Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Blue Open Road

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I am incredibly excited about today's arrival. The seller of this hat described the color as “silver-greyish,” but the auction photos suggested otherwise. I wasn’t in the market for a silver belly OR, so I took a chance that I was right about the color and bid anyway. Bingo! When I opened the box, there it was – a light blue OR! The hat is mint (with one exception that I’ll get to later). The liner is sewn-in, and there are John B. Stetson Philadelphia tags on the inside of the hat behind the sweat. In addition, there is also a price tag of $12.50 on the back of the sweat.

BlueSBOR.jpg

BlueORLiner.jpg

BlueORSweat2.jpg

BlueORSweat1.jpg

And now for that "exception" that I mentioned. When I took the hat out of the box I immediately saw a familiar sight – the disintegrated remains of the yellowish cellophane liner that had originally been part of the hat packaging. This is exactly what I had found in the box of the Playboy I recently acquired -- and, in that case, the pieces of yellow cellophane had left some color stains on the inside of the liner. The OR came in a square box – more shallow than a Stetson oval box – and the crown of the OR was basically in close proximity to the yellow cellophane liner. The result is that there is some yellowish staining on the crown and top of the brim in places.

BlueORBox.jpg

BlueORSide.jpg

BlueORCloseup.jpg

So, the seller should have mentioned this, but didn't.:mad: The fact is though, that from a few feet away, you really aren't even aware of it (we'll see what daylight brings tomorrow...). In addition, by the time the hat is bashed, any staining on the top of the crown probably won't be all that noticeable. I don't know if this kind of stain is "cleanable." Either way, though, a light blue OR in this general condition, (probably dating from the early 50's?), certainly doesn't seem to come around that often, so I'm inclined to hang onto it regardless of whether or not the stains will ever come out. Other than the stain issue, it really is a great hat. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
JTL

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Great hat, JTL. I have one much like it! Same color, but mine has a darker sweatband and a different liner logo, and it was estimated as being from the 60's, so you might be right about yours being 50's. The light blue will show discolorations easily when examined, but always looks great when worn. Good luck with it.
NB

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, NB-13. This is so funny, because just yesterday I posted a question to you in another thread about your light blue OR. Your photos just blew me away. So, when I opened the box today and saw a light blue OR, I just about fainted!!!

Cheers,
JTL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, in broad daylight, the staining that I was worried about virtually disappears. So, after some steaming, brushing and bashing, things are looking up!

BlueORBash.jpg

RBH, I have read the posts about naptha/white gas, etc., and it is really tempting. But man, there is just something about the thought of submerging a vintage lid that scares the heck out of me. Maybe I need to buy a beater and give it a test run just to see how it turns out...

Cheers,
JTL

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
fabulous hat! I've been looking for one in that color. Great work on the cleaning and bashing too. It looks amazing now.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
You might try a white rubber hat sponge. If that discoloration doesn't penetrate far into the felt, the sponge just may do the trick.

Hey, tonyb -- good idea. Where do I get one of those bad boys?

Cheers,
JTL

Feraud

Bartender
That is a good looking hat. I have two Open Roads that I do not wear much because I think the thin ribbon does not suit me.
The color on that Stetson is excellent.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Nice score Jimmy

jimmy the lid said:
I am incredibly excited about today's arrival. The seller of this hat described the color as “silver-greyish,” but the auction photos suggested otherwise. I wasn’t in the market for a silver belly OR, so I took a chance that I was right about the color and bid anyway. Bingo! When I opened the box, there it was – a light blue OR! The hat is mint (with one exception that I’ll get to later). The liner is sewn-in, and there are John B. Stetson Philadelphia tags on the inside of the hat behind the sweat. In addition, there is also a price tag of $12.50 on the back of the sweat.

BlueSBOR.jpg

BlueORLiner.jpg

BlueORSweat2.jpg

BlueORSweat1.jpg

JTL

I have yet to add a blue of any kind to my collection. Good for you

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy -- Oh, I'm jealous, jealous! I have a black OR and it is a beauty, but, of all the OR's I've seen, light blue is the one I'd want to score! I don't have a light blue fedora of any kind yet.

Congrats on a great hat, glad you were able to work the stains out.

karol

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for the nice comments! I have to say, so far, I just keep pinching myself when I see this hat -- I never would have thought that an Open Road would have come in a light blue. I am extremely lucky to have found a couple of vintage hats in this color lately.

Incidentally, I came across a 1949 Stetson magazine ad that offers the Open Road in "Silver Belly and other colors." Another 1949 ad (now featured in my avatar) features the color "Cadet Blue." Don't know if this is the precise color of my OR or Whippet, but it looks almost identical.

I'm aware of the following OR colors: Silver Belly, Light Blue, Black, and Estes Tan. Anyone know of other OR colors?

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
I'm aware of the following OR colors: Silver Belly, Light Blue, Black, and Estes Tan. Anyone know of other OR colors?

Cheers,
JtL

I've seen pictures of a dark-ish blue one. Not quite a midnight blue (if memory serves), but definitely a darker-than-medium shade. And a "vintage" one, to boot.
A man who used to post here bought that very clean blue OR from that infamous online auction site. Many of us were watching that action. Reports were that several of us gasped when we saw what our guy paid for it. It was something north of $300, as I recall. Some opined that he paid too much, while others said that the hat's condition and rarity easily made it worth the price. I tended toward agreeing with the guys in the second camp. It was sort of like that Amon Carter Shady Oak Farm OR that sold for big money rather recently. Great condition, tremendous provenance -- a fine hat and also a splendid little piece of Americana.
Oh, that was you who bought that one, right?

EDIT: Oh, another OR color. In a closet around here is a medium-to-dark gray Open Road. The color is kind of inconsistent (it's a bit mottled) and the crown is tapered and, well, it's not much of a hat. I bought it new a dozen or so years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo