotter than in places where many loungers live but I can realize that what you'll wear in daylight I'll wear on evening and nightitme.
So, any advice......?
thanks guys!!

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
What about Aero's summer half belt?
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=58

I always think the Indy style jackets are good for wearing in a bit of heat.
3jackets.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
Would go with the Aero's jerky seal horse - its a mid weight leather and feels light weight in summer - i own one with satin lining (without storm cuffs) ...and love to wear it in summer.
Good luck and BTW ...una mano lava l'altra ...!!

JerkysealHH_breakinafter1Month.jpg

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
agreed with the Baron . . . goat is similiar in weight with jerky horse (have had samples to compare...weight....grain) and with satin lining YES its lightly dressed in summer!
WW

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Goat is good, but it's still heavy. I have 2 goat jackets and they can only be worn when it's cool. Each one weighs 3.5 pounds. Which admittedly is a couple of pounds lighter than horse. It all depends on how thick the leather is cut. Capeskin may be a better option, it just doesn't wear as well.

The problem with an Indy jacket is that it's... an Indy jacket. Wearing a fictional character's costume jacket is a bit sad. I know, I have one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Goat is good, but it's still heavy. I have 2 goat jackets and they can only be worn when it's cool. Each one weighs 3.5 pounds. Which admittedly is a couple of pounds lighter than horse. It all depends on how thick the leather is cut. Capeskin may be a better option, it just doesn't wear as well.

The problem with an Indy jacket is that it's... an Indy jacket. Wearing a fictional character's costume jacket is a bit sad. I know, I have one.

Interesting insight into the whole "costume" thing. I'm not going to say it's a bad thing to wear a fictional character inspired jacket, because they can be very cool, but what if a fictional character wears an A-2 or a B-3 jacket, is it the same deal; imitating the fictional character, or is there less of that because it's military associations?

You know, I like the look of Indiana Jones jackets, but I decided to buy a G-1 for in part, the reason that I would rather not completely imitate the character, because I already own a brown Akubra Federation IV hat that resembles his (except a little more taper, and a teardrop crease instead). So, would you advise against me going with an Indy jacket the next time around?

I like the old school adventurer/explorer look, but there's certainly ways to achieve that other than emulating Indiana Jones.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
All the options here are good ones. I think that lightweight goat without wool cuffs would be a good cool summer night choice. For the day, you might want something lighter in color so that it doesn't absorb as much heat. Thus far, a suede jacket is my favorite for this purpose.

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Philalethes - it stays with me the second summer this year and will looks much better to the end of summer. Much more grain and the reddish undertone comes through.

subject101

One of the Regulars
What temps are we talking about?

In the south of Europe some inland areas can be warm during the day, 80-100F, but still cold at night. Sometimes when it drops to 70F, I guess you feel cold because you suffered very hot weather the whole day.

However, I wouldn't wear a leather jacket in summer in the south of Europe. For me a pullover or a thick shirt is more than enough. Whatever the place, I only grab a jacket at some point below 60F.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars

I think its maybe a little sad when people get all dressed up in full costume (for anything other than fancy dress) but I bought my jacket because I liked the jacket and don't wish to look like Indy. I don't really get the point about it being a fictional character's jacket as I think its no different to wearing a military jacket which was not made for civilians. Does it matter about the origins of the jacket design? I think the Indy jacket works great for warm weather.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I think its maybe a little sad when people get all dressed up in full costume (for anything other than fancy dress) but I bought my jacket because I liked the jacket and don't wish to look like Indy. I don't really get the point about it being a fictional character's jacket as I think its no different to wearing a military jacket which was not made for civilians. Does it matter about the origins of the jacket design? I think the Indy jacket works great for warm weather.

I think the Indy jacket is a very nice jacket. It is not only a fictional character's costume but a shot of what it would had been an A-2 for civilians back in the 30s.

Once I saw a guy in almost full Indy outfit on the street. He has the jacket, the fedora, shirt, pants and adventurer boots. The only thing I missed was the bag and the whip. Since he hasn't the whip with him at that very same moment :lol: he didn't look too much out of place, but I noticed some people turning their heads. He really made my day and I remember I thought WTH with a big smile.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm currently living in the northern-side of South Europe (North Italy) and I won't wear leather in summer for any reason. Actuallly I wore a soft lambskin jacket this morning (April 4, for the future readers ;) ) and had to put it aside, while going around doing my business in a shirt.
And I'm the type of person that suffers terribly for the cold!

OTH, it's always amazing when see tourists or students from northern Europe wearing shorts while we italians are still covered with overcoats and artic parkas... :)

About the "costume" thing: an Indy jacket may well be a costume, but doesn't indeed "look" like one unless paired with the rest of Indy's paraphernalia; I'd don't put that in the same category with pirates' hats ;)

ciao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy