Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LESSON FROM A SHOESHINE BOY

sandysot

New in Town
When WWII ended paper and metals prices dropped like a shot, so the scrap drives we kids participated in no longer earned us much pin money. My seven uncles returned from overseas and in a few weeks they were a regular part of the scene in my neighborhood’s taverns. I built a shoeshine box, went to the supply house for the brushes & wax and began hitting bars and taverns. I made a killing ten cents at a time.
Once, in Kicken’s Saloon, two of my uncles, just out of the the 101st Airborne lined up twenty patrons and required each to hire me to shine their shoes, whether the shoes needed it or not and whether the guys wanted to or not. My shine boy career lasted about three years. Between that and four years in the military, I learned about shoes, shoe shining and shoe care.

The well appointed professional shoe box should contain supplies enough for one’s self,spouse and others in the household. Perhaps as follows:
1 bottle shoe cleaner- all purpose for leather suede, etc.
2 8�inch shoe brushes- horsehair bristle 1 for black 1blond for brown
2 large 6�x20� cotton/canvas shine rags 1 for black 1 for brown
3 daubers-horsehair bristle-1 for black, 1 brown 1 for wash
2- 4oz bottles sole & heel edge dressing 1 black 1 brown
1 bottle white liquid shoe polish
6-10 1 or 2 oz cans shoe polish 2-black,2-brown,1-tan,1-neutral
1-cordovan 1-white
1 Brass suede brush
1 small bottle water diluted dish detergent-cleans shoes and tools.
A place to get stuff http://www.joesshoeservice.com

Shining shoes is easy. If the shoes are dirty, or if you intend to lacquer the sole-edges and heels after you polish them, be sure to clean them first with a wash, mild cleaner or diluted detergent and a brush. Wipe them dry with a rag before applying polish. For a quickie touchup polishing, damp wipe them first. I like to have my hand inside the shoe as I work. You may prefer the wall mount shoe holder. Others wear the shoe and shine them while supported by the shoe box foot rest.

Sandy

android

One of the Regulars
In the military, I did a mirror shine, but I think it looks too extreme on civilian clothes.

I buff to a soft shine with a brush except for my black calfskins I wear with my tux. I shine the dickens out of them.

sandysot

New in Town
The final step in a professional shine is the polish rag."Raggin" is the key to giving a high gloss shine, especially on the cap or toe. Back in the day, our trick was to get the rag into an upside down u or v shape over the shoe,by gripping the ends and pulling down as we passed the rag rapidly over the toe cap.Heat from friction and pressure from the hands while fast "ragging" caused the paste wax to harden to a mirror like glaze on a good leather shoe.
Sometimes if I was feeling up to it, I'd show off how good I was by whistling some tune like "Sweet Georgia Brown while I kept time with my rag and occasionally snapping and popping it like a whip.It was always the finish with the flourish that brought me tips.If I got an exceptionally good tipper I'd suggest that he go the whole way and have me lacquer the edges of the sole and heels.For a slight extra charge o'course.
I can tell you that if you havent applied a good edge lacquer after you've shined your shoes, you just aint shined no shoes nohow.On Saturday night the ladies put on their their lipstick and the groovy guys got their shoes outlined in lacquer. Each lasted about the same length of time; until the first jitterbug or the second kiss.

Sandy

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
sandysot said:
Back in the day, our trick was to get the rag into an upside down u or v shape over the shoe,by gripping the ends and pulling down as we passed the rag rapidly over the toe cap.Heat from friction and pressure from the hands while fast "ragging" caused the paste wax to harden to a mirror like glaze on a good leather shoe.

The problem is trying to do this on my own shoes! I'm not flexible enough to do this while wearing them, and if I don't have them on, the force of the ragging pulls them over.

Andriod, I agree about the mirror shine being extreme; that's why I do it. A matter of taste I guess, but I like to stand out.

sandysot

New in Town
Phil:
One answer for the "horizontally challenged" (those of us who cant reach their toesies) is the wall mounted shoe stand.If one doesnt mind having a wall with an aluminum shoe thingy sticking out of it.I dont like them and never have bought one.

In the military, most guys still got a mirror shine without raggin the toe cap.We sometimes spent hours "spit shining" our shoes, while we bull sh--ted to each other in the barracks. It iinvolves using the tip of the forefinger wrapped in a rag to give the toe cap a one finger pressure shine,describing small circles on the toe cap, alternating with small dips of polish and spit to just keep the rag lubricated.Takes a lot longer than raggin, but the best shines my shoes ever got were when I spit shined them.

android

One of the Regulars
Sandysot's method works perfectly. When I was in the Navy, I took some pride in never purchasing the corofam plastic shoes. I polished my boot camp issued leather shoes to a high shine and was complemented on several inspections.

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
I get the mirror shine

but I will think about the wall mount rack.

Actually, a thing I wish I knew 20 years ago I saw on ask andy... hair blow dryers. you put on a thin wax, let dry, another coat w/o buffing, let dry, repeat 10x or so. Then, hair dryer on hot will melt the wax to make everything nice and smooth. Put on another coat on that, and buff as your normally do.

a very quick way to get your base layers in.

EDIT: forgot to add...
a former marine told me they'd build up the wax, put ligher fluid on that, then light it. Sounds like it would work, but then he's a crazy a** marine rifleman...
a blow dryer is much easier.

sandysot

New in Town
Phil:
Ive heard almost all of the so called "tips" to a great shoe shine and they not only dont work, they can be dangerous too
You just gotta ask what motivates someone to suggest that you set your shoes on fire-dontcha? And a hot air dryer might be carefully used, but only to help dry wet shoes- just dont crack or warp them. Melting shoe wax with flame or hot air is bad business.At best, youll need a knife to scrape off the excess if you melt it on.At worst you may end up with a pair of "fried & crispy" Cole-Hahns"

Always go with the tried and true methods.If you dont want to use a wall mount-then do it the military way and tie the laces tightly, then put your hand in the shoe while you polish them.

Sandy

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Excelent Thread Sandy, Thanks

Thanks a lot Sandy for posting this thread.

Yeah, when I was in the Navy many people came out with outlandish ideas on how to polish shoes. I would always chime in with, "The directions are on the can you know", "and it doesn't say, light can on fire first." Still people would swear up and down that their grandad gave them that wonderful idea. (Shrugs shoulders) Ahhhh, so what do you do?

I think all those crazy ideas came from the fact that there are no directions on the can for a great shine, and most of us 20 somethings who just joined the military actually had no idea at all how to get our shoes that shinny. So, we would do any damn hair brained thing to see if it worked. Sometimes the strangest things seemed to work, other times people would ruin their shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael