Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquid Eyeliner and other Makeup Conundrums

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Okay--I've tried liquid eyeliner once for that pinup look, but it didn't really work out for me--what are the basic rules for applying it, etc. It could possibly be my coloring (red hair, light green/grey/blue eyes, and really pale rosy skin) and that it's too extreme...? Also--for you reds out there, what's the BEST shade of red lipstick for a pale redhead? I'm ready to find that magical red but I want your opinions before I do :). Thank you! I have a big swing event coming up and want that look ready to roll! :)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds fun

I am a natural redhead with very pale rosy skin. I have to put concealer or primer on my eyelids before anything, they are pink. Yuk. Then powder, then eyeliner, then mascara. I have been using black or brown (or both!) pencil eyeliner for over 25 years, always the same way: top lid only, winging out at the ends. Liquid eyeliner only once in a great while, it tends to look too horribly Endora-ish instead of the pinup look I also try to go for. :eek: Usually I don't use eyeshadow. No blush, don't need it. Now, for the lipstick: my current most favorite BEST shade of red for a redhead is Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor in 16 On-Going Flame. It is lip ink on one end, which you paint on and let dry for 2 whole minutes, then glossy top coat which you can apply throughout the evening as needed.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
thebadmamajama said:
Okay--I've tried liquid eyeliner once for that pinup look, but it didn't really work out for me--what are the basic rules for applying it, etc. It could possibly be my coloring (red hair, light green/grey/blue eyes, and really pale rosy skin) and that it's too extreme...? Also--for you reds out there, what's the BEST shade of red lipstick for a pale redhead? I'm ready to find that magical red but I want your opinions before I do :). Thank you! I have a big swing event coming up and want that look ready to roll! :)

Welcome! Liquid eyeliner can be tricky~ but the key is to go slow & a little at a time. Look straight into the mirror & keep your eyes still then tilt your head back a bit so you have sleepy eyes. This will alleviate the wrinkly skin/product skipping & lack of eyeliner at root of lashes problem that happens when you keep your eye shut. This way you have both eyes open.

Most of the product is placed at the first stroke, so try to have a light hand at first. It's easier to add more than to remove...try to mark little strokes at a time-not one full sweep- which can often lead to uneven lines. If you want more of a cat eye line, don't follow your lash line and wing up- go at an angle fron center to outside edge so you make a triangle of sorts...then you can color in the rest.

As long as you feel comfortable in it- wear it how ever you like and use what ever color you like. Of course black is the basic, but if you think it's too harsh, try brown or grey- eggplant/purple would be nice too!

I'm not a redhead- but you just have to try some different colors on...If you stick with berry color reds (reds with blues & purples to them) you can't go wrong. Good luck!;)

Kitty55

New in Town
Hi -

I found makeup artist Kevin Aucoin's book Making Faces on a clearance rack about 5 years ago, and I've been playing with makeup ever since. Liquid eyeliner and I used to butt heads, but now I use it every day. I am most comfortable with pencils, but I wanted to give liquid lining a try. I started using a stiff-bristle eyeliner brush (this one):

st_S01T_200.jpg

...slightly moistened, and then loaded with dark brown eyeshadow. After toying with this method for awhile, I switched to the traditional eyeliner wand. I just found I got better control over the wand applicator. [huh]

The method that worked for me was starting in about the middle of my eyelid - that way if I screwed up a little and made the line too thick on my first pass, it was going to be the thickest part anyway, so it would be okay. I always make the part closest to my inner eye thin, then broaden out, then slightly thinner, and finally wing it up just a little on the outer edge, just before the end of the eyelid.

A Google search for 'liquid eyeliner application' turns up a bunch of results, too.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Goodness- there is no wrong or right way... everyone does what works best for them! Unfortunately, a lot is trial and error :eusa_doh:

Tourbillion

Practically Family
To me liquid eyeliner screams 60's since that is what my mom wore. All the same I have worn it now and again, being a redhead I wear brown or charcoal. I prefer a pencil liner for 40's looks though.

As for red lipsticks, my current favorite is the L'Oreal limited edition Buttoned Up Red, which is a bit darker than true-red. I also wear true-reds. Red-browns and orange reds can be good for redheads too. Although that depends on your hair shade.

I think red is fine for most redheads, only strawberry blondes have to be extra careful. Red can be overpowering on them. If that is your shade try a light red or one with more brown tones.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I can't thank you ladies ENOUGH for the detailed (and heartfelt!) input!!!!! This is amazing!!!! I am going to head out and buy me some lipsticks (like I needed an excuse) and start doing what we do best...experimenting! I'll post some pics once I find what works best. I usually find that peachy tones work best on me, so this is going to be great. Thank you! :eusa_clap

Kim_B

Practically Family
From one redhead to another...

...good luck!!! I really need to play some more...maybe I'll swing by the store on my lunch hour and see if I can find anything fun :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE liquid eyeliner! You may need to experiment with a different product that provides easier application for you. I've found a great new one called L.A. works. Also, since as you said the eyeliner looked too drastic for you, I'm asuming you were using a black shade? As a redhead myself, browns or black/brown is much more flattering.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I will have to try liquid liner. I usually make such a mess putting on any eyemakeup, i assumed it would be off limits to me.I only see well out of one eye, so when i have to close the eye i can see out of to apply makeup, i am really only guessing as to where it is going:) quite a fright, I am.Then if it doesn't look right, I have to wipe it off & start over.:rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I use liquid eye liner, but actually have great luck with gel liners like MAC Fluidline, applied with a fine brush. They are easy to control and can be built up to create a darker (or thicker line.) I actually just got a great shade of copper brown that looks smashing with green eyes--dark enough to define the eyes, but not so harsh as black liner (which I always avoid.)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
olive bleu said:
I will have to try liquid liner. I usually make such a mess putting on any eyemakeup, i assumed it would be off limits to me.I only see well out of one eye, so when i have to close the eye i can see out of to apply makeup, i am really only guessing as to where it is going:) quite a fright, I am.Then if it doesn't look right, I have to wipe it off & start over.:rolleyes:
Just go slowly! It's a bit different than using an eye pencil. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it also :D

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
katiemakeup said:
Welcome! As long as you feel comfortable in it- wear it but you just have to try some different colors on...If you stick with berry color reds (reds with blues & purples to them) you can't go wrong. Good luck!;)
i love that you said that katie, its all about having fun and being comfortable in your own skin. i too love trying new ways, to wear liquid liner, some successful, some not so much, but i keep trying.;)

olive bleu

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
Just go slowly! It's a bit different than using an eye pencil. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it also :D

Thanks for the encouragement.I think i will buy some tommorrow!It certainly seems to be popular here:)

Kitty55

New in Town
Avalon said:
Kitty55:

LUCKY! lol That book is so much fun. It's a shame we lost him so young, he was a brilliant artist.

I wholeheartedly agree. He has a couple other books out there - similar to the first - that I'm aware of...I think Face Forward...oh, and The Art of Makeup. Good stuff, and ever so much fun! :)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I use liquid eye liner, but actually have great luck with gel liners like MAC Fluidline, applied with a fine brush. They are easy to control and can be built up to create a darker (or thicker line.) I actually just got a great shade of copper brown that looks smashing with green eyes--dark enough to define the eyes, but not so harsh as black liner (which I always avoid.)

I agree! I love creme & gel liners!

Ms. Pariss- I love your pic- is that you? What a great costume!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran