Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking at a couple possibilities...need some feedback (jacket).

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I completely agree with the last two posts. I think that is exactly why some jackets have turned out to be big disappointments for me. I had a picture in my mind's eye of what the jacket would look and feel like but upon arrival it was not what I had hoped for. Many times poor fit plays a role, but I think PN is spot on that many (most) jackets look better without me in them!

The Himel Heron used to be my grail...until I tried one on :).
I did the same at a Self Edge, well, my son did. He looks good in most everything, and honestly, I realized that sometimes it's "me" and sometimes it's the jacket. Some styles just don't work on some guys...and that's why I'm battling in my mind now over what jacket to get in "natural" Vicenza. I've gone back and forth 100 times in the last couple weeks and made no progress.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I did the same at a Self Edge, well, my son did. He looks good in most everything, and honestly, I realized that sometimes it's "me" and sometimes it's the jacket. Some styles just don't work on some guys...and that's why I'm battling in my mind now over what jacket to get in "natural" Vicenza. I've gone back and forth 100 times in the last couple weeks and made no progress.

Maxwell w/black buttons. Aeromarine w/slash pockets rather than cargo. A-1 w/x color knits? Premier work coat?

Maxwell w/black buttons. Aeromarine w/slash pockets rather than cargo. A-1 w/x color knits? Premier work coat?
Any good shots of the Max? I love A-1s = including your new one. I'm thinking though about getting something without knits. I'll look around for the Max and have a look...I want something on the sporty end, not a "coat".

So I'm really liking this one dudes and dudettes.
What say the enablers? Likely a different lining, but the basic piece...

https://www.thurston-bros.com/colle...board-racer-size-42-natural-vicenza-horsehide

Screen Shot 4.png

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Butte, that exact jacket is stunning. However it's certainly not for me. I would have it soiled and darked in places very soon after it's arrival. I have to stay with darker colors, just as I know myself. Might turn into a nice reddish brown with wear and time, but would not work out for me.

zebedee

One Too Many
Get it in the Red Fox steerhide. I reckon the natural hide will go through years of looking grubby before it gets to a nicer, darker shade all over (if that happens).

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ButteMT61 is a great style jacket and really nice looking leather but I have the sneaking suspicion that this will be one of those jackets that looks better as a piece of art (let’s not get into that again...just go with me) but it won’t necessarily look good on the average guy. Not saying you are average but you know what I mean. Great for Instagram models but for everyday wear..... if you do go for it, I hope you prove me wrong!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That natural HH looks great in pictures, but when actually worn and "the rubber meets the road" ... :confused: For whatever reason, I don't think I could pull off zippered sleeves in the front either.

Last edited:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I think you could pull it off but I already said what I think of the natural color and its practicality.

I still prefer the Thedi.... [emoji16]

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Have you considered the Russet Vicenca instead of the Natural? Judging from @Radz108 's pictures, it looks very mid brown/tan-ish with a shade of red, very much like you'd imagine an aged natural hide, but without the risk of the aging going not as planned. It's a lovely color imho and the close up pictures from Aeros and Thurstons websites appear missleading to me, if you look at the pictures taken by radz in natural light.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagra...g?ig_cache_key=MTMzNTY2MTAzNjQ2MDMyNDk0Mw==.2

Had to dig up this picture from google, the pictures here at TFL are dead, sadly.

Regarding style I think you can pull off a CR no problem, I don't think age is a problem, in fact I think older men can pull off certain styles much more convincly than younger ones, you've got the patina to match the jacket, so to speak. :D

However.. if I was your height and shape, I wouldn't work around a waisted style such as a CR to get a athletic smart look going.. I'd work around my height and broad shoulders to get that athletic look. I'd listen to my wife and get a flying jacket, even though I'd go for something more casual and ore relaxed fitting than an A-1. I, personally, think you'd look beast in a 1950s Flight Jacket and I'd go even one step further and get a mouton collar with it. Eversince I got my Schott, I'm totally in love with these mouton collars. It's so comfortable and makes your neck area look so much nicer (at least if you suffer from the long and thin neck syndrome, as me). So, my verdict 1950s Flight Jacket in Russet Vicenca or maybe that red fox steer? with a golden mouton collar.

Here's my Schott to show what I mean about that neck area:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-jacket-are-you-wearing-today.82949/page-282#post-2301748

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you go A-1 Butte, be sure to run numbers with Carrie. It's a bit different than the A-2. My 40 fits true to size, but the sleeves are quite slim. A 42 could work too, but the 40 looks roomier than it actually is. 42 would look too large in the back for me. I know you're not interested in the Olive, but so far it's the nicest batch of Vicenza I've seen leather wise. The sleeves are nice and grainy, almost goat on steroids pebbled and substantial. Feels a little thicker than the Navy J-100 or the seal HB. Can't wear the damn thing; it's been too hot here. See you guys at the HB Air Show.

How about a Dustbowl? ;)

You guys offer up great advice. Although, I now am back to more confused than before ;)
Back to the drawing board. And @nick123 - I do like the olive a lot. And the grain on yours is amazing. Only thing that just put me back on the Vicenza was the recent pics on the Aero page of one and the hide was kinda awful looking. So I guess I'll keep thinking and looking around.
You'd think that it would get easier, but no. Not one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff