Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a cheap suit?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. I think I'll be missing this sale though. If you looked at my other thread, I'm trying to go for a wool suit. What they sell there, my friend, is a polyester and viscose blend suit. Also, they have very strange sizing; a 40 is apparently "large," and a 42 is "small." I suggest that you skip this suit, and try to save up for something nicer.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Amazons comments look like spam. Always the same scheme. BTW An ill fitting poly suit will make you feel unconfortable. Could be the reason why suits are so unpopular these days.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I just need something to get me started, I don't care WHAT it's made out of.
Here's another:

http://www.amazon.com/Haggar-Mens-S...r_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1314751819&sr=1-8

I like pin stripes some times, and this is sometime.

Just my opinion, but if you're just looking for something to get you started, and don't care what it's made out of, you'd probably be further ahead scouring Goodwill. You could possibly score a well made suit that uses good material, for not much more than the cost of that jacket, rather than spending good money on a bad suit.

Undertow

This thread is more appropriate for the 'finds and deals' room.

Perhaps originally it would have been, but at this point I'd have to disagree.

Point being - HodgePodge is quite right in asserting that a Goodwill suit could (and probably would) be far superior to anything like this.

I once found a brown pinstripe flannel at Goodwill, paid $6, had the trousers tailored for $8 and bam - perfect for cold weather. And it beat the HECK out of a poly/vis blend, both in quality and drape.

Take our word for it EDSLocklear, spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Point being - HodgePodge is quite right in asserting that a Goodwill suit could (and probably would) be far superior to anything like this.

I once found a brown pinstripe flannel at Goodwill, paid $6, had the trousers tailored for $8 and bam - perfect for cold weather. And it beat the HECK out of a poly/vis blend, both in quality and drape.

Take our word for it EDSLocklear, spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere.
:arated:
My advice would also be to check out charity shops or what you Americans call "thrift shops". A wool jacket should be easy to find and a complete suit shouldn't be too difficult either.

I once found a flannel suit in a charity shop for £7.50 (though I ended up spending nearly £50 to get the jacket altered thanks to an incompetent seamstress ruining the cut and then a rather more competent tailor correcting it :eusa_doh:).

Talbot

One Too Many
Depends on what you want the suit for I suppose.

Can't argue about the price. Down here, many thrift stores charge more than that for a pre loved item of extremely average quality .

Having said that, if you are not happy with the fit, the cut and the fabric, its money wasted, no matter how keenly priced it is.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Try "made to measure" websites. I'm cheap. For me, there is value in not buying suits for thousands of dollars. I've always liked Brooks Brothers. But I can't help saving a few bucks in today's economy. I have bought a few suits from tailor4less.com with very good results. The price point is low enough that I don't cry over ripping, tearing, or otherwise ruining the suit if I have to engage someone in fisticuffs. And I can always order replacement pieces (jacket, pants, vest) in the same matching fabric if needed. Especially helpful when weight fluctuates.

Although nothing beats being able to buy a jacket for $34.65, and matching pants for $18.22. You'll spend more on alterations for final fitment thn you did on the garment. Do you really want to wear polyester? I am familiar with this brand. This is actually one of the brands that you can find at Macy's. I remember when I was in high school, I used to shop there and I bought several things from this brand. Not the best of quality. But mostly very stylish. Fashion changes. Trends change. Styles change. Cuts change. This will do nicely for something that you don't plan on keeping for more than a few seasons, then move on to the next fad. Perfect if you don't need to wear the suit every day, and only need something in your closet for "just in case" occasions. Why spend a lot of money on a good suit that you're not wearing all the time?

birkie

Familiar Face

Flat Foot Floey

Very interesting. Thank you.

The scheme in the amazon suits was: "I was skeptical (I never bought suits online) but....blabla ...amazing! very good price blabla !" Sometimes they mention "limeted sizes" because it could be seen as honest criticism. But people will think: "Oh my size is still there. I am so lucky!"

But "I went into a local store and tried the suit on just so that I was positive about the size." is a real mean trick. I know, people do it all the time. They get the service at a shop and buy online later. But at least they figure out themselves. And now the SPAM reviews even tell them to do so.

GBR

One of the Regulars
If you like it, buy it if you must: I would not give it house room but there we are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum