Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lee 101Z 23 oz selvedge jeans

schitzo

Suspended
well, I got the 32s today and they are the right size for me i.e. they fit like a true 34. But the difference between these and the 34s I have is sizeable. In the latter, though the waist is too big, I can move freely and though they are heavy they feel comfortable (ish). The 32s on the other hand are anything but comfortable. Movement is restricted so much so that it makes walking an interesting experience. But I am not deterred! And am really looking forward to conquering a pair of jeans like this. Personally, I can't see how soaking them could make them anymore rigid than they are now, and I may just give them a quick handwash in lukewarm water with mild detergent before I set out on this mission. Thanks for all the input chaps!

All the best
Schitz

schitzo

Suspended
well, I got the 32s today and they are the right size for me i.e. they fit like a true 34. But the difference between these and the 34s I have is sizeable. In the latter, though the waist is too big, I can move freely and though they are heavy they feel comfortable (ish). The 32s on the other hand are anything but comfortable. Movement is restricted so much so that it makes walking an interesting experience. But I am not deterred! And am really looking forward to conquering a pair of jeans like this. Personally, I can't see how soaking them could make them anymore rigid than they are now, and I may just give them a quick handwash in lukewarm water with mild detergent before I set out on this mission. Thanks for all the input chaps!

All the best
Schitz

apba1166

A-List Customer
I would give them a 20 minute cold soak (it'll take a while for water to really permeate them)--zippered!--then dry outside til just a little damp and then squeeze yourself into them and wear for as long as you can...that may help stretch them where they need it most After a couple weeks of wear, you'll know more. Keep us informed. I like the idea of a heavyweight Lee, and I am also a 34. So, curious....

majormajor

One Too Many
Keep us informed. I like the idea of a heavyweight Lee, and I am also a 34. So, curious....

The dealbreaker for me would be the cut.

Are they the classic straight leg, which Lee have traditionally done better than anyone else, or are they a modern "tapered" leg.

Judging by Schitzo's difficulty of movement in them, it sounds like the legs are narrow.:eeek:

Ishmael

Practically Family
Indeed. I see these listed as "slightly" tapered, but I find that, if you're a straight leg man, even that slight taper will be a problem. Looks like the 32w = 8" leg opening. That's a little much for me.

schitzo

Suspended
They're not straight nor are they skinny, I'd say they are slim straight which is typically what I like, though these are probably at the bottom end of slim straight. Any slimmer and I think they'd be skinny jeans. Dimensions are 12.5" across the thighs, knees at just under 9" and hems that are 8". For me I rank them on the threshold of acceptability, as I won't wear skinny jeans

Ishmael

Practically Family
I think "threshold" is exactly right. They're definitely not skinny. I misspoke above. Was comparing the 101z 23oz with my best fitting jeans, but I was using the wrong (i.e. raw) measurements. The Lee's are actually very close to my Pure Blue Japan xx-003, but slightly more narrow in the leg (PBJs are the same in the thigh, but have an extra 1/4" in the leg). On second thought, I will have to give the 101z 23oz a look!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
The dealbreaker for me would be the cut.

Are they the classic straight leg, which Lee have traditionally done better than anyone else, or are they a modern "tapered" leg.

Judging by Schitzo's difficulty of movement in them, it sounds like the legs are narrow.:eeek:

Without a doubt, the LEE 101Zs are much slimmer that the originals. These aren't LVCs...so size accordingly and be sure you want a slimmer fitting jean if you decide to purchase the 101Zs. I usually wear a 35 x 34 tag size in USA-made Levi's 501s, but in the 101Zs, I'm a 33 x 34. Weird, I know, but you still have to buy them so that they fit the way they're supposed to...even if that's pretty darn slim...

www.insurrectionvintage.com

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have some that got caught on film when taking pics of jackets.....

Tapered 634s
Im gonna take new photos of these tomorrow, becasue they have been worn more and even washed once since that pic!

P1010140.JPG

P1010142.JPG

Nudie SlimJim DryJapan

1.jpg

5.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Top quality pics, many thanks - can't beat seeing jeans being worn to get an idea of the fit. Killer jacket in the last two pics, what is it?

schitzo

Suspended
@Cooperson: When they're dry again I'll add a fit pic for you.

@Ishmael: I'm not sure exactly what the correct etiquette is. Perhaps a less specific thread would be useful, but for now I'd probably say just carry on until somebody tells you otherwise.

Edit: In fact I'd like to see a thread with models listed and pics to show fit so I vote go ahead and start one. Ishmael you are the man for the job!

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Top quality pics, many thanks - can't beat seeing jeans being worn to get an idea of the fit. Killer jacket in the last two pics, what is it?

Thanks.

The jacket is an Aero 30´s halfbelt with 2 breastpockets and no sidepockets. It has no halfbelt and the lining is the berry three season tartan. The jacket is very short and is made of the former (thin) oilpull medium weight so it is my summer jacket.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I hope everyone got that the 634s is tapered. I sent them to "The Denim Doctor" to get them tapered. I have put on some waist so I had to get them kinda big, I dont know if thats why, but they were hilariously wide in the legs, I found them unwearable like that so thats why I sent them to be tapered. Now Im very happy with the fit.

j.pelc

New in Town
Are these Lee 101Z, 23oz. sanforized?
I own 2 pairs of these and attached tags are confusing (one says "sanforized, shrink to fit is not an option, buy your size", and second says "will shrink one size") and I don't want any shinkage but I will have to wash them in some months....

Last edited:

j.pelc

New in Town
Coming back to sizing of waist in Lee 101Z, 23oz.
In my 2 pairs, they are almost true to size.
For 31/34 waist is: 1st pair: 30,7 (78cm) and 2nd pair: 31,5 (80 cm).

schitzo

Suspended
I put them in the washing machine for the first time yesterday, on a low heat. Previously they've been dry cleaned thrice.

IMO they look better than when they went in and I am, overall, pleased. However, regrettably something has caused a snag. It's not a hole but looks to me like it could well end up a hole.

Naturally, I called the denim doctor and he reckons he can probably sort if for £10 - 15, though he hasn't actually seen it yet (I just emailed him a couple of snaps now..)

For anyone interested, they don't seem to have shrunk.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy