Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Bulova "Goddess of Time," 1940.

watch.jpg

I inherited this from my grandmother -- nothing fancy, just a nice practical everyday kind of timepiece, and I do wear it every day.

Lovely watch Lizzie. The name suits you. A G-dess watch for a G-dess:D Isn't it so nice to have a watch or other jewelry thats been passed down through the family.

James, you were right:) Thanks for the advice you gave me a while back, it was very helpful (smarty pants:p )
So sorry to hear about your watch, that stinks. I hope you get it fixed soon.

Daisy Buchanan said:
James, you were right:) Thanks for the advice you gave me a while back, it was very helpful (smarty pants:p )
So sorry to hear about your watch, that stinks. I hope you get it fixed soon.

Hahahahhaah! I am glad it was what I thought it was. That was one heck of a nice heirloom to get. Don't tell any of the family. ;) :p
I think I'll run by my watchmaker today and see if he can fix it. I just won't like the bill. Serves me right for putting a cheap band on an expensive watch. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
If it hit a concrete floor, more than likely a broken balance staff. :(

Depending on the watchmaker and his skills, not a super terribly expensive repair...unless he has to make one, then it could get interesting.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Actually, that Dueber would have been accepted into railroad sevice well into the 20th century...but after the 'jewel wars', it's 17j count, size, and being a single roller would have been outlawed....but it would have held it's own until the late teens. ;)

It belonged to my Great-Great Uncle who was a lawyer in Columbus, Ohio at the turn of the 20th century for either the NYC or Pennsylvania (which one has long since been lost to family history), so it actually WAS in railroad service during that time period.

Regards! Michaelson

Its still a great watch. I don't care what Mr. Ball would have said. ;) :p
I would have had a problem bringing my watch in once a month to have its accuracy checked though. Geez, lose a few minutes and you were wearing a lender until you could get it timed right. :eusa_doh: I actually have a lender here somewhere. The abuse those watches took probably is explained by my above comments. ;)

Regards,

J

Michaelson said:

Depending on the watchmaker and his skills, not a super terribly expensive repair...unless he has to make one, then it could get interesting.

Regards! Michaelson

I thought it was the balance staff too. Good call. Around here a repair like that starts at $85. Hard to find parts make it even higher. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep, that's about the going price for one, depending on make and model.

Old Web C. didn't have very many Duebers flying his banner, but then, he was mainly a Hamilton/Elgin contract jeweler, so I wonder why?lol My single roller ORRS Hamilton/Ball model 999 is a fine carry too. Keeps GREAT time.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Yep, that's about the going price for one, depending on make and model.

Old Web C. didn't have very many Duebers flying his banner, but then, he was mainly a Hamilton/Elgin contract jeweler, so I wonder why?lol My single roller ORRS Hamilton/Ball model 999 is a fine carry too. Keeps GREAT time.

Regards! Michaelson

I sort of figured he was biased.
I am glad that is going price. At least I know I am not getting bent with those prices. :p

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
No, he's quoting you a fair price if he's good. I personally know of a watchmaker in the Phoenix area that charges no less than $300 for that job. Seriously!:eusa_doh:

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Nope. He's an old world trained German who believes any watch that crosses his bench must be returned to absolute factory spec in every way, and charges accordingly.
He must do ok, as he has a waiting list in Phoenix for their turn to have their watches worked on.[huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Nope. He's an old world trained German who believes any watch that crosses his bench must be returned to absolute factory spec in every way, and charges accordingly.
He must do ok, as he has a waiting list in Phoenix for their turn to have their watches worked on.[huh]

Regards! Michaelson

I suppose that is fine but in order to get it to factory specs, you would have to just about replace every gear and staff to get rid of 100 years of wear. If he charges $300 for that then it makes sense. By the way, I want a gold train while he is in there. ;) :p

Regards,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Problem is, you might get what you 'wish for' at a shop like that.;)

They have master craftsmen at the shop who CAN individually cut replacement gears, and they probably COULD create a gold train for you.

You'll have to mortgage the house, farm, car, and your next 5 years paychecks to pay for it!lol

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
Problem is, you might get what you 'wish for' at a shop like that.;)

They have master craftsmen at the shop who CAN individually cut replacement gears, and they probably COULD create a gold train for you.

You'll have to mortgage the house, farm, car, and your next 5 years paychecks to pay for it!lol

Regards! Michaelson

I thought that was included in the $300. :p

Michaelson said:

Regards! Michaelson

I just checked it out since I was going to take it to the watchmaker. It still runs but needs a correct crown and new band of course. Maybe I will get it cleaned and adjusted as well.
watch.jpg

I'll be glad to have it back again. I am also taking in a pocketwatch that just decided to stop working.

Regards,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Recently Acquired WW1 Vintage Pocket Watches-

Here are a couple I have picked up on holiday in New Zealand.

Excuse the large, coarse photos.

"The Sphinx"- WW1 military watch- black face- probably from a catalogue shop, such as Army Navy Stores, London.
solid Nickel.

The second and very fancy one is from the same era- made in London by Dents. It is a Turkish Army Officer watch- no doubt war booty from Gallipoli. I saw a very similar but not so nice example at Waiouru Army Museum, in their Gallipoli display.
800 Silver.

DSCN3448.jpg

DSCN3455.jpg

DSCN3451.jpg

DSCN3450.jpg

DSCN3452.jpg

DSCN3454.jpg

DSCN3453.jpg

Still in NZ-
B
T

Chaperon

New in Town
Looking for a wristwatch...

This has probably been asked before, but as I'm new and didn't find it in a search, I'll ask again.

Where can one find a decent wristwatch appropriate to wear with a suit these days? All I can seem to find are either sports types or are just too modern for my taste.

Either new or gently used is fine; a leather band is a must. I'd like to stay below $500 as I have a new Panama to buy also (smile) but I'd go higher for just the right thing. I like watches to be slim and smallish, and a bit understated.

Anyone have favorite sources or brands?

Thanks -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou