Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Picked up a few vintage watches yesterday from a local jeweler friend of mine. He keeps an eye out for decent working vintage watches for me, and this time I scored an Elgin, and two Bulova wrist watches. This one happens to be my first tank watch so I wore it to work today to try her out. It is a nicely running gold filled Bulova tank, symbols for both 1940 and 1941 on the 17j movement.

View attachment 9074

-Max

I love those! The best part about them is that they don't feel like the modern "alarm clock strapped to your wrist" things. :p

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
That is a very nice 40's Bulova "Commodore" model you have Picard1138. Looks like it may still have the signed crown. You can tell the year of the case by the first digit in the seven digit serial number. If it's a "0" it's a 1940 and if it's a "1" it's a 1941. I'm drooling just looking at it. It is very rare to find one in such great condition.

watch shoes etc 001.jpg watch shoes etc 002.jpg

Hi Folks.

I just wanted to share my time pieces. The only vintage is the 30/40 Gruen.. I wear her when I put my vintage look together.
The Franck Muller, is my most expensive... and gets worn with brown and blue suits..
The modern invicta's were gifts from my children and get worn with casual outfits. I like the rose gold cases..
I really enjoy everyone's post and look forward to viewing some classic watches..
Enjoy and best regards.

CCJ

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
This is my 1943 Bulova "Minute Man" model. It has a 10AK 17 jewel movement in a 10K rose rolled gold plated bezel with a stainless back. I bought it not running, missing the crystal and crown. It looked like this.

I cleaned and oiled the movement and cleaned the case and band, installed a new G-S CMY 305-10 crystal and a Bulova part # 202 rose gold crown and now I have a fairly decent looking Bulova that functions properly again. I really enjoy bringing these vintage Bulovas back to life.

Annixter

Practically Family
Nice, Merc. I have a slightly similar Bulova (same band) that belonged to my stepfather's father. It's seen a heck of a lot more wear than yours, however. I love that particular numeral font, reminiscent of deco-Arabia.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
This is my 1936 Bulova "Canadian Clipper" model. It has a 10AE 17 jewel movement in a 10k rolled gold plated case. It still has the original band although it is too small to go over my big hands, I just can't bring myself to change it. I like them to remain as original as possible.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
This one is rare. This is my 1952 Bulova "Aeronaut." It has a 10UT 17 jewel movement in a case that has a 10k rolled gold plated bezel with a stainless back. Bulova only used the 10UT movement in two models of their watches. This one still has the original band and it's still in the original "Treasure Chest" box. I've only seen 2 other examples of this model.

Annixter

Practically Family
Both excellent watches; I particularly like the "Canadian Clipper." I'm with you on keeping them as original as possible. As your examples prove, vintage bands can be pieces of art in and of themselves.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I guess it's ok to put vintage ladies watches on here although I don't see any. If not just remove this.
This one is my 1921 Bulova "Lady Maxim." It was made before Joseph Bulova patented the Bulova name in 1924. I guess that's why it's not on the dial.
It has a BII 15 jewel movement and still running strong. It doesn't show what the case is made of. It just shows Wadsworth, Warranted 20 years.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice one! The lugs add just enough size to make it wearable on a large wrist, which most of the oldies aren't IMO.

My uncle (on the right in photo) could have used something similar:

image.jpg

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I also like this one- good thing since I have another example of this. The only real problem is the center raised areas of the lugs tend to wear noticeably, if you're not careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner