Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Westway Boots

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
but I don't really want a steel cap cutting my toes off anyway! LOL...

You should check out the Mythbusters episode about steel-toe boots. Do they air that show in the UK?

Regardless, I do see your point. I also like having a pair of non-steel-toes which are far better for walking in. Additionally, steel-toes stay colder in the winter (takes longer for that metal to warm up).

Regards,

NH

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Graemsay said:
What I would like to see is Lewis producing rider gear that meets modern safety standards, but retains the vintage look. No one actually does this at the moment, unfortunately.

Interesting thought!

Not sure if the extra C E padding can be use whilst keeping the jacket looking period? Maybe Lewis can come up something?

I know that my Lewis is not as protective as a modern bike jacket but at least I am aware of this and it is a considered choice.
I do like to wear the period gear to match my old bikes.

I suppose that same question can apply to boots (trying to keep on topic!) as modern boots must be more protective.

James.

Edward

Bartender
Nighthawk said:
You should check out the Mythbusters episode about steel-toe boots. Do they air that show in the UK?

Regardless, I do see your point. I also like having a pair of non-steel-toes which are far better for walking in. Additionally, steel-toes stay colder in the winter (takes longer for that metal to warm up).

Regards,

NH

I know of the show, but I'm not sure that it airs here - at least, it's not on any of the non-subscription channels, let's put itg that way. What is the myth (and the corresponding debunk) re steel toecaps?

I've had a few pairs of toecapped shoes in my time - the first, a pair of regular workman's safety boots, I bought to hike in - at sixteen I was adamant that I had to have black boots, and nobody made a hiking boot in anything other than brown in those days. :rolleyes: Those boots later saved me from having a very messy shattered foot when a counter-end drawer (probably a 30s or 40s build) in the shop I woeked in as a student came out of the rails and landed on my toe. These days, I have a pair of DM shoes with an internal cap, and my Grinders engineer boots. I think they're handy to have if you are doing a lot of heavy lifting (or likely to need them for 'self defence' against a gang of marauding Teds - eh, Ruf? ;) ), but otherwise next time round I'll give them a skip. The big drawback (aside from always having to remove them at airport security...) is that they scuff so easily. with thed steel right behind, there's no give in the leather and o it marks so much more quickly than it otherwise would.

I like that those Lewis boots have something of the look of engineer boots about them - still my stylistic preference in motorcycle boots - but the neater feet. As you say, Rufus, engineer boots can end up resembling leather wellies if you're not careful. I find my really comfortable for a few hours, but certainly not an 18 hour footwear choice, nor especially one to run in....

Rufus

Practically Family
There's nothing like being chased by a gang of skinheads to make you wish for light foot wear!

Engineer boots have saved my toes many a time (My dad dropping his bike on my foot, a number of run over feet, and house demolition mishaps..)

The Westways are nice light boots, not what I'd wear out on a motorway though.. But great to kick about in without the weight of my ol Chippewas.

Cold steel caps are a killer, as anyone who's had to dig ditches on a cold morning knows! lol

Graemsay

Practically Family
The problem with steel toe-capped boots on bikes is apparently down to how your foot bends in an accident, and not down to the toe cap deforming. So your toes get pushed into the end of the toe cap, and snip.

The school that I went to recommended that I didn't wear boots with toe caps, and none of the modern, protective boots are fitted with them (though they are likely to have toe reinforcements). So I'd be inclined to avoid them.

Besides, my feet are so big that I could afford to lose the toes, and still be in proportion. :)

James, some of the soft armour (e.g. Forcefield) can be built into suits without changing their lines too much. Maybe someone should suggest this to Lewis.

Edward

Bartender
Graemsy, thanks.... that does sound nasty. If my midlife crisis pans out in the direction of that Enfield Bullet I fancy the look of, I'll know better than to hop on there with the steel toecaps on!

It does seem to me that there must be a niche market for gear that has the external appearance of old school stuff but is up there with the modern safety features. There is an Italian (I think) company that produces what look like regular jeans but have inner kevlar armouring, which they market as warmer weather wear, though I think would be grand for those who would like some added protection in general but would prefer not to look like a Power Ranger on the bike. ;) for a smaller operation like Lewis, or even Aero, I could see it being possible if they could get the materials easily to work with them to have a kevlar lining or such sewn into the jacket at time of manufacture without it affecting the outer line. There are also those body armour thins you can buy for wearing under a jacket - effectively, like your own exoskeleton - but if you're not spending all day on the back of the bike, one of those could get to be a pain to carry around, I'd have thought.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've heard people argue that steel toe caps are safer, so I'm not 100% sure either way. Personally, I'd avoid them.

There are some very tasty retro motorcycle boots made by Vendramini. Take a look at their Class Metro and Custom styles.

Unfortunately my favourite style (the Scrambler) doesn't come in a big enough size for me...

Crowtree and Hideout are both small manufacturers who do made-to-measure, whilst BKS are now part of Frank Thomas. But all three are probably a similar size to Lewis Leathers. So it's possible to run a niche operation and make a living out of it.

I'm with you Edward on not wanting to look like a Power Ranger. I'm actually thinking of getting a two piece from one of the above, and adjusting collar and pocket details to make it look like a set of old school leathers.

Incidentally, stop procastinating, and get on with your midlife crisis! The new motorcycle test has been put back by six months (so it's a bit easier to pass right now), and bikes are exempt from the congestion charge in your home town. So what are you waiting for?

(The Enfields do like nice too.)

Edward

Bartender
Those Dallas boots in the Custom range look fantastic..... pity about the price! lol I suppose, reasoning it out, if the boots would last as long as a quality leather jacket, then it doesn't seem so bad that they're the same price as one, but even so..... it's still a scary amount of money!

I think that rather than one midlife crisis, I'm passing through a whole series of them (at this rate, I've been middle aged since I was about 26...).... I don't think the bike'll ever happen though, at least not while I'm living in London. Cost of insurance and all that is killer here, not to mention the small factor of being likely to kill myself in the traffic..... maybe if I ever moved out to the country or had a big enough estate I didn't need to go out on a public road.... ha... Seems I'm destined always to be a faker in the biker world.... but then to me they were never 'biker leathers,' but 'rockabilly boots' and 'Joey Ramone jackets.' lol

Graemsay

Practically Family
Just back from London, and dropped in on the Lewis Leathers showroom on Chilworth Street.

If you're going to visit, it's not that readily apparent where the shop is. They're currently in the basement of number 26 (from memory), and they aren't signed. I found them by spotting leather jackets through a window!

The owner's out in Japan for the next week or so, and I chatted to Hiro, who's holding the fort in his absence. Hiro spotted that I was wearing an Aero, so he knows the competition. :)

Compared to an Aero, the Lewis jackets are a lot lighter. According to Hiro, Lewis use around a 1.2 to 1.4 mm thickness, whereas Aero horsehide is 1.6 to 1.8 mm. Top-end motorcycling leathers these days tend to be 1.4 to 1.6 mm thick.

I'd say that the Lewis jackets have better detailling and possibly finish than Aero's, which are more utilitarian. But my Aero feels much more durable.

The boots looked good, but unfortunately stop at size 11 UK (12 US / 46 EU), so I'll have to leave them to Rufus and Tank Girl. :)

There seems to be some development of new products going on. It sounds like they might be adding armour at some point, and they are working on a retro one piece suit for any "Power Rangers" out there.

Going back to the biking discussion, if I was after a retro looking jacket, I'd actually get something like a Belstaff Snetterton. I know that most of Belstaff's products feel as though they're made out of tissue paper, but their motorcycle line feels very durable, and has shoulder and elbow armour fitted.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have mentioned to LL that I would have preferred a slightly heavier weight leather form my Lightning.

Derek told me that they were considering offering a choice of weights as they had criticism in the past for using too heavy a weight.

Seems they are a forward thinking company, but one that has its roots in the past.

James.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'd agree with your comments there about Lewis Leathers, James. They do seem to be looking at options, and being a small company they should be pretty flexible.

How are you liking the Lightening?

Rufus

Practically Family
Mr G,

Pleased to hear you found LL, lol ...

Derek does great stuff, and they can, and will customise any gear. They do a lot of one offs.

Hiro's a lovely fella, and knows his stuff too.

The boots are doing nicely, so comfortable, and Tankie loves them too! lol

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
The Lightning has had a fair bit of use on the bikes. And I think its just great!!

Due to the lighter skin it is comfortable to wear and is probably better suited to summer riding.

Still think if they could get the prices down some they would find a LOT more customers.

There is no doubting the quality of the products and the commitment to details but not sure everyone will take this into account?

James

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
This is my first post on this forum and I thought i'd try to add something hopefully useful.

I received my Westway boots yesterday after having ordered them three days ago, along with what appears to be a hand-written note by the owner.
I usually wear UK8,5 or EU 43 in dress shoes, up to 9/44 in sports shoes. I got the size 9 for the Westways and they fit just fine to wear a pair of warm socks.
The shoes do feel light, very well made and are made from comparatively soft leather. They hide their motorcycle style well under a pair of Jeans and are quite comfortable to walk in.

I am very pleased with them!

cheers

Daniel

steptoe

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen,
In my younger days LL were the absolute "bees knees", however now being a somewhat ageing rocker of 57 years vintage and recently purchasing a new Triumph Bonneville T100 I decided to indulge in a pair of Westway Boots to complement the new bike having read all the comments.
Service from LL was first class, ordered on the Tuesday evening.....arrived here, half way around the world on Friday lunchtime by Fedex. Got stung for import duty by customs for equivalent of 65 Pounds but what the hell, as good as giving Mr Clegg 20% VAT.!
Excitedly I opened the box, sure enough there was the very nice, personal hand written note from the Japanese guy. I had ordered the smooth racing soles, only to be dissapointed to find the ones LL sent, had the Goodyear Commando Soles which are somewhat clumsy and not really what I was wanting. The buckles and securing straps are somewhat flimsy and the buckles look like they will rust quickly, I expected them to be in brass rather than cheap chrome steel. The boots themself seem quite well made but seem to lack any safety features or protection around the ankles, only hope I dont take a spill.
If I was in the UK I would be returning them for replacement racing soles, but too much red tape and expense from here. So all in all, I am dissapointed having spent virtually 400 Pounds.
Cheers
Steptoe.

Graemsay

Practically Family
If you're looking for traditionally styled motorcycle boots then Altberg do the Clubman Classic (particularly the buckled version).

ClubClasBBig.jpg

They're made out of thick leather, and have pretty much the most solid sole unit fitted to any bike boots, which provides a huge amount of crush protection. There is little padding on the shin area, but no ankle protection as you might find on a pair of modern SIDIs or Alpinestars.

That said, some of the boots have a CE rating for personal protection gear, which is generally lacking on a lot of the more armoured styles. And anecdotal reports on biker forums suggest that they crash well. In fact they've got something of a cult following in the UK.

I've got a pair, but haven't had the chance to put a lot of miles on them.

If you sign up for the Altberg site, the prices are somewhat lower. But as they stand they're less than half what Lewis Leathers charge.

Alternatively, take a look at Vendramini. Their Classic Metro range has similar models to what Lewis Leathers offer.

VM492%20COR%20black.jpg

Their Desert Alp Elephant boot is highly regarded by the inmates at ADVRider. I don't know about the more retro styles.

Twit

One of the Regulars
I agree with the comments above, Westway boots are very nice boots, but they are not bike boots; there is not enough protection. I wear altbergs, almost exactly like the ones above, as my everyday bike boots and they have been all over the world and are great, really recommended!

I would like a pair of the Westways but I would never consider them on a bike for any distance.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I have worn mine many times on my bikes. I know they are not as protective as a modern pair of boots but I wear them because they are made in the traditional way and style. If I rode modern bikes then I would wear modern gear. My personal choice.

They are comfortable and after waterproof polish they do not let water in at all.

Great boots.

Edward

Bartender
I see that as a significant point, the type of bike you ride. Power-Ranger aesthetics aside, modern bike gear has been designed with the much higher level of protection it affords in response to much more powerful, faster modern bikes. It'd be overkill on a much lower-powered, vintage bike, IMO. There's a reason pedal cyclists don't wear leather bodysuits with full armour plating.... Same principle would hold good for small, vintage bikes IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24