Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
doberdadinmd,

If you have the serial numbers from the back of the movements (not the cases) of the Hamilton and Waltham, we could date these watches.

Don Dahlberg
NAWCC volunteer

Thanks for the idea. I purchased these in the pre-internet days and now I see some online resources to date these. Your post also reminded me that I need to renew my NAWCC membership!

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
My first foray in to the vintage watch thread: Here's my 1936 Hamilton 992. 21 jewels, gold jewel cups, gold gear train. I had this watch serviced about two years ago and until very recently, it was accurate to the original standard of 30 seconds per week.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371325338.950529.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371325363.899943.jpg

I apologize for taking so long to respond. And yes it does appear to be gold inscribed. I took a picture for you opinion.

Yes, it looks just like I figured it would. There is also a date code on the back of most Bulova cases. For yours there should be a letter such as L and a number such as 3. If I remember right the L is for the 50s, M for the 60s and N for the 70s. I have several examples at hand just to check. A Bulova with L2= 1952, Caravelle with M3 = 1963 and an Accutron with N0 = 1970. The 40s examples I am not too sure of.

How do you pop off the backs if you don't have a special tool?

No special tool. Just a sharp knife will do. There is nub or slot that you use to pry it open on Bulova wristwatches. The same is true of other brand name wristwatches that simply pop open. There are others that do need a special tool though---mostly waterproof types. Pocketwatches either unscrew or pop off. Just make sure which type you have. :D

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
I have my grandfather's pocket watch. I had it cleaned and repaired a few years ago (my grandmother had saved the second hand) but it is not running right now. His initials were EY and mine are EAY so my parents gave me many of Ed's items.

IMG_20130619_155216.jpg

_stkccu3_M_M1_1BCQXmRCapHkLmMJ-vi.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130619_155238.jpg
    IMG_20130619_155238.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Three other watches. Another Waltham, and Elgin, and a Harrison. Somehow my dad ended up with the family watches!

GpasOtherWaltham-vi.jpg

ElginWatchFrontOff-vi.jpg

The serial number of the works is in the 1890s, so I think it was probably my great grandfather's watch (father in law of my grandpa with the Walthams)
ElginWorks-vi.jpg

Harrison and Co., Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Can't find any internet info about this company. My father's family was from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.
There are two backs and another piece that I think was/is the cover? No clue. Just learning about watches.

HarrisonFrontClose-vi.jpg

The outer back, which looks unworn, has Wen engraved on it: probably my father, Wendell (b 1919).
HarrisonWenBack-vi.jpg

The inner back is engraved with a name from my maternal grandmother's family.
HarrisonGimbyBack-vi.jpg

HarrisonOpen-vi.jpg

Thanks, I could not figure it out. Do you think the third piece, the unattached one is yet another back? Too many watches, relatives, and backs I have.

The spare lid is probably from a woman's pocketwatch From the early part of last century or even earlier. Women's pocketwatches were much smaller than men's and could be worn on a suitable pin.
The man's wristwatch you have there was originally a pocketwatch movement. Watchmakers in the early twenties, when wristwatches were becoming popular, didn't want to waste materiel and development on a wristwatch fad so they converted women's pocketwatch movements into wristwatches that were no more than small pocket watch cases that you strapped to your wrist. :D I have a few of them from my great uncle. Interesting how the wristwatch fad size now is like having a full sized pocketwatch strapped to your wrist. :p

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Here is a rose gold Benrus that I received as a gift for my birthday this year. From what I understand, it was made around 1950.
IMGP1050.JPG

This is a 1948 Hamilton "Cld." Nordon that was my grandfather's high school graduation present. It sat in a drawer for years not running, until I finally had it restored, and just got it back from the watchmakers today.
IMGP1051.JPG

I believe this South Bend pocket watch belonged to one of my great-grandfathers. I never wear it, and it spends most of its time in a display case on my desk, though I often forget to wind it. It runs good, but I don't really know a thing about it, perhaps someone here might know something about these things.
IMGP1049.jpg

Last edited:

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Thanks, jamespowers. The idea that this may have been, in part, a woman's pocketwatch possibly solves the mystery of the interior initials. It is either a T or an L followed by a J. There are no T given Gimby names in my family tree, and the only L is my grandmother, Leta. So it makes sense that her pocketwatch would have become her son's (my father's) wristwatch at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21