Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lip Liner

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,
A few months ago I purchased a tube of Tabu lipstick in “Granada.” I know I said I was unhappy with it at first, but I changed my mind and now I REALLY love it. However, I’m unhappy with the lip liner I’m using.

I swear by MAC’s Cherry Red, but I think in this case it ruins the vintagey (sp?) creaminess of the Tabu red (did that make sense?). You know when you look at 1940s lipstick ads, some of the reds look so creamy and lovely, and I’m trying to recreate that look. The MAC lip liner; however, is very dark and bold on my lips.

Does anyone have a good idea of a red lip liner that will not overpower my lipstick? I’m thinking maybe Benefit or Anna Sui?

magneto

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Does anyone have a good idea of a red lip liner that will not overpower my lipstick? I’m thinking maybe Benefit or Anna Sui?

Hi Rebecca,
Prestige makes excellent lip liners (les fashionistas compare them to high end lines, but they are a drugstore line and very inexpensive) I don't have any red ones about right now (only "Sierra" which is a brownish-red I use as a base for too light or too blue red lipsticks, to create a true deep 40s type red) but they have a wide color range and if unsatisfactory, no big investment.
HTH!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Mary Kay makes a great lip liner also. The one I have that would probably work great for what you're talking about is 'ruby red'. It glides on easy and has a great look to it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've heard Wet-n-Wild #666 touted as "the" lipliner. I've noticed it is recommended in quite a few of the movie makeup breakdowns on Makeup411.com. It is more of a nude/beige color.

L'Oreal has a nice red called "Scarlett Glamour" in their limited edition line, if you can find it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I would really recommend staying away from wet'n'wild. With cosmetics, generaly, you get what you pay for. If you want to get products easily found at your local convienance store, stick to products like Almay, Revlon, Max Factor.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Normally I'd agree with you, but I've read about that particular one in InStyle and several other magazines. Apparently it is the holy grail of drugstore lipliners used even by the pros, supposedly it is "the" perfect color. I noticed on Makeup411 it is listed alongside products like Shiseido, Mac, etc., in the movie makeup breakdowns.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Only a personal preference, but I'd stay away from lip liner. Use the lipstick itself unless you can buy something that is exactly the same shade. Even then, lip liner tends to "stay" when the lipstick wears off. I'm on Besame, so I use it as lipliner, blot gently, then fill, then blot again. And to avoid bleed, remove any lip hair (I know about this, I have it!), then make sure you moisturise well every day (or cold cream as I have recently discovered from the Powder Room), and blot that lip line again if necessary, and check every hour or so anyway. My problem is those fine "purse" lines that come in. No lip liner on the planet is going to solve those as far I can work out. Just have to keep touching up!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I don't recommend wearing red lipstick without lip liner; red lipstick transfers and smears too easily without it (both high and low end, in my experience.)

An excellent, creamy lip liner is Rimmel's Red Diva. It's similar in color to MAC Cherry without being as dry.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Any time I wear lipstick, I wear lip liner. To me, my lips look fuller with it, and I just like the overall effect it has. One trick I found in not having the 'line around the lips' problem, is to not only line the outside of the lips, but to color the lips like a crayon...this way, when the lipstick fades, your lips still have the liner color on them.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your replies, gals.

I've been searching high and low for the perfect liner that won't over power my lipstick, and what I'm finding is that if I don't want a really bold red, I'll have to go with peach or something not red. Boohoo. I hate my yellow coloring sometimes.

I guess the look that I really want is Cate Blanchett in Aviator. When I went to MAC they sold me VivaGlam lipstick with Brick liner, but it's a gross dark brown on me - nothing at all close to red. Does anyone know if they used a red liner on her, or if my coloring is so off that what looks red on her looks dark brown on me?

http://www.makeup411.com/beauty_breakdown/movies/TheAviator.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24