Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less pricey Banjo Paterson-Indiana Jones-Akubra hat alternatives?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Greetings, Gents.

I posted a question similar to this in the "ask a question" thread, and after thinking about it I decided maybe I should start a full thread on this.

I'm a rancher. I love hats that are the Indiana Jones/Banjo Paterson/Akubra style, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one because they get sweaty, beat up and basically destroyed over time. I'd rather have one in the $50-150 range that's easily replaceable. Plus, a lot of lower end hats like this are crushable, I've noticed. I don't want crushable. I want a rigid brim.

What I basically did to get me by was buy one of the licensed Indiana Jones hats off eBay. It arrived in all its made-in-China glory. The hat's brim was rigid, but was made to look deliberately distressed. I carefully steamed the brim into more of an Akubra shape and it's acceptable now. I also removed the fancy 1930's-style hat band and replaced it with one with a more cowboy/southwestern look.

It'll do until I find something else. A few years ago Miller Hats sold "Indiana Jones" style hats with more western-style hat bands, but I could not find any listed on their site anymore.

So, does anyone have any ideas? I'd also love to see pics if you have a favorite hat that fits my description.

Thanks.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watch on ebay. Lightly used Akubras go for pretty decent prices regularly on there. They're especially easy to find if you have a smaller head size.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you've been wearing crushable wool felt hats, you really should make the upgrade to a good fur felt. An Akubra is a tough hat, which can be reblocked down the line to give it new life. As long as the felt holds up, the other parts of the hat (ribbon/band, sweatband) can be replaced.

Hatsdirect.com has the Federation IV for $125, it's a good Indy hat.

They also have several Akubra models under $150.

Duper

Practically Family
The Akubra Traveller comes in a few different colours and is fur felt and crushable with that outback look. If you want one a bit nicer and stiff brimmed they have the Leisure Time which runs much less the the Banjo, but is very similar in style. Sam at EA can fix you up with either.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I just looked at davidmorgan.com at the Banjo Patterson, $175 there. You might consider the Angler, for $160, probably a little brim difference, and a leather hatband vs the nicer looking fishskin band on the Banjo Patterson.

viclip

Practically Family
Speaking of David Morgan, the Akubra Squatter is on close-out for $130.00 ~

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=82

It's a tall open crown hat that can be creased/bashed to your heart's content, with a grosgrain ribbon.
I acquired one a few weeks ago in the Moonstone Grey. It's also offered in Fawn. I would note however that the selection is somewhat limited at this point, it's been discontinued so whatever's left is what's left.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I went with the Akubra Angler for now:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1059

It was a toss-up between it and the Banjo Paterson, but the Banjo got one really negative review on David Morgan's site. I also like the vent holes on the Angler.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys! :D

I'm thinking over the summer I plan to buy 2-3 hats in this style, so just because I ordered one doesn't mean all the others are counted out.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Just as an update I got the Akubra Angler. At first I was fairly happy with it, but of course as soon as you've worn it enough that you can't return it, Murphy's Law dictates that you'll change your mind.

When I first got the hat, I could swear that in the bright sunlight the color was sort of a medium brown, but having worn it a few times I'd swear the hat has turned to an almost marine green. I'm not sure of it's my eyes or the hat always had a green tint, but had I noticed that right out of the box I would have returned it. I would swear after wearing it in the hot southwestern sun a handful of times the hat changed color. ???

Since starting this thread I also got an el cheapo $50 Outback Featherlite from Cabela's. It's adequate although you can feel how thin the material is. IIRC I read on some website that it's marketed as a hat appropriate to cold and warm weather, so that tracks. It's good for non-abusive type wear, like for a trip into the city or something. I definitely think it will NOT hold up to outdoor use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo