Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Bought this old Elgin from 1951 for $55.
watch.JPG

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
When I retired from the army I promised myself a Rolex, eventually buying a 1987 bi metal Datejust, and on the way picked up a beautiful 1952 Omega Cal. 265 with a 9ct case made by Dennison. This photo isn't mine but is the same model. I really like this old watch.

And this is the Rolex popped onto a leather strap. I think the black dial and black strap make the piece look much more understated as well as saving the Jubilee bracelet from any more stretch. I had actually paid for a birth year 1968 Datejust with white gold bezel but the sale fell through so after I got my money back I found this one with the more unusual black dial. Most bi metal Datejust I have seen have the champagne dial.

1930s Waltham
Wish it were mine! It belongs to one of the housemates.
Named to Harry J. Klingler (1889-1966), GM vice-president and Chevrolet general sales manager. He later became head of the Pontiac division from 1934 to 1950.

Edit: I am now the proud owner of the watch. I just bought it off my housemate. :D

1807c755-ba5e-4727-a00b-357cc2829cc5_zps803d7e07.jpg

f4374161-b74b-44e9-b9f0-6b27163fdc17_zps26457486.jpg

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
When I retired from the army I promised myself a Rolex, eventually buying a 1987 bi metal Datejust, and on the way picked up a beautiful 1952 Omega Cal. 265 with a 9ct case made by Dennison. This photo isn't mine but is the same model. I really like this old watch.

And this is the Rolex popped onto a leather strap. I think the black dial and black strap make the piece look much more understated as well as saving the Jubilee bracelet from any more stretch. I had actually paid for a birth year 1968 Datejust with white gold bezel but the sale fell through so after I got my money back I found this one with the more unusual black dial. Most bi metal Datejust I have seen have the champagne dial.

That Omega is a wonderfully classic wristwatch. More & more I find such preferable to the current production featuring dials so cluttered with complications as to be illegible notwithstanding their enormous dimensions. Not that I would be averse to picking up a modern perpetual calendar Patek Phillippe in gold or platinum, I could force myself to live with one.

As for your Rolex, I am in the minority of watch enthusiasts that likes black dials, which dials I also find to be most easily readable at a glance. My fondness for black dials has allowed me to pick up some fine wristwatches at close-out prices. Interest in older Rolexes continues unabated.

Your admirable pair of vintage wristwatches undoubtedly serve you well whether for daily or special occasion wear, thx for posting them.

viclip

Practically Family
1930s Waltham
Wish it were mine! It belongs to one of the housemates.
Named to H.J. Klingler, vice-president and general sales manager, Chevrolet.

1807c755-ba5e-4727-a00b-357cc2829cc5_zps803d7e07.jpg

f4374161-b74b-44e9-b9f0-6b27163fdc17_zps26457486.jpg

The Chevy dial logo & associated engraving on the back make this watch an especially interesting piece, as does its octagonal case. It appeals not only to vintage watch enthusiasts but to Chevy motorheads as well (I plead guilty on both counts)

viclip

Practically Family
Looking at the way the inscription is worded leads me to believe that this watch was awarded by Mr Klingler rather than to because his name appears like a signature.

Yes he was certainly prone to use watches as merit awards. A Google search does bring up some contemporary news items wherein he presented watches to GM staffers for such things as 25 years service. I can't help thinking that if he was the recipient of a merit watch, given his position, same would have been in gold ~ now that would be a highly desirable item!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
It's not vintage, it new. Its made by Citizen, and it is powered by light. It looks vintage however. When the band rots, I will place a Speidel stretchy bracelet band on it.
XGY3jbI.jpg

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
That Omega is a wonderfully classic wristwatch. More & more I find such preferable to the current production featuring dials so cluttered with complications as to be illegible notwithstanding their enormous dimensions. Not that I would be averse to picking up a modern perpetual calendar Patek Phillippe in gold or platinum, I could force myself to live with one.

As for your Rolex, I am in the minority of watch enthusiasts that likes black dials, which dials I also find to be most easily readable at a glance. My fondness for black dials has allowed me to pick up some fine wristwatches at close-out prices. Interest in older Rolexes continues unabated.

Your admirable pair of vintage wristwatches undoubtedly serve you well whether for daily or special occasion wear, thx for posting them.

Thank you for the kind comment Viclip. I now have a nice wooden watch box with display glass top to keep my watches in and sometimes it is just nice to look at them. They are overdue some wrist time I must admit.

civilguy007

New in Town
I really like the Omega Railmaster, but it is way beyond my means. So I jumped at the opportunity to pick-up this...an Omega Dynamic Date (3rd generation circa 1999). My first automatic. It's the closest I will ever get to a Railmaster. This doesn't qualify as vintage, but I like the simple design.

2015-02-23 23.15.11.jpg

Christopher Scoggins

New in Town
Here's the watch my dad gave me for my 18th birthday.

DSCN0018_zpsuxdev9be.jpg

Nothing special, not even vintage. It's an inexpensive Seiko dress watch made circa 1999. They don't even have a fancy name for it! Ah well, it looks good enough, and looks like a good of a place as any to start a collection.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails