Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London Stores Circuit – including some newly opened shops

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Sorry it's a bit long - it was a good day!
Started at Crockett + Jones, Jermyn St, to discuss with Michael resoling leather Chelsea boots with Dainite to keep me upright in wet. Agreed that C +J Dirty Bucks are great – will have mine on soon now weather picking up. 
Into Bates Hatters a few doors down (in their new home at Hilditch & Key) to thank them for successfully sending two Multiple Hat Boxes through the post without damage, and to say the new Pork Pie hat is getting some good wear 
To Taylors of Bond St (but in Jermyn St…) to get replacement stainless steel comb. Why no-one else selling them? Is it hangover from ’70s when they were sharpened and used as weapons? Perhaps it’s suspicious that I use a comb with so little hair…
Dropped into the NEW Gant Rugger store in Beak St. A spin-off from the Regent St basement Rugger dept. Some good pieces but I never quite get their focus. Happy to tell the helpful young lady there that on their only 3 button jacket , the top button wasn’t, as she thought, a new idea, hidden so you could pretend it was a 2 button if you wanted to, but was called “3 pressed 2” and was well established many years ago!
To Carnaby Street to see Lee Archive (but you have to ask for the 101archive stuff in the Lee store, like it’s an under the counter thing!). Want a 101j to take over from my Strormrider now Spring has sprung. No raw, only a very distressed Japanese 101 (£££ and small, like all Lee made_in_Japan)
To Newburgh St to Cinch/LVC to, once more, recognise that the LVC Bedford Trucker is VERY snug on me 
To the NEW Filson Store a few shops up to see Ed (Ex LVC and RRL) in the brand spanking new shop full of great bags. Got very reasonable waxed cotton “Tin Hat”. Great for summer sun/ showers.
Cross the Street to Peckham Rye – mesmerised as always by their range of squares, ties, bows etc. looked at their new MtM range.
Then to Seven Dial and see that Private VC White closed and browse the Vintage Showroom (how could I justify that original N1 in the window…)
Into Carhartt and find they have a great Outlet store with mega bargains, but it’s in Germany on the Swiss border. To American Classics where see a new drop of Buzz has come in (shirts look good) and see even more colours in Buzz and in Pike Bros sweats (just how many good sweats do I really need?) See a 101j in all Japanese (i.e. both and Denim and manufacture and £££) size not right, (shoulders wrong) and a 101 archive regular( Japanese denim, EU manufacture) again size wrong – too big.
Finally across the road to Interstate who have a 101j archive regular in the right size (a Large, not an XL, so I feel better already) and they’ll do a deal – what’s a boy to do…?
No time (or money) left to schlep up to JS. So will do that next week, and see if Brooks Bros have anything in their 30% off gig next week…

majormajor

One Too Many
Nice rundown RS.

I used to shop in London back in the 60's and 70's. Cue @ Austin Reed was a fabulous store back then.

Got to admit that I avoid our Capital like the plague these days.

Re the 101j, they are not that hard to find on Ebay if you know what you are looking for.

Here's my original 60's (non MR) model, which I snagged for a fraction of the price of a repro....

newlee101.jpg

:D;)

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Thanks chaps :)
Love the 101j - sizing is my issue ATM though.
I used to work next to the Austin Reed building in the 60's (over Veeraswamys) and spent my hard_earned in the new Cue store and regularly got seduced by the Sale (I got tipped the nod when it started and could just leave the office "for a meeting"). Now, sadly its the home of SuperDry as AR has moved across the street to the old Aquascutum building - a loss in itself of course :(
Yes, RRL is worth a visit - since the recent makeover its a bit easier to navigate. Agree that the sale is the time to buy at those prices. Jules is still there even though Ed has gone to set up Filsons. My wife says Jules and I are like a couple of teenaged girls when we get going on whether we can import some arcane piece/brand we both seem to have spotted on sale in NY :)
They have some great original pieces scattered throughout the store, so its worth a good nose around. The word is that the location has as much to do with RL's preference to staying at the Connaught, just down the street, as the salubrious location itself!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Gotta love Jermyn street though ... and some of the new guys on the block aren't quite on the same page ( Tyrwhitt , Lewin etc.) .... but Trickers, Churches, Bates, G&H etc. etc. etc. ... gentlemens outfitters like they should be. old school but moving with the times in the way they should ... s l o w l y :)

Luckilly I work round the corner :) :) :)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Private VC White' is now on Lambs Conduit Street (where there are now a few decent menswear outlets).

How are the MTM suits in 'Peckham Rye' looking? The one on the dummy looks stylish, but not really to my tastes. I wonder how far they can vary the style? Also, have you seen their books of 1930s tie labels? They are truly fascinating.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
yep re Jermyn St - a tale of two tribes..I'm so glad that Bates remains in the St. I dont know how much the petition to the Crown Estates helped , but at least they have a new home :) The St has still got enough real shops, as you say (and of course Paxton & Whitfield !!!) Michael says the small ladies section in the old C&J store has moved down to the new store opposite F&M. So, more room for stock allround. (My wife is a 7 mans / 105 womens on most lasts at C&J. So, we've ended up with a few matching pairs!! i.e Islay)
Thanks for info re PVCWhite :) At my age shops should'nt confuse me by moving around. Sunspel did it moving from Redchurch St and then popping up close to Son of a Stag. didnt have much of a chance to talk too much about the details of the PR MtM unfortunately. Thanks for the heads up re the Tie Labels - will definately check em out :) Love the pictures around the walls - particuarly the RAF in Canada in WW11, as my Father in Law was one of those RAF Bomber Command Training Pilots sent over when his eyesight failed him for active duty.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
RS 65

Fascinating review.
Just wondering can you recall a menswear shop on Shaftesbury Ave around 1974 which was on the same side of the street as the Rose Morris music shop.
The shop had an electric sign over the door which featured the Levis cowboy ad where the cowboy is seated on a fence displaying his 501s.
Rumour had it that a certain Eric Clapton used to buy his gear there.
Makes sense as at the time, a lot of music shops were situated around that area as were the London nightclubs.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Gotta love Jermyn street though ... and some of the new guys on the block aren't quite on the same page ( Tyrwhitt , Lewin etc.) .... but Trickers, Churches, Bates, G&H etc. etc. etc. ... gentlemens outfitters like they should be. old school but moving with the times in the way they should ... s l o w l y :)

Luckilly I work round the corner :) :) :)

Tyrwhitt's ties seem to be fair quality - I've got ones I've been wearing for years and they're still fresh looking - though not on a par with Duchamp, but their shirts didn't impress. Bought one a few year back and it started to fray at the collar within months. Then there's their damn catalogues. If you buy even just a pair of silk knot cuff links online, be prepared to receive a pamphlet containing the same stuff, over and over again, month after month. They're the Reader's Digest of shirt makers.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Thanks Karhu. Sorry, cant bring it to mind but I stopped being based in Regent St in 1973 and whilst often in Central London it was in a less leisured way than before - more about exhasting my modest expense account in new entries to the Good Food Guide than much else!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo