Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good milan straw hat...

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The only hatter I know that does decent Milan hats is Optimo. All of the other ones I have heard of are stiff and shellacked (hot).

773-238-2999

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Colt
Looking for a pork pie style milan straw hat. Can you point me in the right direction...

Hmmm, Pork Pie...a man after my own heart. I can't help, but I'll be interested in what you find out.

David

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let me chime in here

I agree that the Biltmore and the other "modern" hats from Millerhats.com or Hatsdirect.com...are OK.

Not everyone wants to pay $500, $750, or $1200 for a "hat". I tell people what some of my hats are worth, and they just stare, and I can tell "you idot" is what they are thinking.

Many folks wear the hat occasionally, and really don't look farther than the "look". There is a tremedous marked out there for "the everyday hat" as I like to call them. I don't wear my expensive hats out in the yard, or mowing the lawn. I have the "cheap hats" for that.

Biltmore and Stetson, Dobbs too, still make very fine workable hats that do look nice.

I just can't help being a hat snob. Feed your dog steak and see what happens....you get itLOL

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Tongue in cheek...were the hats "worth" what you've paid or "worth" what they wanted you to pay?

You need to come with me to Montecristi...you and Art that is.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To be honest

The hats are probably worth what I paid, as there was the cost to the weaver, the buyer, the transportation to either get it here, or have the hatter fly down and buy up the season's supply. Then there was the cost in blocking, trimming, and finishing the hat. They have the owner, the assistant, then the three girls in the back who trim and sew. And there is the rent, insurance, workers comp, the payroll taxes, the benifits, advertising, telephone, and of course the hatters profit to pay for his family, house, car....whew!

I didn't mind paying $1000 for a hat, that I have seen for five times that in SF or on the web pages of other sellers.

Yes, Panamabob, the hats you sell are very good, and a steal for the price.

You are to be commended. ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad they are worth it...but don't count on the weavers getting a dental visit or eyeglasses when they need them...they make diddly squat. The hat finishers like the Pachays, Delgados, Meros and Francos are the people with the dual residencies, cars, air conditioners and N. American lifestyles; some live in Spain or Italy half of the year. Don't get me wrong, they are nice people, but the economic system is very different and the avg. wage is about $200 or less a month...but they make big $$ and are paying their help $200 or less a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran