Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Ball Fireman Nighttrain

A good friend of mine has serious thoughts about this watch:
2296236294_c5fe48ec31_z.jpg

Any experience? Recommendations? Objections?

(image by Markus Bahlmann aka cnmark @ Flickr)

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
It's running great, keeps perfect time. I've got to do something about the band though. It's tight at the furthest hole.
How do y'all think the watch would look, for casual wear, with a OD green canvas band? I'm thinking about going that way for day to day wear and getting something exotic to switch out when I dress up, like Ostrich or Sting Ray.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Crappy pic, I left the camera outside and the one on my phone, obviously, sucks.
IMG_20101010_211348.jpg

My, new to me, Rolex, on top of my P9S on top of the Nat Nast sport shirt I wore today.

Talbot

One Too Many
HHISIII said:
IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!
Any tips/tricks for the hand wound 15j movement? I just wound it a small amount as I don't want to overwind the spring. It's great watching that blued second hand make its 8bps!
I have to get a slightly longer band, as it's a fairly small watch, but it's exactly what I was looking for!!

I have been told to wind watches only once each day, and do it slowly so you can feel when it is close to fully wound.

Glad the long wait is over.:)

T

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I think I've got the feel for winding it now, there is a rather pronounced point at which it becomes much stiffer. It appears that a winding keeps it goin just shy of 2 days.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A typical mechanical watch (handwound) will run for a day and a half (about 36 hours, give or take a bit). Self-winding/automatic mechanical watches run for about two-three days, I think.

Talbot

One Too Many
A typical mechanical watch (handwound) will run for a day and a half (about 36 hours, give or take a bit). Self-winding/automatic mechanical watches run for about two-three days, I think.

Just found an advertisement for a 1958 Universal Polerouter with the Microtor Automatic movement. They advertise a 2 day power reserve.

T

Quixote

New in Town
I want, I want one of these. Too bad they don't ship to Europe...

17460_L.jpg

EDIT: After some research, I can find some very contradicting information about Stauer quality. Is it in fact a good thing that I'm not able to spend my money on one?

Last edited:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Very nice Matt! I actually don't mind winding a mechanical watch everyday. There is something nostalgic about it, and I get used to hearing the ticking on my wrist throughout the day.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
You just get into the habit of winding your writstwatch up without too much thought after a while. I have a Panerai and an Oris (modern watches, but mechanicals) and a few vintage 30's and 40's. That and good coffee (ohhh and the odd cigar) are my main vices I'm allowed to have! But a fine watch 'does' make a statement, I think so anyway, plus it just makes 'me' feel good, so win-win.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
One of my latest catches which I got from a fellow Hamilton collector:
The Paige of 1940/41 with the rarer dial variation (gilt dial with black marker). It's a really cute beauty of the art deco era even while it is quite small with only 34 x 28 mm. It is still a men's watch but one of the smallest of that time I think:
paige2.jpg

One of my latest catches which I got from a fellow Hamilton collector:
The Paige of 1940/41 with the rarer dial variation (gilt dial with black marker). It's a really cute beauty of the art deco era even while it is quite small with only 34 x 28 mm. It is still a men's watch but one of the smallest of that time I think:
paige2.jpg

That is something that I have noticed. Today's men's watch is a HUGE watch compared to what they used to be. People mistake men's watches from 60 years ago as women's watches all the time. I hate to tell them that women's watches were very small. :rolleyes:
What gives with the huge watch trend? They are ugly and I don't need to tell time from across the room on another man's wrist. If I wanted to strap a pocketwatch on my wrist that is what I would do. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay