Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's raise the bar a little.

jdjs

Familiar Face
My two cents . . .

While I realize that I mostly lurk around here, I find this topic more than a little interesting. It is always interesting to see the variety of opinions.

This morning during one of the our communications classes, we actually got into the topic of forums and postings. One of the students was incensed by the line of discussion that seemed to be nothing more that a "who can complain about X". What he (and eventually the whole class) got into was a discussion of freedom of expression vs. the need for attention/etc. One of the group, who normally contributes little verbally to the group, finally decided to speak. As she so eloquently put it, no one is being forced to post anything. As a result, either you can focus on the positive or focus on the negative. Her take was that by focusing on the positive, all enjoy the experience and everyone takes something away with them. By focusing on the negative, eventually everyone simply goes away - they don't return. A nice thought in the least.

When I first saw this thread (by topic), I was certain that the tone would be the need to rise above the negativity of the past, not to rehash it. The purpose of the board (based on the FAQ and the majority of threads) is to come in and enjoy the camaraderie and the sharing of passions, not to debate the job that MK and company are doing (which has been nothing but exemplary compared to many other forums). While everyone may have the right to disagree, I haven't noted anyone forming their own forum, noted no loss of lives in the news nor noticed that the number of posting has diminished (in point of fact, they actually seem to have increased on a broad variety of topics)

As Section10 stated at the beginning, let us raise the bar. Let us focus on the positive; focus on the future (okay, well that one didn't quite fit, but you get the idea) and move on.

Bebop

Practically Family
Frankly, I was tired of BB overstating his hatred of anything in which he did not believe. Heated debates and tossing hot topics from left to right is one thing but outright bad attitude and having his "I feel sorry for anyone that does not believe what I do" way of thinking was driving me away from any topics on which I thought he would be posting. I won't miss him. I can only imagine the real reason he is no longer a cop. Thank you MK.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the main reasons I come here is because there are no juvenile political or religious rants and raves ongoing with a few people baiting others, calling names, and feeling compelled to have the last word on any topic.

The anonymity of the internet emboldens people to become obnoxious where they couldn't in the brick and mortar world without fear of getting bopped in the teeth.

There are lots of sites that allow and encourage debasing and flaming, where people are still bitching about the last election and the latest attack on their religious group.

Whoever is doing whatever, cut it out and chill.:cheers1:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Solid Citizen said:
2. This is MK's house, he pays for it & is kind enough to allow our daily visits.

Speaking of which, why don't we CONTRIBUTE some cash to this place? All it takes is each of us making a donation via PayPal to MK's account. If you (and you, and you) and I sent, say, $10 to MK, we would give something back for all the posting and learning that goes on around here.

What do you say? How about it?

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Speaking of which, why don't we CONTRIBUTE some cash to this place? All it takes is each of us making a donation via PayPal to MK's account. If you (and you, and you) and I sent, say, $10 to MK, we would give something back for all the posting and learning that goes on around here.

What do you say? How about it?

I'm ready, what account?

Feraud

Bartender
farnham54 said:
The right to speak ones opinion comes with a responsibility to speak it with respect for others.

Cheers
Craig
Thank you! This idea needs to be repeated and understood by folks before they take every statement by a member as a personal attack on their religous/political ideology.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I agree with you all, I think that also we must act as individual members and I think as individuals we should try to steer not approprite conversations back to their topics or at least try instead of getting into the mess. Just try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff