Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Beer Baron

New in Town
Actually I've been in the market for a wrist watch. I haven't worn one in 15 years and don't know where to look for a nice vintage one. Any suggestions?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Check ebay or a local specialty antique shop for a nice vintage good condition or refurbished one. it ill always hold value and look great, and a classic watch is always acceptable in business settings if it is a nice enough forties or so one, or if it is a sixties rolex or something like that.

You don't look like you have an old watch, you look like a classic guy.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Hamilton makes some fine watches. They have a vintage line also reasonably priced.http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/index_flash.html
I have a Hamilton "Daredevil" styled after the movie with Ben Affleck.
h18515737.jpg

http://shop.joseph-watches.com/joseph/en/FMPro?-db=gaj.fp5&-format=index.html&-view
http://www.yorktime.com/
http://www.girards.com/
http://www.finertimes.com/asp/watches/query.asp?mode=toplevel&Title=Timepieces&TypeCode=0

That should keep you busy for a while.
The top on, Josephs has the best, but you'll pay also.I have a few more links at home I'll send you that have reasonably priced watches.

I recommend buying a Hamilton.
h13511753.jpg
Retro style and quality and it's new. I have a 70's Omega and the Day stopped working on it. You really have to be careful buying older watches.
http://www.wristwatch.com/category.aspx,,categoryID,,14914

poetman

A-List Customer
Vintage Watch

I am wondering if you all could reccommend, preferably with photos, types of watches that are dressy enough to wear with a suit or tux that have a metal band. I get terrible irritation with a leather strap, but I love the classic look. Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
For suits and/or tux I currently wear a Seiko with black skin/leather strap. The Seiko is very thin, no date, quartz, with a gold colored face. Price about $127. Slides easily under French cuffs.

For everday wear, work, play, sweat, sports, etc. I wear a Rolex Submariner Date in stainless steel. Price including tax about $5,600.

Cheers,

M8

P.S. I'll upgrade the dress watch someday.

Chaperon

New in Town
Thank you! Thank you!

Great ! Lots of great watches to look at! I'm strangely drawn to a somewhat plain semi-vintage Rolex Oyster (note my glazed eyes) which fortunately is not too expensive (considering).

I also really like the Hamiltons !

One on each wrist! That's the answer.....;)

cooper

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Jaeger-LeCoultre
What Tomasso says. They're priced fairly high. Watches like the LeCoultre are more of a timepiece than a watch. For everyday wear I don't feel bad banging around a Hamilton. They come with a Swiss ETA movement. Thats all ETA does is make movements.Omega , Rolex and some of other big Swiss and German watchmakers use their own.
This guy is top notch on vintage wrist wear...http://shop.joseph-watches.com/joseph/en/FMPro?-db=gaj.fp5&-format=index.html&-view

Sorry, can't post pics from this site. Hey Admin..Can you allow pics from this site?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Hamilton and others made a style called the TANK watch and that is a swell classic look.

Louis Cartier introduced the tank watch in 1917. It was popular throughout the '30s and '40s. I have one and I love it for dress wear.
W1529756.jpg
W1529956.jpg

Although mine is an inexpensive quartz one; not a $5,000 Cartier model. You can find find clones of the original Cartier tank watch in a wide variety of prices, depending on the quality you are looking for.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Signals has some nice watches

There are a few inexpensive reproduction watches sold on Signals.com. I tried to get a link to post a couple of photos here directly but they've blocked right-clicking. Go to this page to see them. I like several. My concern is with band sizes--I seem to have a large wrist size so I generally prefer to try a watch on before I buy it.

Cheers,
Tom

Naphtali

Practically Family
Somewhere deep in the CLASSIFIED stacks I have two vintage watches at sale.

I haven't pursued their sale because I've moved from one edge of the country to the other. I'm not positive I can put my hands on them immediately.

One is a Croton mechanical chronograph, a little on the sporty side. The other is a Longines dress watch.

Both have acrylic crystals, and are waterproof, manual wind, Swiss made, circa late 1940s.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Naphtali said:
Somewhere deep in the CLASSIFIED stacks I have two vintage watches at sale.

I haven't pursued their sale because I've moved from one edge of the country to the other. I'm not positive I can put my hands on them immediately.

One is a Croton mechanical chronograph, a little on the sporty side. The other is a Longines dress watch.

Both have acrylic crystals, and are waterproof, manual wind, Swiss made, circa late 1940s.
Those are good watches.Don't let them go cheap.They command a decent price.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Cooper:

Thanks for the compliment. I agree the watches are interesting. In -- what?? -- 2002 or 2003 I entered a watch tizzy. I wanted to obtain the most reliable, durable, yet attractive wrist watch available regardless of price. My only restrictions were: it had to be analog (my requirements forced this anyway); it had to have size appropriate for my wrist; and it had to be unobtrusively light.

Everything coalesced to the obscure Omega 2514.50. I bought two of them, a lifetime supply. Wearing the Omega with a size-appropriate deployant strap rather than the clunky bracelet, the watch meets my requirements precisely.

I'm a user rather than a collector. So the vintage watches have gone on the block.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Naphtali said:
Cooper:

Thanks for the compliment. I agree the watches are interesting. In -- what?? -- 2002 or 2003 I entered a watch tizzy. I wanted to obtain the most reliable, durable, yet attractive wrist watch available regardless of price. My only restrictions were: it had to be analog (my requirements forced this anyway); it had to have size appropriate for my wrist; and it had to be unobtrusively light.

Everything coalesced to the obscure Omega 2514.50. I bought two of them, a lifetime supply. Wearing the Omega with a size-appropriate deployant strap rather than the clunky bracelet, the watch meets my requirements precisely.

I'm a user rather than a collector. So the vintage watches have gone on the block.
Which one is the 2514.50?Is that an Aqua Terra or a planet ocean?Not only a work of art but indistructable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou