Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip Blackgrass. I think the automatic watches are a nifty concept, I was just afraid you had to spend tons of money to get on that wasn't shoddy. Good to hear I was just being unnecessarily pessimistic.

Viola

funneman

Practically Family
Movado

I was always a Timex guy, because they were cheap, and I could usually find one with a stop watch on it.

I was recently given a Movado by my inlaws, I'm told it's quite expensive. Seems nice.

I'm noticing so many of my pants have watch pockets, so I'm leaning now towards a pocket watch and chain. Probably something new (under warrenty) any suggestions?

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Here's one for the ladies- I bought this a few years ago at an estate sale. It's not working at the moment. I'm wondering if it's worth getting fixed- anyone have an idea what it is? There is no maker's name or mark, but the winder is a translucent blue and the hands are blued to match. The case and the band are very delicately filigreed- it's never tarnished, so I'm wondering if it's platinum instead of silver.

100_1577.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
I recently picked up a watch that favors yours quite a bit, but mine is just a bit larger.

Same style dial, and stone installed on the crown. Mine is an American Waltham. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's what you'd find under the hood of yours if you opened the back.

Regards! Michaelson

MB5

One of the Regulars
funneman said:
I was always a Timex guy, because they were cheap, and I could usually find one with a stop watch on it.

I was recently given a Movado by my inlaws, I'm told it's quite expensive. Seems nice.

I'm noticing so many of my pants have watch pockets, so I'm leaning now towards a pocket watch and chain. Probably something new (under warrenty) any suggestions?

If you are happy with Timex, why not stick with them and get a Timex pocket watch?

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Michaelson said:
I recently picked up a watch that favors yours quite a bit, but mine is just a bit larger.

Same style dial, and stone installed on the crown. Mine is an American Waltham. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's what you'd find under the hood of yours if you opened the back.

Regards! Michaelson

Thanks for the input! I did pop off the back and it's a Sada. 6 jewels and a white gold case- probably made in the 1920s. I guess I will have it fixed- I only paid $15 for it, so it can't help but be worth it.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
What's on my wrist...

Well, I alternate between two watches:

First, my 1937 Bulova. I just love it.

newwatch.jpg

And a battery operated Citizen that isn't worth writing home about. I'm in the market for another winder. I want more vintage watches and ties...

FG.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Here is one of my favorites... a posthumous gift from my Grandfather. It's a Longines wristwatch, housed in white gold with four diamonds on the face. It's in perfect running order with only casual wear on the metal. Not even a scratch on the crystal. My Grandfather was a man of taste! Not sure of the year, the next time it gets opened up I'll have to make a note of the numbers.

Longines1.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

mikepara

Practically Family
Do you mean...

Viola said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Seiko self-winding automatic watches? Or notes on quality in Seikos in general?

I plan to get a first "grownup watch" this year. I have a pocket-watch pendant on a chain from my grandmother but it doesn't work, and I lost my last wristwatch when I moved a couple years ago, and even if I find it now... it has a kitty on the face and a mouse for a second-hand.lol

Kinetic? I have a Seiko Kenetic 200m Divers that doesnt need winding or run on batteries. Its great, keeps perfect time [which is the point] and the movement of your wrist keeps it working. It keeps going for many hours after you take it off but I never have left it off just to see when it does stop. My max is 12 hours. You just adjust the time and put it on to work again after storage. I had to buy my own Divers to actually dive with. Wonder how many never see the Sea?

My only vintage watch An old London North Eastern Railways Station masters Pocket watch that I'm afraid I havent got a pic of.

I used to be issued with a G1098 watch when in the Military and handed it back when I left..should have 'lost' it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace