Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about wool coats, jackets, and vests

Edward

Bartender
I have both SJC jackets and the current release was a huge disappointment. It’s very well made but the wool is half the weight of the first. Feels like the type of wool that would be used as a liner for a jacket. Entirely too thin for an outer layer of wool. My next will be from coffin brand. I think he is using the truest to original weight and weave wools.

I've not handled one of the recent ones. Lighter might be good for certain times of year, of course, but not much help if you want the heft for Winter. I'm hoping he eventually does them in a drill for the Summer...

I genuinely wish this color didn't exist or that I never saw it and never see it ever again.

Not a fan of the tan? Good enough for Elvis! ;)

I've not handled one of the recent ones. Lighter might be good for certain times of year, of course, but not much help if you want the heft for Winter. I'm hoping he eventually does them in a drill for the Summer...

Not a fan of the tan? Good enough for Elvis! ;)
I thought that too. Might use it in early spring/fall in place of a denim jacket. It’s insufficient for anything under 40 degrees.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Late 40s JC Penney Sportclad short wool half-belt. Could not resist this one and it does not fit me, but fits my collection. A similar jacket was spotted by @ton312 at a Vintage store for $39!! I paid a bit more for this one. These show up through out the Sears catalog late 1940s. They disappear early in the 1950s.

Today they are all in the "Seldom Seen" category.

1646146490692.jpeg

1646146403748.jpeg

1646146445536.jpeg

1646146464462.jpeg

1646146519833.jpeg

Late 40s JC Penney Sportclad short wool half-belt. Could not resist this one and it does not fit me, but fits my collection. A similar jacket was spotted by @ton312 at a Vintage store for $39!! I paid a bit more for this one. These show up through out the Sears catalog late 1940s. They disappear early in the 1950s.

Today they are all in the "Seldom Seen" category.

View attachment 406217
View attachment 406213

View attachment 406215

View attachment 406216

View attachment 406220

That's certainly a remarkable jacket Terry. I do believe it is the same one I sent you from MV. Seems almost impossible to me that two of these, in this condition can exist! Super cool.

Edward

Bartender
I thought that too. Might use it in early spring/fall in place of a denim jacket. It’s insufficient for anything under 40 degrees.

Assuming you mean Farenheit! ;) (anything north of 30 Celsius doesn't so much as stop me wearing a jacket at all as strip from me any will to carry on living....) ;)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
That's certainly a remarkable jacket Terry. I do believe it is the same one I sent you from MV. Seems almost impossible to me that two of these, in this condition can exist! Super cool.

Yes got to be the same jacket. Someone picked it well. My new Woolrich pre-production half belt came in today, but too small for me. Interesting jacket has the look but not the weight. Otherwise I'll just very cool

Yes got to be the same jacket. Someone picked it well. My new Woolrich pre-production half belt came in today, but too small for me. Interesting jacket has the look but not the weight. Otherwise I'll just very cool
I messaged the seller about the woolrich. The sleeves were too short for me to pounce. Of course that can be fixed. I’ve found too that the proper, heavier weight wool is very important. Precisely why the lar st SKC was such a disappointment. Has all the trimmings, the build is superb, but the wool is weak. I really think coffin brand has the originals repro’d about as good as can be. Dying to bring one of those home, for next winter anyway.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Surprisingly my grey CCS vest arrived today and it's actually cooling down a bit so I will get to wear it some, the length is perfect, but a little roomy as I wanted since the last was a little tight.
I think this shorter length would have solved my issues with the last.

$112 and a few months wait for a wool vest made to order in the USA, I think it's a good deal / value.
It can't be the greatest wool ever at the price, but it's a relatively tight wool.

The wax seal on the invoice is a nice touch too.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Surprisingly my grey CCS vest arrived today and it's actually cooling down a bit so I will get to wear it some, the length is perfect, but a little roomy as I wanted since the last was a little tight.
I think this shorter length would have solved my issues with the last.

$112 and a few months wait for a wool vest made to order in the USA, I think it's a good deal / value.
It can't be the greatest wool ever at the price, but it's a relatively tight wool.

The wax seal on the invoice is a nice touch too.

Looks good, nice color

TLW '90

Practically Family
Wool vests definitely go well under a leather jacket for sure.

I also like how wearing a vest makes me feel a bit like a cowboy while I'm watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza, or one of my Favorite Clint movies.

They're also very practical for the extra pockets and pocket positions too , at least when you've got a filson style pocket layout like my CCS vests have.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Here’s my ‘40s (?) Admiral Byrd wool half belt with two-way pockets, not sure if made for Sears or Wards but likely one of them:

View attachment 491109
View attachment 491110
View attachment 491111
View attachment 491112
View attachment 491114

View attachment 491117
View attachment 491118
View attachment 491116
View attachment 491115
Awesome old jacket there.
I tend to prefer longer stuff when it comes to wool because I'm used to it keeping my rear end warm, but I'm not against something like that.
Actually I'd really like to eventually get something like it.

TLW '90

Practically Family
It reminds me that I still need to find something in a blue dominant plaid like that.
I've got enough red and I've got some green ( my favorite of course) but nothing in blue yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ