Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less than I expected...

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Well I've recently enrolled in a little business course in town. So I've had my first couple of opportunities to wear my Akubra Bogart out and about.
(I’ve had it for a while now, will post pics when I get hold of a camera.)

I really did expect to be receiving a lot more flak about it than I have. This town in particular is known for being clogged with a rather simple and malicious sort of teenager… But so far I’ve just had a McDonalds cashier barely suppress a laugh when serving me and a few odd stares. Most of those were from seniors too.

The only verbal comment I’ve received was a compliment from one of my teachers on it. I think perhaps they’re becoming popular among some of us around here, I’ve spotted two myspace profiles of people I went to school with last year fedora-clad (one may not of been a fedora per se, it was hard to tell in the shot), plus a photo in a local newspaper of two young gents in a bar wearing them. Part of me is a little annoyed that I may not have the “racket” on them around these parts. Time will tell whether or not these guys were wearing them as a short-term novelty.

This would mean I’ve seen more 18-25 year olds wearing them here than any other age bracket. (That I recall.)

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Pretty cool that you wear what you like no matter what others think.

Remember when the Lord referred to the people as sheep it wasnt a compliment.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

I had a dame in a pizza joint notice my hat. Her exact word s:
"That's a fly hat!"

Keep wearin what you like. Deep inside most people wish they could.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I wear felt fedoras every day, in a Mexican town which probably hasn't seen all that many over the years (although, interestingly enough, William Burroughs spent time down here, so they would have encountered his). I get nothing but compliments -- in fact, two of the waiters at my local restaurant have asked me to find them vintage fedoras on ebay.

The standard headgear around here: For locals, a cheap straw cowboy hat, with the "taco" brim, in blinding white; for gringos, a shapeless third-rate Panama.

S

Samsa

I too was surprised by the distinct lack of smart-aleck remarks about my Panama. I've received nothing but compliments, and a couple people have inquired where I bought it from. (It seems just having someone wear your hat is good advertising for a hatter.) Today is my first day of wearing a boater, however, and as soon as I walked into work a co-worker made a Vaudeville reference. (Not a rude one, to be sure.)

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
BigSleep said:

"That's a fly hat!"

Thanks, my only problem right now would be I own pretty much nothing that goes with a hat...

Samsa said:
I too was surprised by the distinct lack of smart-aleck remarks about my Panama. I've received nothing but compliments, and a couple people have inquired where I bought it from. (It seems just having someone where your hat is good advertising for a hatter.) Today is my first day of wearing a boater, however, and as soon as I walked into work a co-worker made a Vaudeville reference. (Not a rude one, to be sure.)

I'm going to definitely get a boater eventually. I'd love to see what people make of that.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah yes, Hamburgerus Patheticus, the common McDonald's flunky. A type of creature that's never learned to keep its unsolicited McOpinions to its McSelf.

Matthew, I'd have expected Melbourne to be more accepting of fedoras, given that it's a much more cultured city than Sydney, where wearing a fedora is akin to putting a target on your head! Well at least in the suburbs it is, anyway.

How do you like the Bogart? Has it got a 2.5 inch brim?

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
Ah yes, Hamburgerus Patheticus, the common McDonald's flunky. A type of creature that's never learned to keep its unsolicited McOpinions to its McSelf.

Matthew, I'd have expected Melbourne to be more accepting of fedoras, given that it's a much more cultured city than Sydney, where wearing a fedora is akin to putting a target on your head! Well at least in the suburbs it is, anyway.

How do you like the Bogart? Has it got a 2.5 inch brim?

I've never actually ventured out to Sydney but I would of thought it'd be more the opposite... But then again I'm not really thinking in terms of it's suburbs, of which I know even less than the city proper.

Indeed it does have the 2.5 inch brim. I'm quite happy with it, but not having any real first-hand experience with felt hats I'd of probably said that of any old beater. It fits quite well at size 7 1/2. Although I wouldn't mind trying on a 7 3/8 long oval for a comparison.

I think at this point I'll add my praise of Hatsdirect to that of the other loungers. I'd definitely buy from them again, good service all around.

Razzman

One Too Many
BigSleep said:

"That's a fly hat!"

Big Sleep has it nailed. Most folk don't have the courage. Wear your hat in good health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran