Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longtime Loungers...do you think the Lounge has changed a great deal?

surely

A-List Customer
With the help from Carebear, Feraud and Zohar and eye straining reading of past posts and with Twitch's last posts, I now have a much clearer picture of whats been going on. I've yet to read any of the offending posts but let me tell a short story.
When I first started to go to the community weight room, the "oldies" had their cliques and etiquette. There was one guy who seemed to enter conversations and take over. Nobody seemed to mind. He did that to me twice; the third time I was talking to one of his buddies and when he interrupted, I looked square in his eyes and said never do that again! Now these two were maybe 25 yrs younger than me and bigger.
Well, I never saw such controlled facial rage :rage: ; but I stared him down while I politely and calmly dressed him down.[bad] (You military types know what I mean, eh?)
That was a few yrs ago. He tried a few times & I ignored him, but I had to say something one more time. Since then we have ignored each other. :D

BTW, I was ready, willing and able to use my fists if I had to.:cool:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Are there any other BB's on the internet that display a conscious effort to look at themselves and evaluate themselves as this one does? Is there another that tries to connect to reality as this one? I don't belong to any others, so I don't know. I think a lot of credit goes to MK, and to the Bartenders. The guidelines are fine, but this being the internet, the self invention always outstrips any preconceived rules. I'm here not quite a year, and I'm continually impressed. Thank you to every single member.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Mr. 'H' said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lincsong, you are a legend! You totally got that thread up on its feet! :eusa_clap You would be fun to head out with for a beer!!!

lol

:eusa_clap

Well, when I'm drunk I'm actually really quiet and reserved. That alone freaks people out.:D

Jovan

Suspended
surely said:
With the help from Carebear, Feraud and Zohar and eye straining reading of past posts and with Twitch's last posts, I now have a much clearer picture of whats been going on. I've yet to read any of the offending posts but let me tell a short story.
When I first started to go to the community weight room, the "oldies" had their cliques and etiquette. There was one guy who seemed to enter conversations and take over. Nobody seemed to mind. He did that to me twice; the third time I was talking to one of his buddies and when he interrupted, I looked square in his eyes and said never do that again! Now these two were maybe 25 yrs younger than me and bigger.
Well, I never saw such controlled facial rage :rage: ; but I stared him down while I politely and calmly dressed him down.[bad] (You military types know what I mean, eh?)
That was a few yrs ago. He tried a few times & I ignored him, but I had to say something one more time. Since then we have ignored each other. :D

BTW, I was ready, willing and able to use my fists if I had to.:cool:
That happened one time with a thread of mine. I'm sure the person in question meant well, but they probably didn't realize how I felt about it. After all, I was the one "hosting" the event so to speak. I believe I talked to them about this and another thing she said in a thread of mine and all is well. Really, all you need to do is communicate to people if something bugs you. Send a PM, try to work things out. Most of us are grown men and women who can take constructive criticism. If they can't, well, ask a moderator for advice or to take action on your behalf. There are few people who will step out of line when authority shows its face. The moderators here have been more than helpful and punctual in helping me out, no matter how silly the question or complaint I had.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Surely-Hehehe! See how utterly difficult it is to convey by the written word a point of view or brief explanation.....the misunderstanding and need to re-emphasize the same things in different words so some one who didn't can now understand?:D

It's quite simple really but it has taken 10 pages of people explaining and re-explaining to clarify what the heck their main observations are.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
GOOD Thread

Have been away from the FL for many months this year 100%, for some of the same of the reasons stated by other old hands in this thread. I'm glad I logged in & read it!

Hope 2008, has an uptick in vintage posts such as Mr. H's L.A. Confidential & his Buick:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthrea...934#post419934 :eusa_clap

Everyone is fighting for some FL "Face Time" here & with a greatly expanded member base its gotten harder. As Michael Corleone said it not personal, its just business!

Solid Citizen ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
From an old timer’s experience:

Well, I’ve been here since the early days. I left for about a year and have come back under a different name. The life of Wild Root was a good one but, felt a new name was in order… and I wanted to surprise those who knew me.

Well, I have never really minded answering a question more then twice… I answer questions all the time, and mostly the same question… especially now that I work for the City of LA. I’m always answering the very same questions day in and day out at the Observatory. It’s part of my job to make sure everyone knows where they’re going or, to help people gain the most out of their visit to the Observatory.

I know seeing posts of the same questions that that have been answered can get annoying to most… and I think what’s going on when someone sends a link to an older thread is a very good thing. My self, I’ve been known to be lazy and just answer the question and not try and dig up an old thread… that’s just me.

My knowledge I have always wanted to make available to anyone who seeks to dress vintage or collect antiques. I’m very passionate about what I do, and when people honestly are seeking to know how to go about it, I’m always happy to help. Heck, I’ve opened my door to members here… I’ve taken a few vintage shopping; shown them the sights and some have become my closest friends to this day.

The lounge has changed… since it’s early days. In some ways good, some ways not so good.

But, this is to be expected on a site such as this… with as many members now.

And, if anyone has questions, you can always PM me and I’ll do my best to answer them!

All the best,

Rob.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man's Advice

I did not realize you were also the guy known as Wild Root. But anyways your contribution to the discussion of the identifying of vintage clothing has been great, educative and given with a certain diplomatic deference that I find refreshing.

But everyone round here has there own style (controlled by our sensible bartenders) the sum of the whole for me is one of the highlights of the day... when I click on to the Guy with the Hat... and take myself away from the humdrum of normal everyday existence.

The FL for me is also an adult way to share the excitement and memories I share of my parents for their era - the "Golden Era".

But anyways who's listening to a guy who has had "One too Many"?lol lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting thread. I'm glad it all got sorted out. Three points:

1. Regarding the original post by Jon FG: my dear man, has it occurred to you that the mind is naturally selective and often adds a golden patina to events in the past, causing us to remember the good and forget the less interesting? This certainly accounts for part of the difference you perceive in the FL of the past and now.

2. Thread-killing: aside from an official thread closure (and, no, I won't try to put up an SM (sadomasochism) thread, I promise): sometimes a thread dies because someone has said the last thing that needs to be said, and there is simply nothing else that needs to be said. Or so it seems. I see nothing wrong with this.

3. Sensitivity: Lots of people have taken offense at things people have said on the Lounge, it seems. I usually don't, because I know people are not always at their best. If anyone has had a bad interaction with me, please let me state: I apologize to anyone I have offended, and I assure anyone to whom I have reacted in an offended manner that I bear you no grudge. Whatsoever. At all. None.
Further, I hope that both those I have offended and those by whom I have been offended will forget the offense and have a drink with me if we ever meet, and I can PROMISE that I will forget, and most likely have already forgotten, all offenses received or committed if we meet.

(This takes no willpower on my part. I just honestly don't take much offense at things, and I don't worry too much about internet exchanges when I have a daughter to raise and a brutally Machiavellian academic program to navigate!)

I strongly suspect that anyone who is posting on the Lounge has more in common with other Loungers than otherwise! Remember this ...

- Tim

carter

I'll Lock Up
May olde greivances, misconceptions, etc. be forgot.

Doran said:
Interesting thread. I'm glad it all got sorted out. Three points:

1. Regarding the original post by Jon FG: my dear man, has it occurred to you that the mind is naturally selective and often adds a golden patina to events in the past, causing us to remember the good and forget the less interesting? This certainly accounts for part of the difference you perceive in the FL of the past and now.

2. Thread-killing: aside from an official thread closure (and, no, I won't try to put up an SM (sadomasochism) thread, I promise): sometimes a thread dies because someone has said the last thing that needs to be said, and there is simply nothing else that needs to be said. Or so it seems. I see nothing wrong with this.

3. Sensitivity: Lots of people have taken offense at things people have said on the Lounge, it seems. I usually don't, because I know people are not always at their best. If anyone has had a bad interaction with me, please let me state: I apologize to anyone I have offended, and I assure anyone to whom I have reacted in an offended manner that I bear you no grudge. Whatsoever. At all. None.
Further, I hope that both those I have offended and those by whom I have been offended will forget the offense and have a drink with me if we ever meet, and I can PROMISE that I will forget, and most likely have already forgotten, all offenses received or committed if we meet.

(This takes no willpower on my part. I just honestly don't take much offense at things, and I don't worry too much about internet exchanges when I have a daughter to raise and a brutally Machiavellian academic program to navigate!)

I strongly suspect that anyone who is posting on the Lounge has more in common with other Loungers than otherwise! Remember this ...

- Tim

Tim, I always said (or at least suspected) that you were a prince among paupers. Or something like.

Well said ! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

God bless us all, every one.

Ahh, but you underestimate my gifts for underhanded tactics... like intercepting bartenders and servers and giving specific instructions about the tab before the other person even gets there... and if I should be in any given room at any given time, you will only know when I choose to reveal myself.:eek: This [unintelligible] tradecraft stuff imprinted into me can be a pain, but sometimes it has a fun side too...:eek: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic