Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
pgoat said:
Aside from Ghandi, I can't think of too many people who walk around owning/having/using only things they 'need'

I definitely don't fit that, and I'm sure most folks here don't either. The mere fact that I have four wristwatches and one pocket watch makes it so; I only wear one at a time.

And fedoras...:rolleyes: well, we won't go into how many fedoras I, or other members of this board have.

Yep, we all have our vices...

JEEP

Practically Family
pgoat said:
2503-52_1.JPG

I loved my new AT so much that when the Railmaster version was released I kept my eyes open for a good deal and snagged one (grey market) a few years ago. Same case and bracelet, different dial and no date. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it!

The omega railmaster is a beautiful watch :eusa_clap I am currently saving up for one.

/Jakob

Decodence

A-List Customer
JEEP said:
Bolthead; you're welcome. I have, unfortunally, seen more than one beautiful vintage watch ruined by greedy watch repairmen reccomending re-dials in order to make some extra bucks. Though, off course, most watch repairmen are honest people driven by their love for watches :)

Decodence; what a beatiful collection! Is that a mid 50's pie-pan constallation I see? That early 40's 30'mm on the far right, with the small seconds, would fit nicely into my collection lol

Regards.

Jakob
You would be correct. The pie-pan is a 57 IIRC from the SN on the movement. The one on the right is a 42 IIRC "bumper" movement.

Louie

Familiar Face
I have a bunch that I love. Panerai i000, Tag Heuer Monoco, Omega Speedmaster reduced, Speedmaster Day/Date Chrono, 2 Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, a vintage Gruen, but this has been getting the most wrist time lately:

DSCF4249.jpg

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Decodence said:
You would be correct. The pie-pan is a 57 IIRC from the SN on the movement. The one on the right is a 42 IIRC "bumper" movement.

Really? That's interesting. I hadn't realized that the Connies combined the onyx stick markers and the date function quite as early as '57. Most of the '50's pie pans I've seen have the triangular markers or the sticks without the onyx inserts. I would have guessed more like mid-60's. You do learn something new everyday.

If the bumper is a '42 then that would make it one of the first bumpers made since (IIRC) '42 was the first year that Omega made a bumper (or any kind of auto) movement. Pretty cool.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Mark from Plano said:
Really? That's interesting. I hadn't realized that the Connies combined the onyx stick markers and the date function quite as early as '57. Most of the '50's pie pans I've seen have the triangular markers or the sticks without the onyx inserts. I would have guessed more like mid-60's. You do learn something new everyday.

If the bumper is a '42 then that would make it one of the first bumpers made since (IIRC) '42 was the first year that Omega made a bumper (or any kind of auto) movement. Pretty cool.
Just went and pulled all the case backs.

The pie-pan is a 1966 (assumption as it is a 24,000,000 SN, buth with a 561 movement)
The chrono stop is a 1969 serial numbered 920(got that one right from memory)
The Seamaster is a 1966 serial numbered 550
The bumper is 1944 serial numbered

That is going in a safe place for me to reference for the future as I don't want to go pulling case backs again. (wife was like WTF did you get a case back tool? :D )

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Decodence said:
Just went and pulled all the case backs.

The pie-pan is a 1966 (assumption as it is a 24,000,000 SN, buth with a 561 movement)
The chrono stop is a 1969 serial numbered 920(got that one right from memory)
The Seamaster is a 1966 serial numbered 550
The bumper is 1944 serial numbered

That is going in a safe place for me to reference for the future as I don't want to go pulling case backs again. (wife was like WTF did you get a case back tool? :D )

Sorry. I didn't mean to put you to so much trouble. :eek:

Your piepan and mine are nearly identical in age and composition then. I suspect they are the same caliber movement, though I don't exactly remember what mine is I think it's a 561 (it has the semi-quick set date function, not the full quick set, which I don't think came into production until like 1969 or so).

Your 1944 bumper is slightly older than mine and has the small sub-second dial which was more common on the older ones. Mine has the center second hand (hence the 28.10 SC caliber designation).

Decodence

A-List Customer
Mark from Plano said:
Sorry. I didn't mean to put you to so much trouble. :eek:
I really needed to do it for ins. purposes anyway, as I misplaced the information when I did it last when I moved.

pgoat

One Too Many
JEEP said:
The omega railmaster is a beautiful watch :eusa_clap I am currently saving up for one.

/Jakob

I saw one online some time ago on a leather pilot's strap and it looked amazing. I want to get one and save the bracelet for the AT with plain face (I am pretty hard on the bracelet's finish and want an extra for that watch).

Trouble is those watches have a very odd size - 21mm. Omega makes a strap but it is farily dressy. I want one of those thick pilot's brown saddle leather straps. I'm still searching.......

Just fyi, mine is the first reissue from 2004 or so - I have the 41mm case. There is a gigantic 48mm model now as well, with one subdial. Very nice but HUGE!

I owned a few Oris and Glycines - 44mm through 48. Fine watches and great bang for the buck, but I finally sold them as they were just too big on me; big as my wrists are, at 5'8" I can only wear so much watch!lol

pgoat

One Too Many
Alan B. said:
http://home.comcast.net/~alans1234/stafford.jpg
This 1952 Hamilton Stafford is my favorite watch. Elegant in its simplicity. I picked it up on eBay and then had a watchmaker overhaul it. Hamilton made some great watches and they are still reasonably priced.

Definitely. Those old Hamiltons, Bulovas, Gruens and the like were great watches and are still good bargains for the collector. As you say, with a little overhaul they usually run great for years to come.

I had a Gubelin from the mid 1960s for awhile. It was running pretty funky when I bought it for $150.00 but a clean and lube (another $75) got it humming with incredible accuracy. $30 more for a water resistant Hirsch "breitling" strap and I had a great everyday swiss watch with quickset day and date for less than $300. I loved that little watch, I sold it because it was too little on me but I sure miss it.

JEEP

Practically Family
My new (old) 1950/51 36 mm. cal. 265 (manual) Omega, with a rare original black dial, arrived yesterday. It's a beautiful watch - and the patina on the dial is hardly noticeable in normal light:

PICT1669.jpg

PICT1675.jpg

PICT1674.jpg

PICT1671.jpg

/Jakob

Edward

Bartender
I think men in general are much more likely to buy just one watch and use it for everything. Even many who have more than one have typically just the two - one dress watch 'for best,' and one that can be worn daily and doesn't matter if it gets damaged.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
James Bond Omega / Rolex

Not to muddy the waters. However in the movies, I only remember him wearing an all metal watch. Be it tux to swimwear.

My 28 yr old Omega Seamaster is all metal. And for some reason they took a stainless steel watch and then gold plated it. It is now not my daily wear. And will pass soon to my son.

I like both and wear both.

Edward

Bartender
Some beautiful watches there. I have a few, none of any great vaue and all moden, but in a classic style. My collection includes the ubiquitous fake Rolex, which I've never actually worn as the bracelet is rather too large for me. I keep meaning to have it resized, but to be honest I'm loathe to pay the eight pounds they'd charge for that in Debenhams....

Does anyone know anywhere in London I can have affordable repairs done, as well as bits and bobs like that? I have a very nice "Alpha 93" branded watch in a kinda of art deco style, which needs a clean I think (keeps stopping, I suspect dust in the mechanism):

P4010031.jpg
[/IMG]
P4010036.jpg

This is my current daily driver, were it to be working again... I also have a Vostok of which I'm fond. The Vostok needs a strap - a metal one this time (the standard leather ones for that model seem to be eaten by my wrist in a matter of months...). I'll be fitting a metal one to the alpha 93 when it next needs one too, I think. Beyond that, I might pick up a nice daily wearer in a gold colour. I also have my eye on a couple of nice watches, again in a classic 40s style, that would be great for dress wear (gold for day, silver for evening, leathers straps on both). A couple of pocket watches (again, one gold, one silver) to go with tails would round out my requirements nicely.

I'm not much of a one for the big names.... a financial consideration, really. I know that a collectible watch will retain its value, but the initial outlay on most of them is beyond my pocket by some fair way. I tend to buy in a $100-$150 bracket that will get me something solid that I can wear without worrying about either reliability or its value. not that I'd turn down something fancier if it came my way at the right price.... lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have two, a Tag Heuer 2000 series with a blue face which I got in 1996...

2000series.jpg

and a Certina DS-Pilot Automatic which I bought in 2004...

foto_1128.jpg

I virtually always wear the Certina, I love it, it keeps excellent time and autos are so much less hassle.

Moby

Familiar Face
Here's one the ladies may like. I kinda like it too. It's an 18K, 16 size, 3 finger swiss 21 jewel movement with diamonds on the flower shaped hands. The chain and fob are 18K also.
18k.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy