Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Super Phantom No.443

Recently I lucked out and acquired a Lewis Leathers Super Phantom. Inquiring with LL revealed that this is the original 70's Phantom. I bought it through a local classified without even knowing for sure it's the real deal, until I opened the box.

Super Phantom would've been my second choice, the first being a Dominator, of course (or Corsair). Monza on the third place.

The jacket arrived in a horrendous state - not that it was damaged or anything, but it must've been hanging in a closet for at least a decade, as it was completely covered in dust and had spider cobwebs in the creases of the sleeves. I kid you not, I have photos of it!
The leather was also very stiff though not because it was dry but rather due to age.

Anyhow, after thoroughly cleaning the jacket and kicking the spiders out, I've applied two coats of Pecards (also per LL's recommendation - good to know) with a few days of wait in between. These are the results. You can see what the jacket originally looked, out of the box.

It not shiny because of the leather conditioner, BTW - that's just from getting the dust off! Also, the flash makes it shinier than it really is.

While the construction (stitching, etc.) is all around perfect, it is the leather that I am most amazed with. Thick, Vanson-grade heavy, bulletproof cowhide that gives the impression of being resistant to any sort of damage or wear. Obviously, in the 40 years it has existed, this jacket has seen a lot of use - however - I couldn't find a single scratch anywhere on it that I could point out. Crazy tough leather. On the other hand, it aged beautifully! This Phantom instantly became my favourite and I haven't left the house without it since it arrived.

Occasionally, a comment about LL becoming a 'fashion brand' would pop up here and there, comparing the quality of the old days to their recent stuff.
Now, while I cannot say for certain that the new(er) LL jackets retained that same quality, as I haven't handled their recent gear, I do however trust the reviews online, especially the two threads Carlos made, all of which tells me that they're still as great as they've always been - and I think that my 40 years old jacket speaks more than enough about the quality of Lewis Leathers.

I know this isn't exactly a super vintage find by TFL standards but it's just that I am really amazed with how nice this jacket is and also, the main point of this thread is to give LL more attention on TFL as they're one of very few manufacturers of the old days still in business, making classic designs, that didn't turn to crap - and because having witnessed the quality of LL firsthand, I can safely say that I have yet to see a finer motorcycle jacket, and one that's at the same time designed to fit as well as it does.
I know it's the US brands (and designs) that get most of the attention but for anyone considering an alternative, I can assure you that if you want a proper motorcycle jacket that looks the part, give Lewis Leathers a try. You won't regret it!

The only thing I am entirely unhappy about is the fact that this jacket convinced me that now I absolutely must have The Dominator.

Anyhow, few photos of the jacket as it is now - much more in my Photobucket gallery, check it out by clicking on the photo:

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's awesome Ivan! I absolutley love it. I had a real thing for LL for a while. I was never sure how thick or sturdy the leather was. Their designs and heritage are both great. I would love to own one at some stage. The price puts it above Aero etc though, which does make it tough when I've never seen one in the flesh. There's not a great deal of chatter or reviews of them here either. I think Andrew bought a lovely one last year, and of course Carlos with the his and hers purchase( super stuff). Congratulations mate, great find, beautiful jacket.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, Nice score dude! My wife has an old vintage LL jacket that she wears when we strut out on 2 wheels. Spoke to LL recently on the phone & am looking forwards to visiting their London store. I am presently a Brooks kinda Guy :)

Benproof

A-List Customer
Great work!

It clearly wasn't worn by a biker with a few spills.

Am I imagining.....this one seems to have the bubble padding on the arms compared to the modern Super Phantom. I think this looks more original. How is it for fit?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's so nice! I really like the contrast of the red lining and blue collar, it's also interesting to see that the zipper tape looks like it has discolored to the point of looking beige. Which is in keeping with the "vintage" zipper tape option they offer on their new jackets.

How is the fit? Any chance of fit pics?

I would love to find an old one, unfortunately they are all too short for me.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great find!
Where are the fit pics?
Also, how warm is the lining? I had a great old historic ducati leather jacket that i really liked but it had a lining that looked similar to that and it was just too warm for the Sydney climate for most of the year.

Sure, why not. Some fit photos. Pardon the rest of the attire, taken while taking a break from work.

Few more inside the Photobucket album, just click on the photo and go from there.

I must note, the sleeves are actually perfect length & reach to the first knuckle of my thumbs, but it was cold the day these were taken and I'm wearing a really thick sweater on top of a few layers, which altogether is making the entire jacket look a bit shorter than it is. Otherwise, it's just right.

Last edited:
That's awesome Ivan! I absolutley love it. I had a real thing for LL for a while. I was never sure how thick or sturdy the leather was. Their designs and heritage are both great. I would love to own one at some stage. The price puts it above Aero etc though, which does make it tough when I've never seen one in the flesh. There's not a great deal of chatter or reviews of them here either. I think Andrew bought a lovely one last year, and of course Carlos with the his and hers purchase( super stuff). Congratulations mate, great find, beautiful jacket.

Thank you! - and I honestly can't recommend them enough, really! I never knew these jackets are so nice! I mean, obviously, I lucked out with one that works for me but even at their price range, I honestly can't imagine anything I would change or complain about. Carlos' threads clearly show how absolutely flawless these jackets are, and now I can confirm this for the vintage ones, as well. Don't hesitate on hunting one down. :) As for the sturdiness, here's a comparison of Vanson Comp. weight leather and LL leather.

Note that the inside of Vanson leather is a lot more fuzzy which gives it an impression of being thicker, while LL's leather is quite flat and smooth.

Thank you, Carlos! :D I was lucky with this one.

Also, how warm is the lining? I had a great old historic ducati leather jacket that i really liked but it had a lining that looked similar to that and it was just too warm for the Sydney climate for most of the year.

It's still too cold to say for sure, but the lining is quilted nylon, I believe, stuffed with that lightweight foamy stuff (polyester?) so I imagine that would make it warmer than, say, standard cotton lining. The jacket is definitely warmer than my Vanson - but not substantially! I fear I'll find it too warm as well, once the summer hits, but right now it's just great.

I've seen the Ducati historic jacket, great stuff!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Sure, why not. Some fit photos. Pardon the rest of the attire, taken while taking a break from work.

Few more inside the Photobucket album, just click on the photo and go from there.

I must note, the sleeves are actually perfect length & reach to the first knuckle of my thumbs, but it was cold the day these were taken and I'm wearing a really thick sweater on top of a few layers, which altogether is making the entire jacket look a bit shorter than it is. Otherwise, it's just right.

I bow to your coolness! Forget the Dominator. You're wearing gold my friend! That shoulder quilting makes that jacket unique.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Great fit. And the antithesis of the rock chicken wearing a teenage size trying to make out which is how Lewis Leathers tends to portray their wearers.

Yup - the leather of the LL cowhide is quite special. Sourced in the UK after all those decades.

Congratulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR