Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Quintessential

New in Town
Non Date Submariner..

In Bullit amd generally Steve wore a Rolex Submariner, model 5512 or 5513..A very collectable watch. I have a picture, but not sure how to post. I also have seen pics of him wearing a Hanhart Chrono..

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That's true, but I think he was wearing something like a Hamilton in Bullitt- I was never able to get a decent screen cap, but it didn't look like a Rolex.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just curious (and I didn't see anything on this previously), what are your thoughts on Bulova?

Both of my grandfathers owned Bulovas, ranging from very classy and elegant to run-of-the-mill. I received a 98G05 two-toned Marine Star after one grandfather passed away.

I personally enjoy these watches for their history, their durability and their style. I realize there are a few Bulovas that aren't the greatest looking, but for the most part, everything I've found has been elegant.

Of course, Bulovas aren't some fancy brand with neat bells and whistles, but as far as decent, durable wristwatches go, do they cut the mustard for style in your books?

Feraud

Bartender
Undertow said:
Of course, Bulovas aren't some fancy brand with neat bells and whistles, but as far as decent, durable wristwatches go, do they cut the mustard for style in your books?
I would say Bulovas have style in spades. My grandpa's wristwatch from '57.
Picture5510.jpg

Mark G

A-List Customer
I love this thread. Belly Tank, the Dent is fabulous. All of my watches are modern, but I'd like to think of them as future classics. A Rolex Submariner date, Breitling Navitimer, Breitling Shark, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control Gand Tallie, and a Hamilton Khaki field auto.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:
Just curious (and I didn't see anything on this previously), what are your thoughts on Bulova?

Both of my grandfathers owned Bulovas, ranging from very classy and elegant to run-of-the-mill. I received a 98G05 two-toned Marine Star after one grandfather passed away.

I personally enjoy these watches for their history, their durability and their style. I realize there are a few Bulovas that aren't the greatest looking, but for the most part, everything I've found has been elegant.

Bulova watches are great. The newer ones are not what you would cosider high end but the old ones are pride and true. I have my fathers Bulova Accutron,one of the first battery powered watches. 1964 and it still hums away.

Chaperon

New in Town
Bulova Accutrons

Thanks to all the great input here, my watch hunt is (for a minute) completed. I now own three Hamiltons (er, yes, I went overboard).

In poking around for these I ran into a gent who collects older Bulovas, esp Accutrons. He maintains that nearly all the old ones he finds still run great. His major interest is watches and I found him a great source of information in re watches generally. He was nice enough to share a look at some of his collection - thess are some really neat Accutrons, I'd never seen prior.

I absolutely love the Hamiltons by the way. Not too pricy (as good things go), keep great time, and look good too. One is a new Boulton, one was my father-in-law's watch, (a Thinline from the 80's, with a new battery and band) and the last one is a mid-sixties gold case automatic in near prefect shape.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of the last two here if there is an interest - I've never tried to do so but should be able to figure it out.

And thanks again!!

Here in the City of Angles...

This shop has been around awhile, they have repaired my old Gruen veri-thin nicely, and their web site provides plenty of eye-glaze material. Had I only acquired an Illinois back in the day... Or if a Reverso with egyptian-esque serpentine numerals fell from the sky. Or my Elgin military had not been appropriated by the evil ex.
Peek at http://www.wannabuyawatch.com/ and tell me your pulse did not quicken!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
New 'retro' wristwatches

I have just spent some time working in South China, including Hong Kong, where 'high end' watches are an obsession. There was a big Swiss trade show in April at which some interesting new models were announced. Retro is the word.

Omega has just issued a 50th anniversary Moonwatch Professional in a gold limited edition of 57 pieces, and in stainless steel of 1957 pieces. My only issue with it is that it has the 1963 hands - on a 1957 repro watch? It also uses a Calibre 3201 movement with coaxial escapement and column wheel, which was introduced in 1999, I believe. So, a sort of 'retro rod' watch. Externally alike, but better performance.

Omega has also done a remake of its 1932 Marine 'slide watch' in two types of gold (red outer case, white inner) with a Cal. 2007 movement. It is launched in 2007 because the original watch was certified as 'waterproof' in 1937.

My favourite Omega on show was the De Ville Central Tourbillion Co-axial. Looking at the Cal. 2635 movement through the crystal back, it's like no other watch! It's not retro, though...

Everybody was talking about a Glashutte Julius Assmann commemorative fob watch that is apparently an absolute work of art, but it had been taken back to Switzerland (probably under armed guard) before I got there.

My overall favourite is and always will be the Blancpain Aqualung Minute Repeater. Timeless design, complete understatement, total function...and it chimes. Even under water. Total class.

Alan

Doug C

Practically Family
I want a Tank Watch!!

Is there a fairly inexpensive modern one (but vintage looking) one the market that has a nice brown leather band, or should I consider vintage.. I assume they'd be out of my price range and may not necessarily work if bought through an auction site, plus I have no clue what models to look out for either. Any suggestions?

Doug C

rongoms

Familiar Face
So, are you thinking about somethign that is more or less the Cartier Tank (but not a chinese counterfeit!) or somethign that is simply a "Tank" style?

for the latter, there are hundereds of them, lots of true vintage tanks on the 'bay as well.

a good solid vintage movement is far better in my opinion than a modern quartz.....might require more care than simply changing the battery.....but it will definately feel better on your wrist.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Chaperon said:
Thanks to all the great input here, my watch hunt is (for a minute) completed. I now own three Hamiltons (er, yes, I went overboard).

In poking around for these I ran into a gent who collects older Bulovas, esp Accutrons. He maintains that nearly all the old ones he finds still run great. His major interest is watches and I found him a great source of information in re watches generally. He was nice enough to share a look at some of his collection - thess are some really neat Accutrons, I'd never seen prior.

I absolutely love the Hamiltons by the way. Not too pricy (as good things go), keep great time, and look good too. One is a new Boulton, one was my father-in-law's watch, (a Thinline from the 80's, with a new battery and band) and the last one is a mid-sixties gold case automatic in near prefect shape.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of the last two here if there is an interest - I've never tried to do so but should be able to figure it out.

And thanks again!!

I have my fathers Accutron from 1964. It has to be my favorite. Runs pefectly, and I love the tuning fork hum. I should have it cleaned. Here's a link to an accutron repair. Accutrons are getting pricey, but you can still find them reasonably priced.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just got a nice '50s DOXA watch at a yard sale today for 5 bucks. It works, keeps perfect time, and it in great condition.

cooper

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I just got a nice '50s DOXA watch at a yard sale today for 5 bucks. It works, keeps perfect time, and it in great condition.
Outstanding. I like those finds. I went to an estate sale once and picked up a Raymond Weil automatic dress watch for 3 bucks. The watch went for around 700 new.
Post up a pick.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Doxa Anti-Magnetic wristwatch

I got this today for five dollars at a yard sale. I'm going to replace the band, I think, but the watch is in very good shape.
IMG_3471.jpg

Zach R.

Practically Family
I've been wanting an Omega Seamaster for a long while, now that I have a good paying job (at least for a college student) I hope that now will be the time for me to save up.

I'm wearing a relatively inexpensive Seiko Automatic right now, it has served me pretty well, but for some odd reason it is very easily loosened around the band area where it meets the face.

Teacher

Familiar Face
You've done well. These are respectable watches, and yours should serve you well for a long time. Just be sure to get it cleaned by a CMW (certified master watchmaker), lest the lubricants dry up and the watch slowly grind itself away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy