Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
The "1920s Swiss Military Watch" is indeed from the late 1910s to the early 1920s. The style is called a round cushion. It is not a military watch, but has a military connection.

In the early 1910s, a man showing up wearing a wristwatch might as well show up wearing a dress. Wristwatches were for women in the US, but were more accepted in Europe. When our boys went to France to fight in WWI, they learned that a wristwatch, or at least a pocket watch strapped to the wrist was much more convenient and safer (from sniper fire) in the trenches. So they came how from the war with wristwatches and safety razors.

So following the war it was acceptable for a man to wear a wristwatch if he was a veteran, and/or involved in a sport, or driving a race car, or flying a plane or some similar activity. In the evening, he should return to his pocket watch.

Still the popularity of the pocket watch among the young took off like the smart phone. By 1928, the wristwatch outsold the pocket watch in the US.

Take a look at http://beckertime.com/blog/short-history-of-womens-wrist-watches/ where I quote

“… after the end of World War I, a lawyer was arguing a point of law in court when Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis noticed that the lawyer was wearing a wristwatch. The judge halted the lawyer in mid-sentence and asked him if he served in the war. When the lawyer responded he had not, Judge Landis ordered him to remove the watch, admonishing him that it was inappropriate for non-veterans to wear a wristwatch. Judge Landis was subsequently appointed the commissioner of Major League Baseball to clean up the sport’s image after the “Black Sox World Series” scandal in 1919. This involved “Shoeless” Joe Jackson of the Chicago White Sox and seven of his teammates. Landis ruled baseball with an iron fist from Nov. 12, 1920 to Nov. 25, 1944.”

In 1928 that same Judge awarded the World Series champions, New York Yankees, Hamilton Piping Rock wristwatches.

Don

The "1920s Swiss Military Watch" is indeed from the late 1910s to the early 1920s. The style is called a round cushion. It is not a military watch, but has a military connection.

In the early 1910s, a man showing up wearing a wristwatch might as well show up wearing a dress. Wristwatches were for women in the US, but were more accepted in Europe. When our boys went to France to fight in WWI, they learned that a wristwatch, or at least a pocket watch strapped to the wrist was much more convenient and safer (from sniper fire) in the trenches. So they came how from the war with wristwatches and safety razors.

So following the war it was acceptable for a man to wear a wristwatch if he was a veteran, and/or involved in a sport, or driving a race car, or flying a plane or some similar activity. In the evening, he should return to his pocket watch.

Still the popularity of the pocket watch among the young took off like the smart phone. By 1928, the wristwatch outsold the pocket watch in the US.

Take a look at http://beckertime.com/blog/short-history-of-womens-wrist-watches/ where I quote

“… after the end of World War I, a lawyer was arguing a point of law in court when Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis noticed that the lawyer was wearing a wristwatch. The judge halted the lawyer in mid-sentence and asked him if he served in the war. When the lawyer responded he had not, Judge Landis ordered him to remove the watch, admonishing him that it was inappropriate for non-veterans to wear a wristwatch. Judge Landis was subsequently appointed the commissioner of Major League Baseball to clean up the sport’s image after the “Black Sox World Series” scandal in 1919. This involved “Shoeless” Joe Jackson of the Chicago White Sox and seven of his teammates. Landis ruled baseball with an iron fist from Nov. 12, 1920 to Nov. 25, 1944.”

In 1928 that same Judge awarded the World Series champions, New York Yankees, Hamilton Piping Rock wristwatches.

Don

Thank you very much for all the information. I knew small parts of it - wristwatches becoming acceptable for men owing to WWI - but not much else. Great story about the judge and baseball. What a different time.

I love the stained glass hands on that watch. It looks sort of like a Tiffany lamp.

Thank you. I did something I rarely do, I made an impulse purchase on Ebay because I thought the watch was just that good looking and it fit a hole in my watch "needs." It is at least as pretty in person as in the pictures. And the hands are gorgeous as you noted.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Try Camberwell Market. I have heard of some good scores there. Alternatively, eBay.

Thanks but they're a little too random for my taste I prefer a dealer with a track record. Maybe you know of a reliable eBay dealer? To me Camberwell Flea market is pretty limited these days and many of the stall holders are semi-pro shysters. It was great in the 1970's.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I don't doubt it but I've only ever seen **** there.

Like a good tailor, building a relationship with a good watchmaker can take time and patience.

My watchmaker sells at Camberwell sometimes but mostly old tat. Get to know him and he'll offer you some interesting stuff - but it won't be cheap.

Savour the hunt, have patience, and avoid asking for specific brands unless you are knowledgable on the brand.

Good luck

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Like a good tailor, building a relationship with a good watchmaker can take time and patience.

My watchmaker sells at Camberwell sometimes but mostly old tat. Get to know him and he'll offer you some interesting stuff - but it won't be cheap.

Savour the hunt, have patience, and avoid asking for specific brands unless you are knowledgable on the brand.

Good luck

I've never been to tailor but I think I follow - problem is I'm not a patient guy; I want to walk into a place see a selection, choose and buy. Thanks for the advice.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I recently bought this old Ingraham planning to use the band on something else. The minute hand was off of it and I assumed it wouldn't run. But when I received it I wound it and it started running. You can hear the no jewel movement tick from 3 feet away. I took the movement out of the case and the minute hand was hiding in there. I put it back on and checked it after 12 hours and it was keeping perfect time. I did a little research and found you could date an Ingraham by either 3 or 4 numbers stamped on the movement. The first or first and second are the month and the last two are the year of manufacture. This one has 542 stamped on it. I think that means it was made in May 1942. These cheap watches sold for about $2 new. I am just blown away that a watch that cheap is still running after 72 years.

Talbot

One Too Many
I've never been to tailor but I think I follow - problem is I'm not a patient guy; I want to walk into a place see a selection, choose and buy. Thanks for the advice.

The antique dealers on High Street Armadale used to be good for that, but I have not been there in a long time. You will pay a lot more there however.

Magister

Familiar Face
Not vintage per se, but I'm pretty fond of this wind-up replica flieger with a lefty crown.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I never go to that place, Talbot. Too damn expensive.

Agreed, wise words, but if you want selection....

Anyway, it does one's reputation little to be seen consorting with antique dealers. Dodgy lot.

I recently settled an estate (Mother in Law) comprising entirely of antique furniture, mostly Biedermeier. An eye opening experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner