Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Look what arrived (Pics inside)

jay_b

Familiar Face
My Jaxon Iconoclast. I am pretty pleased for the price. I really like the look of the hat.
This is the hat right out of the box. I'm thinking of maybe shaping the front of the brim to be turned down more, but I'm not sure yet. I welcome your opinions on this.;) Here are some pics.

Jaxon7.jpg

Jaxon8.jpg

Jaxon9.jpg

Jaxon2.jpg

Jaxon4.jpg

Jaxon3.jpg

That's all folks.

ortega76

Practically Family
Not bad. I'm still interested in the Jaxon hats from the Village Hatshop. How is the felt? Are you satisfied with the hat or "satisfied. . .given the price"? I've got my eye on a couple of their lids for daily jobbers or just to try out a style I'm not sure of before dropping more dough on a nicer piece.

The hat looks great on you. In fact, I pulled up the first picture and wasn't very impressed with its appearance on its own but after seeing the pic of you wearing it, it went up considerably in my estimation!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the brim down just a bit it would look all as good as the black one in you're wearing in your avatar photo so..... Most of my hats are flexible enough to turn the brim down just when I want and do not need any permanent fix.:fedora:

jay_b

Familiar Face
Being in Canada shipping was $20 so that knocks the price up to $62, with the exchange I think that puts it in the low $70 range. So your price in the US will be better. I say go for it...most fur felts are a lot more.

I'm not overly experianced this being only the second fedora I've bought but it appears to be made better than my Scala. The sweatband looked to be sewn in more neatly and the overall appearance of the hat is great. The felt is very stiff, it's not a snap brim. But I kind of like that because it's going to get a lot of wear in all conditions so it may hold it's shape better. It did have some small wave like action shape in the brim on one side but that was easily fixed with a little water and shaping, I doubt you'd have noticed it unless you really looked hard.

When my father saw it he right away said "Wow, that's a really nice looking hat!" and that's coming from a man who is not at all familiar with the term fedora.

I know I said for the price it was a good fedora but keep in mind that I would be hard pressed to pay $100 or more for a hat. $70 CND is my upper limit but I am glad I got this hat. I am all around very pleased with it. If I were in the US or could get a better shipping quote I would order the Bogart.

Hope that helps answer all your questions. :)

Razzman

One Too Many
Nice Lid!

I'd say it's a very nice hat. More importantly, if you like it, and feel comfortable wearing it, then thats all that matters. The hat suits you just fine. It's a keeper for sure. :eusa_clap Congratulations on a great find.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Look what just came in...

The hats' a keeper- in the front view photo of you, the hat looks fine just the way it is- I wouldn't change the brim at all, because: you have a thin, triangular shaped head ( holds all those brains better), and the flat brim seems to offset the shape or complement it, whichever you prefer. Leave it alone, wear it, have fun and save up for a vintage Borsalino. Vintage. New ones are thppppttt.

thanks- ideaguy

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My recommendation

Jay, that's a nice hat. Is it very stiff?

Anyway, I think you should leave the front of the brim alone. Instead, try to raise the side swoop a little. I think it would add just the right amount of dash. And maybe tighten the pinch a little if you're bold (not Indiana Jones tight, just a little adjustment). But that's just my personal opinion, and what I would do with it.
NB

jay_b

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comments and compliments!

I wore it out tonight and I think I'm going to leave the brim alone. I will keep an eye open for a vintage hat once I have some more extra cash.;) You guys were right, it is addicting.

NB - ya it's pretty stiff, maybe not quite cowboy hat stiff but by fedora standards it's pretty stiff. I think it will soften some over time. From what I've read and seen a brand new fedora can be stiff. I'm going to consider your adjustment suggestions.

Thanks again all.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Congratulations

The hat looks very nice on you. Glad you like it. I hope it serves you well for a long time.

For what it's worth, I agree with Not-Bogart's idea on the pinch and would perhaps try to round out the C-crown if it softens up sufficiently.

I bought my first fur felt fedora last November. It's a Lagomarsino from Argentina, made of Nutria. Like you, I was trying hard to keep the cost under US$100. I've been pleased with this. But I'll warn you, hanging around here may be dangerous. I bought a Panama last month (which I'll eventually have reblocked), and am now salivating for a vintage Open Road or (and?) a Stratoliner. (And that isn't a stitch on how some of the addicts in this place buy hats! ;) )

Enjoy the new lid!

- Mark

Doh!

One Too Many
I have one as well, and really like it. Don't be afraid to get it wet -- mine's been through a couple of heavy storms and dried out just fine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou