Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the perfect Car coat

Guthrie Tunes

New in Town
I've been looking everywhere for inspiration or anyone selling that "perfect car coat" and my journey has lasted me over 4 months now. The trend here seems like the more I look, the harder it is to decide. :p

I've been looking specifically only at horsehide between Joe Mccoys, Lost Worlds, Freewheelers Brakeman coat, Y2 leather, Radiall and warehouse. Does anyone have any experience with these jackets? If so, could you throw me some of your personal thoughts before I pull the trigger on one. This is going to be my first leather coat and I might need to eat ramen for the next 3 months so gotta make sure I pick the right one.

Examples of the coats:
Y2 Leather:
imgrc0063037792.jpg

Gangsterville:
gsv-16aw-01-1.jpg

Radiall:
imgrc0070747475.jpg

Freewheelers:
70726f647563742f32303137303531395f6331663264352e6a7067003438300000740023666666666666.jpg

Attractions:
117821404.jpg

Warehouse:
052mt2114-s.jpg

Colimbo:
imgrc0061975994.jpg

Orgueil:
imgrc0067691136.jpg

I'm new to the forum, hope y'all don't mind me starting a new thread as I couldn't find any existing threads specifically on car coats.

Thanks a bunch guys and loving this forum. :)

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
There's a lot of variety in your picks, still. Out of your selections, I personally prefer the look of the Y2 and Gangsterville jackets best. But I'm unfamiliar with the makers so can't comment on them beyond that.

I think the Y2 has a slightly western look to it. To me, it looks a bit like a Aero Wayfarer, which is an awesome jacket that works well as a car coat, albeit zippered rather than buttoned.

I'd also recommend looking at the Schott 569 Retro North Country Car Coat, which is one I've had my eye on for a while.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Lounge!
These are some beautiful coats you've posted. Are they mostly Japanese? We haven't seen some of these brands before. Lost Worlds uses a very different leather than most Japanese brands who use Shinki horsehide.
Good luck on your search. I love that Y2 one...and the Radiall.

Last edited:

Guthrie Tunes

New in Town
Thanks @Guppy, Just a bit of background: Y2 and Gangsterville are both Japanese. Y2 is independent while Gangsterville is a sub-brand of Gladhand & co. Both brands are worth looking into and are priced quite resonably.

@handymike Thank you for the welcome and the pictures I posted are all Japanese. Hope to up my style echelon here lol. :p

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a HUGE fan of the Freewheelers Brakeman and the Himel Canuck. The FW Brakeman has very heavy lining and storm cuffs and, therefore, is not ideal for my desert adjacent climate. I went with the Canuck -- twice -- great jacket. The WF and Attractions jackets are also very sharp.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, I'm weighing up (so to speak) car coats. The Himel Canuck: I hear tell the collar hole is on the large size, risking giving a 'floating' appearance to the neck.

Anyone care to demur/concur?

Loungers, I'm weighing up (so to speak) car coats. The Himel Canuck: I hear tell the collar hole is on the large size, risking giving a 'floating' appearance to the neck.

Anyone care to demur/concur?
I tried on a Canuck this past weekend. In a size that fit very well everywhere... but the neck opening was in fact larger than what I would typically expect. Truthfully not far off from the Vanson Gambler(s) I owned/ tried. I will say that I would likely layer under that jacket and the larger neck is perfect for a shawl sweater or a hooded sweatshirt. It's not a cut that I'd throw just a t-shirt under. I should say style, not cut. These longer jackets automatically lend themselves to layering imho, and should fit accordingly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot