Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lord Kent?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Does anyone know about this company? It's history?
Just received a "Beaver 15" in the mail for a song, great condition. Looking to find out more.

billyspew

One Too Many
From what I can see from Google's New Archive service Lord Kent made a multitude of products, shirts, shoes etc.

There's even a court order banning the use of Lord Kent's English Custom Shoes as they were actually machine made shoes.

No mention of the firm after 1940 however.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I received a rather nice Lord Kent homburg yesterday.

There doesn’t seem to be many of these running around the Lounge. Mine does not have any quality indicator but the felt is very soft and easily takes any bash.

The liner is quite posh but unfortunately the size tag and the sweatband are extremely fragile (as in, possibly of questionable quality to begin with but I also have no way to tell how old this hat is).

I really like this little bulldog. 5 1/2 in crown and 2 1/4 in brim. I pinched the front down for more shade over the eyes.
IMG_8347.jpeg

IMG_8348.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8350.jpeg

IMG_8351.jpeg

Last edited:
I received a very nice Lord Kent homburg yesterday.

There doesn’t seem to be very many of these running around the Lounge. Mine does not have any quality indicator but the felt is very soft and easily takes any bash.

The liner is very posh but unfortunately the size tag and the sweatband are extremely fragile (as in, possibly of questionable quality to begin with but I also have no way to tell how old this hat is).

I really like this little bulldog. 5 1/2 in crown and 2 1/4 in brim. I pinched the front down for more shade over the eyes.
View attachment 541139
View attachment 541140
View attachment 541143
View attachment 541141
View attachment 541144

Nice! Did you modify the brim, other than bending it down at the front? To my eye, I meets all the points for the definition of a homburg but it just doesn’t look like a homburg to me. Very cool.

No I didn’t do anything else to the brim. Here it is originally, without the pinch.

Homburg or just a curl?
View attachment 541153 View attachment 541152
View attachment 541151

I don’t know, but I know I like it. I also like the brim better tilted down at the front.

This hat doesn’t look that old, but in the early 20th century there were a lot of homburg looking hats that weren’t homburgs. In some cases those hats even predated the homburg. There used to be a lot more styles when all men wore hats.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I don’t know, but I know I like it. I also like the brim better tilted down at the front.

This hat doesn’t look that old, but in the early 20th century there were a lot of homburg looking hats that weren’t homburgs. In some cases those hats even predated the homburg. There used to be a lot more styles when all men wore hats.
I was flipping through a thread about curls the other day - it is amazing how much variety there was 100 years ago.

This might be a 40s hat but I don’t know how to tell anything older than that, and I have no reason to believe it is even a 40s hat except for what has already been said in this thread coupled with the general strangeness of the sweatband. I’ve never seen one stitched in this way before and it’s got some unique cardboard behind it that I can’t figure the purpose of. I’d take a photo but I’m hesitant to tug anymore at this delicate sweatband.

hambone71

Practically Family
I received a rather nice Lord Kent homburg yesterday.

There doesn’t seem to be many of these running around the Lounge. Mine does not have any quality indicator but the felt is very soft and easily takes any bash.

The liner is quite posh but unfortunately the size tag and the sweatband are extremely fragile (as in, possibly of questionable quality to begin with but I also have no way to tell how old this hat is).

View attachment 541139
View attachment 541140
View attachment 541143
View attachment 541141
View attachment 541144
Outstanding brim modification! That downward bend changes the profile beautifully. Did you use steam or what? I'm wondering if I can do that with my St. Regis.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Outstanding brim modification! That downward bend changes the profile beautifully. Did you use steam or what? I'm wondering if I can do that with my St. Regis.
I initially used steam but this hat could have done it without. Now I pinch it and release it as desired - maybe a “homburg snap brim”?

I did pinch down my St Regis in a similar manner but it required steam to make it stay and then again to release it.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It is a great hat and looks like a homburg but, as Brent mentioned, styles change and creases change. You will see a lot of what I call western creased homburgs (brims pulled down on the front and rear) in old western movies. I have a Milano that looks like a Lords hat (no brim binding) and resembles a modern western hat based on the crease and swoop on the brim. Based on the brand name, they might have wanted yours to have more of the western look (my term).

20200727_152412.jpg 20200727_152044.jpg

A straight-on side shot might help as well:

View attachment 541155

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
It is a great hat and looks like a homburg but, as Brent mentioned, styles change and creases change. You will see a lot of what I call western creased homburgs (brims pulled down on the front and rear) in old western movies. I have a Milano that looks like a Lords hat (no brim binding) and resembles a modern western hat based on the crease and swoop on the brim. Based on the brand name, they might have wanted yours to have more of the western look (my term).

View attachment 541608 View attachment 541609
My Dobbs 15 looks like the slightly bigger brother to yours!

I couldn’t get the Lord Kent to swoop - the brim was too soft for it. But it pinches perfectly.

Hope your trip is going well for you, Randy!
IMG_8183.jpeg

IMG_8185.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy