Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

JEEP

Practically Family
Got this in todays mail:

20s_Mido01.jpg

A 20s/30s Art-Deco gent's watch in golddouble, with a beautiful two-tone bulls-eye dial, branded Mido. The gold is damaged on the back of the case and a little worn on the front - but beside from that the watch is in really good shape. I is ticking extremely loud for a wristwatch - wearing it would require quite a great deal of getting used to.

/Jakob

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
GWD said:
web.jpg
This watch was just given to me by my mother for my 40th Birthday. It belonged to my Grandfather. As the story goes, my Grandfather worked for the American/Arab oil company called ARAMCO. Evidently this watch was presented to my Grandfather for his outstanding work by the Crown Prince himself. I have no proof this story is true but it makes for a good conversation!

Of course, you saw this watch appraised on Antiques Road Show this week? :eek:

JEEP

Practically Family
Just playing around with my new camera:

Officer_Suvern02.jpg

My beloved Swedish military Omegas; Officer and Suverän, with a "butterknife"

30s_guld_omega02.jpg

My 30s gold Omega together with a couple of 18- and 19c. religious books

Ure_vben.jpg

My entire collection + some "cutlery"

/Jakob

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Awesome pictures, Jeep! You have a very nice collection there. One of these days, I'd like to add an Omega Officer to my collection. I really like that style; but from the prices on Ebay, it looks like a lot of others love it too. Can't blame them though.

JEEP

Practically Family

The Officer is indeed an awesome watch. Mine is the early (late 30s) version with a one-tone dial and a case-diameter of 31 mm - the later (early 40s) version has a two-tone bulls-eye dial (much like the Suverän, but "simpler") and is slightly bigger, around 33 mm. Both versions are quite small for todays standards.

Officers in good shape are quite rare - as most of them were beaten to death in the field by the soldiers carrying them. The Officer was a sturdy watch compared to most other watches at the time, but compared to a late 40s/early 50s 30 mm caliber Omega (gents dress, and the manual Seamaster - 30 mm refers to the size of the caliber, not the size of the case) they are quite fragile. If you have an omega dated before 1945, then don't drop it - it will most likely damage the watch beoynd repair. The 30 mm's on the other hand are suprisingly sturdy.

It is interesting that of the two types of Officers my version is by far the rarest - but it is the latter version that fetches the highest prices on e-Bay. The larger case just makes it more attractive for the modern collector.

Be aware that many late 30s/early 40s Omegas are sold as Officers - and quite many of them are even re-dialed with a new dial bearing the attractive word "Officer" (sometimes even destroying a perfectly fine original dial in the process :mad:)

Here is what one must look for:

Officer01.jpg

A patinated dial with the "Officer" logo under the Omega logo and name. Finding an Omega Officer without patina is highly unlikely - forgers rarely age their fake dials, most often they will try to sell the watch as a "rare mint condition unissued Officer". Most re-dials are given away by the fact that the condition of the case doesn't match the condition of the dial.

Officer02.jpg

The distinctive engraved back - only swedish Omega Officers has this back. Sometimes the dishonest seller will claim that the back of the watch has been replaced at some point if asked directly about the missing engravings, that is a highly unlikely event as these backs are highly unlikely to break thus needing replacement. The long number over "Omega" is said to be the watches' issue-number, though I have not been able to find any information confirming that, it is not unlikely that the watches has been engraved with the number of the soldier it was issued to.

/Jakob

Taggert

Familiar Face
Would it be ok to post a non vintage watch here? I do love watches but I am currently not financially stable enough to purchase some of the beauties I see here.

With that said some fine collections!

Taggert

Familiar Face
Very well then =)

Ill just post one for now it's my personal favorite and has sentimental value.
My Movado:
movado1.jpg

I love it's sleek and elegant look. Ill post others when i find them...lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stauer "Dashtronic."

Hi, I know Stauer is not the greatest name, but I couldn't resist this for a hundred bucks: the "dashtronic" with a face like a 1930s auto dashboard or radio gauge. No dial. Faux jumping mechanism. ($99 cannot normally get you a real one.)

It is quite unique and cool. I just ordered it. It will take a month or more as it is not out until June, unless I read something wrong.

http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=15457&CatID=5

Edward

Bartender
GI Joe said:
I saw this advertised in Guns & Ammo and immediately decided I had to have one.

http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=13571&CatID=5

I'm sure the "story" behind it is bovine manure but what the heck. I've had it over a year now & it keeps good time. It's tricky getting the day, date, and month all synchronized but once done, it's not too bad to keep up with. Just need a picture of the wife for the back.

I do like the look of that. I also wish someone would do a repro of the WW1 British Army officer's watches - the ones with the full or half hunter style 'lid' over the face. Lovely pieces.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Doran said:
Hi, I know Stauer is not the greatest name, but I couldn't resist this for a hundred bucks: the "dashtronic" with a face like a 1930s auto dashboard or radio gauge. No dial. Faux jumping mechanism. ($99 cannot normally get you a real one.)

Wow...for only $99? That is a great price for a cool looking "vintage" piece.

Edward

Bartender
Dragon Soldier said:
Google "collings and heal" - Guy I know who puts together watches, mostly trades on the Bay of E.

I have one of the white faced auto's that will pass rather nicely for a WWII vintage ATP.

Those look great.... I have been looking at dress watches here and there, and I may well treat myself to one of these. Something from the old country and all that. ;)

Highlander

A-List Customer
I'd really like to find a cool replica of the "Hamilton Curvex"... any clues? I have seriously thought about buying an original and having it worked on, cleaned and up-dated. I just haven't decided yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner