Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary USA Black Stallion is Back

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
I find anything over 6'3" in height and it just says "this style may not fit your desired look", regardless of other measurements.

I'm still a bit worried about whether or not I made the right choice in getting a 42 over a 44, lol. Someone please reassure me. I'm 6'4 190lb with a 42" chest.
FWIW... I ordered a Size 40 in 618HH about 2 years ago. I was suggested a Size 42 by the Schott website, and is still suggested a Size 42 as of now on the 618hh.

It was big, LOTS of room in the waist area and boxy af, couldve done a 38 instead. Had it tailored and ended up with something of a size 38 in this jacket based on the chart above.

Really hoping my hem measurement is accurate, I sold that 618hh a year or so ago.

Observe

One Too Many
FWIW... I ordered a Size 40 in 618HH about 2 years ago. I was suggested a Size 42 by the Schott website, and is still suggested a Size 42 as of now on the 618hh.

It was big, LOTS of room in the waist area and boxy af, couldve done a 38 instead. Had it tailored and ended up with something of a size 38 in this jacket based on the chart above.

Really hoping my hem measurement is accurate, I sold that 618hh a year or so ago.
Yeah I don't want to be swimming in it. I mean with a 42 there is 6" of chest ease for me along which should be sufficient.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I ordered a 42 for my dad who is 185cm 80kg with a 40-41 inch chest. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of extra p2p for correct measurements elsewhere (sleeve length, hem width). For what is worth, using the calculator on 613S with a preference for slim, gives a suggested tag size 42 in this case.

Also fit depends on combination of pattern + body type + preference. Sometimes extra p2p looks too roomy, other times it looks right depending on pattern.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Yeah I don't want to be swimming in it. I mean with a 42 there is 6" of chest ease for me along which should be sufficient.

Damn... that is actually a lot of chest ease. Mine with a 22" p2p has like 3" but again, I like to only layer with a thin hoodie at the most. Will be wearing it with a shirt 95% of the time.

@mumpy post did make me think twice though. I think I will email to exchange for a 40. The measurements between the the 38 and 40 are not too drastic. I can always tailor to get less, but cant really add more material. Too much of a risk considering the hem. Hmmm....

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Some interesting stuff...

When I search Legendary USA's website for "black stallion" I get two results:

1684850175392.png

The $1300 model, sold out, looks like it has a plaid lining, different from the black diamond quilt lining (nylon/polyester?) in the $918 version.

$918 is super reasonable for a HH jacket from Schott made in 2023. Normally for the last couple years Schott's HH special jackets were $1150-1200+. With 15% new customer coupon (if that applies) it's only $780. That makes it a really good value at that price.

The fine print on LegendaryUSA's website says that "coupon purchases" are considered final sale, no returns allowed. But I just asked their customer service about that, specifically if that policy applies to the new customer coupon, or if that only applies to other types of discount sales, and they said that it does NOT apply to that coupon, these ARE returnable with the new customer coupon. Boom.

Also, they tell me the HH is 1.4mm thick, which seems thicker than the one I just bought...

Here's the auction listing photos from the one I just bought:

s-l1600[1].jpg s-l1600[1].jpg s-l1600[1].jpg s-l1600[1].jpg

Last edited:

Viking752

Practically Family
Some interesting stuff...

When I search Legendary USA's website for "black stallion" I get two results:

View attachment 519609

The $1300 model, sold out, looks like it has a plaid lining, different from the black diamond quilt lining (nylon/polyester?) in the $918 version.

$918 is super reasonable for a HH jacket from Schott made in 2023. Normally for the last couple years Schott's HH special jackets were $1150-1200+. With 15% new customer coupon (if that applies) it's only $780. That makes it a really good value at that price.

Here's the auction listing photos from the one I just bought:

View attachment 519612 View attachment 519614 View attachment 519615 View attachment 519616
My Black Stallion is the 2012 version with black quilt lining. I believe that was the last year until the current run, but the plaid lining you pictured makes me think it was produced again.. Mine still has the shine and looks new after me having for 1 1/2 years and wearing maybe a dozen times. It was very much like new without tags when I bought it. No mouton collar with mine but I bought it second hand But I did get the belt.
IMG_2717.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

If you actually open the listing for the old run, you’ll see the plaid lining pic is a photoshop from when they were originally planning out the jacket. The rest of the pics are of the actual jacket.

Likewise, in the banner ad for the jacket return on the homepage, someone seems to have uploaded a pic of a cheap J-24 but when you click on the item, it’s the pictures of the Schott one we all know.

IMG_4989.jpeg

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
I ordered a 42 for my dad who is 185cm 80kg with a 40-41 inch chest. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of extra p2p for correct measurements elsewhere (sleeve length, hem width). For what is worth, using the calculator on 613S with a preference for slim, gives a suggested tag size 42 in this case.

Also fit depends on combination of pattern + body type + preference. Sometimes extra p2p looks too roomy, other times it looks right depending on pattern.

Got a question, why did we all collectively decide to use the 613S size guide?

I ask because I realized that me and your dad has the same size, except that he is 2 inches taller, and 6 lbs. heavier, but we have the same chest size (what is his waist size?) maybe worth for me to explore a 42 but in my experience, a lot of 40s fit me well (snug) in the chest and shoulders but loose on the belly/waist area.

My Buco J24 has a 19in shoulder, 22in chest, and 19.5in hem and I like the way it fits, and its a 42...

Attachments

• BUCO J24.jpg
    BUCO J24.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 102

Aloysius

There’s no “we all collectively” to it. I suggested it yesterday, because that pattern tapers a little bit more than the standard 613/618. I explained this when I suggested it. The Black Stallion has a waist 2 inches smaller than the tag size.

Furthermore, with all due respect, many Loungers’ concept of something fitting well is basically Gen Z oversized but in the other direction. I’ve seen no shortage of seam-straining downsizing that eventually makes its way to the classifieds.

My take is that not every pattern needs to fit the same way.

Observe

One Too Many
Just to confuse matters I gave Legendary my basic measurements (height 6'4 weight 190, chest 42 and waist 33) and they suggested a 44, even though I ordered 42. I'm sick worrying about the sizing! Lol

Aloysius

Just to confuse matters I gave Legendary my basic measurements (height 6'4 weight 190, chest 42 and waist 33) and they suggested a 44, even though I ordered 42. I'm sick worrying about the sizing! Lol
Given your stated waist/hem preference for jackets (which is the same as mine) I think 42 should work.
Does the quilted lining have any impact what size one would get?
It doesn’t. In fact a guy on Styleforum tested this because he lived in a hot state so he sent Schott his jacket to have the quilted lining replaced with cotton. He said they tuck the quilting in so tightly that there’s no discernable size difference in wearing compared to a cotton lining.

mumpy

A-List Customer

I ask because I realized that me and your dad has the same size, except that he is 2 inches taller, and 6 lbs. heavier, but we have the same chest size (what is his waist size?) maybe worth for me to explore a 42 but in my experience, a lot of 40s fit me well (snug) in the chest and shoulders but loose on the belly/waist area.

My Buco J24 has a 19in shoulder, 22in chest, and 19.5in hem and I like the way it fits, and its a 42...
I have a jacket that is around 19.25 inches on the waist and he tried it and fits slightly snug. I think a 20" inch waist will be better for him.

That Buco J24 fits you very well. The Black Stallion is probably a different fit (more boxy I guess). For a more trim fit I wouldn't size up but maybe it is worth dropping them an email with your measurements and hearing their recommendation as well.

Personally I am 177cm 78kg with a 39-40 inch chest and I would have gone for a tag size 40 in the Black Stallion. I wear a 40 in the 613SH as well and can layer a thin hoodie under that.

The 613SH size 40 has a 19.5 inch waist and around 22.5 inch p2p (off the top of my head). That's more than enough for me (I can do even smaller waist if necessary so in theory I could do size 38 in the Black Stallion but I wouldn't risk because I would be ordering overseas).

Aloysius

In my case I can wear a 19” hem but it’s snug enough that the belt isn’t very useful. I’d rather have the ability to cinch or let out depending on what I’m wearing.

Observe

One Too Many
Given your stated waist/hem preference for jackets (which is the same as mine) I think 42 should work.

It doesn’t. In fact a guy on Styleforum tested this because he lived in a hot state so he sent Schott his jacket to have the quilted lining replaced with cotton. He said they tuck the quilting in so tightly that there’s no discernable size difference in wearing compared to a cotton lining.
I checked another cross zip that I like the fit of and its hem is 19.5". I think 21" hem on the 44, especially with a 50" chest measurement, would be a bit boxy on me at a 42" chest.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
There’s no “we all collectively” to it. I suggested it yesterday, because that pattern tapers a little bit more than the standard 613/618. I explained this when I suggested it. The Black Stallion has a waist 2 inches smaller than the tag size.

Ah ok, gotcha! I thought it was written somewhere that maybe the pattern is the same with the 613S or something.

Furthermore, with all due respect, many Loungers’ concept of something fitting well is basically Gen Z oversized but in the other direction. I’ve seen no shortage of seam-straining downsizing that eventually makes its way to the classifieds.

I am guilty af of this, yeah I think I will size up this time around, if its too loose the first time I try it then its my cue to return it. Jackets that are new should feel a bit restrictive for a few weeks or. Considering its summer I can play the return games anyway.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
OMG, I am guessing the customer service reps do not look at this as meticulous as us.

Now is a good time to bring up "Chest ease" upon a quick search the consensus seems like you need 4 inches of chest ease. I dont know why that is the standard though.

Edit: I may also be over-correcting since I am recently getting over my "skin tight/tailored" leather jacket fit phase, and entering my "how its traditionally supposed to fit" and perhaps a more experienced lounger can chime in.

Edit: Edit: So for you... 42 in chest, you need a p2p of 22-24in... I maybe biased but I did bring the reg ;) although its for a different style...

Attachments

• j-24-jacket.png
    j-24-jacket.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • Reg.jpg
    Reg.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Aloysius

Now is a good time to bring up "Chest ease" upon a quick search the consensus seems like you need 4 inches of chest ease. I dont know why that is the standard though.

TFL consensus, which is pretty off.

4” is great for me on straight-zip jackets. Cross zip wears best with 6” (I have ones that are 4” and 4.5”).

Like a double breasted suit, the cross zip shape is designed to have a bit of swell to the chest that is then brought down.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
TFL consensus, which is pretty off.

4” is great for me on straight-zip jackets. Cross zip wears best with 6” (I have ones that are 4” and 4.5”).

Like a double breasted suit, the cross zip shape is designed to have a bit of swell to the chest that is then brought down.
Yeah I think they went with 4" for layering purposes, people do admit that too.

Wouldnt be a bad idea to get the most out of your jacket, depends on your purpose for it I guess. IDK about y'all, but I dont shy away from tailoring if it bothers me that much since I found a good tailor :p

Is the pic how a J24 is supposed to fit anyways?

Attachments

• BJ21101_001-v1679699346933.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland