Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some brand advice on a new hat.

So, I finally got around to measuring myself up for a hat today, since my job is finally offering me more hours (thus more money to spend on things I want :D). I'm a 7 1/2, which seems like a large size compared to a lot of other hats I've seen floating around, so I may just go out and buy a new one. I don't have too much money to spend, and I have a tendency to wear what's needed for the occasion - so it'd have to stand up to in-climate weather.

As it stands, I'm looking at either a Stetson or a Christys', and just thought I'd ask the community here what route I should take.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Between a Stetson and a Christy's I'd take the Stetson, but I'd take an Akubra over either brand, and they're in about the same price range. If you're looking for a hat to stand up to weather, Akubra is the answer.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you plan to wear the hat in the rain, avoid Christy's. If you get a Stetson, avoid dark colors, which have been noted to bleed when wet. I also recommend going for a c-crown, like the Downs, rather than a center crease, like the Temple. I foind the c-crowns hold their shape better.

On the other hand, if you are open to Akubra, I have to agree that they are sturdier hats.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Check out this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181-Hat-Stores-a-list

Maybe there's a hat shop close by. I looked, there aren't any in Florida or Georgia. Everyone says that Akubra's are the thing to get, I don't have one (yet). I'm happy with my Stetson Temple, Beaver Brand Stony River, and Jaxonbilt Campaign Hat (Custom hatter in Idaho). If I were in your shoes, no hat shops nearby, I'd buy an inexpensive straw hat from Panama Bob, you can get one for $39.95 (including shipping I think?), in a fedora style and see how it fits and how you like it. Once you get a crown and brim size worked out internet shopping is a lot more attractive.

Later

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
The Akubras are excellent. So are the Stetsons. I've never had a Stetson bleed. Every one I have bought has been a great hat. Same with Akubra.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Another vote for Akubra. I just bought a used pair from a fellow Lounger and love them! They are a lot of hat for the money, and apologize for nothing. Mine are the Federation IV and the Campdraft. I have found both to be attractive and complement nearly any wardrobe choice. Another thing to remember - you can always bash (change the crown and brim shape) the hat to whatever style you like. What you can't change is the brim width. To me, as the brim gets wider the hat takes on a more "western" look.

Look around in the Classifieds section of this site. You'll probably find something in your size and price range that will get you started. And if you buy something that doesn't float your boat, you can always put it back in the classifieds.;)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Between a Stetson and a Christy's I'd take the Stetson, but I'd take an Akubra over either brand, and they're in about the same price range. If you're looking for a hat to stand up to weather, Akubra is the answer.

I'd have to concur and say that all 7 of my Akubra's are probably some of the BEST modern off-the-shelf hats made in the world today. I wear mine in all sorts of weather and have no problems. My oldest is 32 years old. :)

bradbraden

New in Town
I do not have near the experiance that the others do, however I have a Christys adventurer and a Stetson Nostalgia. Between those two the Steston is a better made hat hands down. The Christys seems flimsy by comparison. Looks wise I really like the Christys, but I love the Stetson. One note about the Christys durability though, I have worn it in the rain, not where it got soaked but a steady rain and it was none the worse for wear. In fact I got a really nice shape into it by using a spray bottle on it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have a Christy's adventurer too, and I like the looks of the hat. The bow work is a bit sloppy, but I do like the color and the blockshape. But I don't dare wear it in the rain. My Akuba (or, increasingly, my custom from Black Sheep) is my rain hat.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Avoid Panama, Akubra is good

If inclement weather concerns you, I would avoid a panama hat. I would never wear mine in the rain, unless I was using an umbrella. I have two Akubras, very sturdy, not terribly expensive.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Second the not wearing a Panama hat in the rain not a good idea. I wear a plastic "straw" milan if I know I might have rain about. In the winter I wear a Hat people cap that will hold up to the rain and a umbrella.:)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have three Akubras - two Fed IVs and a Fed III. I use the III in foul weather because its bigger than the IV - taller crown and wider brim. They are all great hats and are the mainstays of my hat wardrobe.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Best bad weather hat ever is a good Resistol western ... tall crown ... cut down brim ... reshaped into a fedora.

Gray, brown and tan all make up nice with a Petersham dressy ribbon, when you reblock them into a 40s fedora style, they are indestructable. And mine have never shrunk. You also don't have to worry about the rain or snow messing up the shape.

Sam

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, keep Panamas out of the rain, the finer the hat the farther from the rain. I don't have experience with sturdy straw hats in the rain, maybe that would be OK, but the finer the weave, the dryer you want it to be.

Jack H

New in Town
Hi everyone. Thanks for accepting me to your awesome forum.

My wife and I are looking for a fedora, which will be my Christmas present this year. I've done a lot of reading in the forums and have decided we want fur felt, preferably with some or all beaver. It will be my first fedora.

We are looking at new hats. Thinking Stetson or Biltmore. However, we are open to suggestions and would appreciate your help.

What brand do you recommend for a fur felt fedora? And who is your favorite source for online ordering that would allow exchange if sizing is wrong? Sadly there are no hat shops in reasonable driving distance.

Jack H.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Akubra. Great fur-felt hats for less than Stetson or Biltmore. Don't be put off by ordering from Australia, lots of us have had great results doing it. Note that if you're unsure of your size, it's better to be a half-size over than under. (You can easily put something under the sweatband to "shim" a hat until the sweatband shrinks to fit; it's a lot harder to deal with a too-small hat.) And you don't want to have to ship a hat back because it doesn't fit... especially to Australia.

Great Akubra fedora models to check out: Stylemaster, Campdraft, Federation IV (only available from Hats Direct), Squatter, Adventurer, Fedora, Hampton, Cruiser, etc. Best dealers are Hats Direct (they stock everything, but have high prices and shipping cost) and Everything Australian (they stock little in terms of "city hats" - you might have to wait three months for a model/size/color - but their prices and shipping are lower). Several others too, including David Morgan if you feel better going with an American dealer (and paying considerably more for the privilege).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner