Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for New Grey Fedora Under $200.00

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Guys, I am looking to pick up a new fedora in a size 7 3/8. I am looking for a medium grey and a price at or under $200.00. I love vintage, but I am far too busy to try and keep up with the frantic pace of the Ebay auctions for larger vintage lids. I just end up getting frustrated. I just picked up an Akubra Fed which I like a lot. I'd like to try something else, just to broaden my horizons. I'd like something in a medium grey, and at least a 2 1/2 inch brim. I know that $100 more could get me a custom, but I'm pretty firm on the price cap.

Any ideas?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Me too - very sharp! Also check out the "Vienna" style - though a center-dent, it's pretty similar, but is apparently on sale for a bargain-basement $87.50.

The question for the experts is: how good are these Biltmores (more like Akubras or more like Stetsons?), and how stiff are they: can they be reshaped easily if desired?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lawman -- I purchased a "Trenton" (made by Biltmore) from Miller Bros. a few years back. It is made of the "President Ultra Finish" grade felt, which is very nice. I haven't personally had a chance to check out the "Smooth Finish" felt, so I can't comment on that. I do believe, however, that one of the Biltmores in the President finish would give you what you are looking for. They are nice hats.

Cheers,
JtL

Edward

Bartender
I can offer some limited level of help here.... I've not yet purchased an Akubra (though I have designs on several thanks to their reputation here) and I haveno experience of modern Stetsons, but for what it's worth.... I recently bought a Millerhats.com Biltmore Fedora on eBay. I bought mine second hand, though I doubt it was ever worn (I suspect an unwanted gift, or one purcahsed and never worn). I won it for USD25.00, and it came in the original box, along with a brush. It is closest in look, going by the pictures on that site, to the Baldwin. The only apparent difference is that mine has a wind trolley fitted, which I can't see on any of the hats in the pictures on the site. Not sure if that's an optional extra? (Certainly wish it was a standard on all hats!!).

The label inside reads "Custom crafted by Biltmore for Miller hats.com". Sweatband is branded "genuine leather... made in Canada." All labelling is gold on black - black leather sweatband, black satin liner. Very classy looking. The teardrop crown is beautifully done. Those sharp sides where the V meets the curve of the teardrop are a beautiful detail that gives it a real golden era look to my eyes. Mine is black - I imagine it would look even sharper in the light grey colour (I'd definitely consider buying a second one in that colour to The felt feels just right to me - though take that with a pinch of salt, I have nothing of the experience many on here do. The snap brim is stiff enough to hold its shape, but doesn't feel like cardboard. It's raining fairly heavily here in London today, and the hat has held up well without sagging its shape. I should think you'd definitely need to use steam or water to reshape it. It's comparable to the vintage Dobbs Homburg I also bought on eBay at the same time in terms of relative stiffness.

I've been wearing the hat for a week today, on all but one day (wore the homberg out to church Sunday). Lovely comfy hat to wear - no rough stitching or anything irritating my head (significant - I have sensitive skin, and as you can see from my avatar no hair!). Sizing is true - it's a 57 which is just a snug fit on my head without feeling at all tight or too loose - just the right level where absent a sudden gust of wind it will stay put, but it certainly doesn't leave a red mark or feel tight. What I'd call a Goldilocks fit (just right). I'll see how that changes over time, but I don't expect this to be a hat that will shrink significantly enough that there will be a perceptible difference in size within a sensible period. In a position of ignorance, I would anticipate this hat would retail for around USD110-120.... looking at the website, I see I'm not far off. Seems on par pricewise with a Federation Deluxe, though as I don't (yet) own one of those, I'll have to reserve judgement on a direct comparison until I do.

One thing I would note is that if anyone was thinking of rebashing one of these, the crown is relatively low at in and around 4" in the centre. When mine arrived, the teardrop was pressed down - when I set it on my head, the very bottom of it must have made contact, and it popped into place. When it's on, I can feel the liner brushing the top of my head.

I'll get some photos up soon if I can get a chance. What I will say for now is that it's a lovely hat, which looks equally shary with a Burberry or a wool overcoat.

mingoslim

Practically Family
How About a Camptown

Lawman said:
Guys, I am looking to pick up a new fedora in a size 7 3/8. I am looking for a medium grey and a price at or under $200.00. I love vintage, but I am far too busy to try and keep up with the frantic pace of the Ebay auctions for larger vintage lids. I just end up getting frustrated. I just picked up an Akubra Fed which I like a lot. I'd like to try something else, just to broaden my horizons. I'd like something in a medium grey, and at least a 2 1/2 inch brim. I know that $100 more could get me a custom, but I'm pretty firm on the price cap.

Any ideas?

Although I have not owned a Camptown, I hear great things about them, and love their style (Yes, I will own one someday soon ;) . . .) . . .

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra "Swing" @ Strand Hatters

swing_graphite.jpg

2 3/8" x 2 5/8" dimensional cut raw edged brim, about $125 USD + shipping...

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Please post a review when you get it and wear it for a while.
Would love to see some pics of the color.
I have a vintage Whippet in a light/ medium grey that I just love.
Goes with everything.

Enjoy your new hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lawman said:
I think I am going to take the plunge on a Miller. Here is a link to the hat, which I plan to get in grey. I like the 2 5/8 brim.

http://www.millerhats.com/miller_fedora/257_fedora.html

The ribbon treatment certainly looks "whippet-esque." I really like the idea of going with an open crown -- and the height of this one is certainly right. For the money, it looks like a nice lid. As I've said, the President finish is very nice. If you decide to go with it, give us a report!

Cheers,
JtL

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
For under 200.00 you might want to look at some of the styles that Stetson makes. We have a hat called the Sutley in Carabou gray at 135.00 as well as a 1950's style called the Ashland. The quality is on par with Biltmores royal quality line that Miller Hats uses.

Steven
www.bencraft.com

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Sooooo

Steven,
Are all the Miller branded hats, Biltmore's?
There are two that I have been eyeing....
Of course the Borsolino Georgio on your site grabbed me also....:eusa_clap
CJ

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
Steven,
Are all the Miller branded hats, Biltmore's?
There are two that I have been eyeing....
Of course the Borsolino Georgio on your site grabbed me also....:eusa_clap
CJ

Miller sells three branded hats that are Italian made and not Borsalinos. One has a raw edge, one has an overwelt, and one has a bound edge on the brim. They're about $112.00 less than a Borsalino. They look pretty nice on the Miller website but, what the heck, just about anything can look good in a picture.

metropd

One Too Many
In my opinion Guerra (the Italian hat maker on Miller.com) makes one of the best quality hats money can by for a production hat. It is a High quality hat and the Salento is a gourgous hat and comes in a mid grey with a tint of blue. You Will not be disapointed with this hat.:eusa_clap You will need steam to create a tight pinch with a teardrop (if you do like I do)but it should be no problem.;) I think its much nicer than any new borsalino plus your supporting a small hat brand that is on the verge of extinction. The hat buisness is becoming a Borsalino monopoly now in Italy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot