Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud you have an incredible watch collection. They are all so handsome!

My every day watch is a Tag Haeur. My vintage watch is a Le Coultre. It belonged to my Great Grandmother. For years my mom thought this was a costume jewelry piece. She decided to give it to me for my birthday. I took it to the jeweler immediately to have it cleaned and appraised. No costume jewelery here, platinum and diamonds, and my mom still doesn't know!!:eek: This is my most cherished vintage item.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have the other problem. To many pocket watches, and not enough pockets!lol ;)

Last count, 21, plus 8 wristies. [huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
I wish I could. I tried to forward my Gruen 1937 Veri-thin photos to HJ, but for some reason the attachment didn't make it to him, so I'm stumped.

I have a few photos squirreled away in my email, but to date have yet to successfully get them posted. [huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Michaelson said:
I wish I could. I tried to forward my Gruen 1937 Veri-thin photos to HJ, but for some reason the attachment didn't make it to him, so I'm stumped.

I have a few photos squirreled away in my email, but to date have yet to successfully get them posted. [huh]

Regards! Michaelson
Was that me??? :eusa_doh:

If so, forward them again, please. I am much better at that sort of thing these days. ;)

BTW, I have a bunch of modern watches, but I wear my 1948 Elgin almost everyday. I won it at The Queen Mary a few years back, courtesy of my good friend, Michaelson. :)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Will do, old friend!:)

Drop me an email at mcross@utsi.edu, would you, as I'm not sure I even HAVE yours in our silly University email system anymore.

Nice watch! You have good taste, my friend. ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Stunning!

Daisy Buchanan said:

My every day watch is a Tag Haeur. My vintage watch is a Le Coultre. It belonged to my Great Grandmother. For years my mom thought this was a costume jewelry piece. She decided to give it to me for my birthday. I took it to the jeweler immediately to have it cleaned and appraised. No costume jewelery here, platinum and diamonds, and my mom still doesn't know!!:eek: This is my most cherished vintage item.

Daisy

Your watch is lovely!

Honey Doll

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Michaelson said:
Will do, old friend!:)

Drop me an email at mcross@utsi.edu, would you, as I'm not sure I even HAVE yours in our silly University email system anymore.

Nice watch! You have good taste, my friend. ;)

HIGH regards! Michaelson
I have it on right now, in fact. ;)

I just sent you an email, so hopefully we'll get it straightened out. You have too good of a collection not to share it.

Daisy, that watch is amazing!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Michaelson's Watches

Michaelson writes, "Here’s the Gruen. Dated 1937, European marketed version of the ‘Veri-Thin’. Two tone case with recessed crown. 17 jewel."

"Here’s my 1952 Elgin ‘Shockmaster’. Movement US made, but shortly after this 18j came out, they stopped making this particular movement and began using Swiss movements."

"This is the 18 size John C. Dueber Special (Hampden) railroad grade 1890 pocket watch I inherited when my Dad passed away in January. It’s a 17j, adjusted movement in a ‘cut hunter’ gold case. Keeps perfect time."

Michaelson

One Too Many
THANK you, HJ! :eusa_clap

The Gruen was also cataloged as the 'curvex' due to it's curved case for comfortable wear on the wrist. The movement was cataloged as a 'veri-thin' due to it's long and thin profile, making it capable for casing in those curved cases.

These are just a few of my watches, and they are all completely overhauled and serviced before I use them. I don't collect relics or 'examples' . I collect and USE everything I own, and make sure they are all properly serviced and timed in their performance OF that service.

Regards! Michaelson

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bulova "Goddess of Time," 1940.

watch.jpg

I inherited this from my grandmother -- nothing fancy, just a nice practical everyday kind of timepiece, and I do wear it every day.

Feraud

Bartender
Michaelson, does the Gruen have a brown face? It is a beauty. I notice three initials on the case. Did you add them or is it original to the watch?

Where is the dumbfounded drooling icon when you need it.
This is a great selection of timepieces from everyone.

Michaelson

One Too Many
No sir, the face is also black with gold lettering and gold hands. The initials were already there and original to the watch.

Thank you!:)

Regards! Michaelson

Daisy Buchanan said:

See? I told you that was a winner.
That reminds me. I have to get mine fixed. The darned band broke and it ended up on a cement floor. It don't run no more. :cry:

Regards,

J

Michaelson said:
THANK you, HJ! :eusa_clap

The Gruen was also cataloged as the 'curvex' due to it's curved case for comfortable wear on the wrist. The movement was cataloged as a 'veri-thin' due to it's long and thin profile, making it capable for casing in those curved cases.

These are just a few of my watches, and they are all completely overhauled and serviced before I use them. I don't collect relics or 'examples' . I collect and USE everything I own, and make sure they are all properly serviced and timed in their performance OF that service.

Regards! Michaelson

If you ever get tired of the curvex or the Dueber---let me know. ;) They could have a nice new home.
They are both great watches. Examples of watch craftsmanship at a very high level. Are those Gold jeweled settings in the Dueber?

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
The Dueber, never. It's a family heirloom. Yes, those are indeed gold jewel settings.

The Gruen....WELLL, ya never know.;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
The Dueber, never. It's a family heirloom. Yes, those are indeed gold jewel settings.

The Gruen....WELLL, ya never know.;)

Regards! Michaelson

If its a family heirloom then its where it belongs. :D Very nice. Interestingly, standards for the railroad models went even higher in 1893 after that huge train crash. That watch still would have made it though. ;)
Gruen...hmmmm. :D

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Actually, that Dueber would have been accepted into railroad sevice well into the 20th century...but after the 'jewel wars', it's 17j count, size, and being a single roller would have been outlawed....but it would have held it's own until the late teens. ;)

It belonged to my Great-Great Uncle who was a lawyer in Columbus, Ohio at the turn of the 20th century for either the NYC or Pennsylvania (which one has long since been lost to family history), so it actually WAS in railroad service during that time period.

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters