Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longest Guy's Hairdo Length for Late '30s

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Hi, I am looking to get a haircut that is pretty conservative '30s styled, but I frankly hate short hair; it's the one non-conservative thing about me.

Then again, I like to think of myself as ultra-conservative here. George Washington had long hair, and he was a great, great man ;-)

Anyway, geek that I am, I actually measured my hair, and it is pretty ridiculous at 8 inches front (20 cm) and 10 1/2 in. (27 cm) on the sides and back.

What was the longest haircut one could have, lengthwise in the '30s without being looked at like a freak?

I really would hate to go down below 4" because my hair doesn't grow very fast, and it has taken me almost a year to get my hair to the length it is at.

Oh, any pictures of hairdos that you all have would be very helpful.

I know this isn't technically the correct forum for this, but I hate putting it in beauty, because it seems to be pretty exclusively about women's styles.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Well, I am afraid that even that is too long. Obviously it will have to be shorter in the back. The only place where length was accepted was in the front in those days, no?

THanks.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Maybe not the most popular haircut back in the day, but take a look at this photo of a hair tonic salesman from 1936.

8a21070u.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Close at the ears, yes, but not necessarily on the sides. There was often some significant length there (that was, of course, slicked back).

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
Maybe not the most popular haircut back in the day, but take a look at this photo of a hair tonic salesman from 1936.
[IMAGE REMOVED]

Can we be absolutely certain that's a man? :)

Thanks for the photo though.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
David V said:
Longish on top but close on the sides and back.

How long can one get away with, though? What is the maximum length? 5" (13cm), 6" (15cm) ?

Wouldn't'cha know it. Haj Harun am I. I never quite managed to sel all my hair tonic. I drink it in combination with various mixtures of mercury, searching for that secret alchemical combination that holds the secret to all truth.

Fast forward some 70 years. This is the twilight zone …

FLLondonDinner28Jan08005.jpg

bk

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a *SERIOUS* suggestion? I am obviously not a hair-tonic salesman. . . .
:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner