Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loss of a Seattle institution

Dave McCone

New in Town
Coming home from work this evening the local Seattle NPR station had a nice piece on Byrnie Utz Hats here in Seattle; info is at:

http://http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kplu/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=1208370

Unfortunately, they are considering closing the store when their lease runs out later this year; from the newscast it sounded as if there might be a possibility that they might reopen elsewhere.

I haven't been in the store for several months - has anybody else talked to Paul Ferry, the owner?

It would definitely be a loss if the store closes -- I always get a kick out of visiting, since the store decor is (literally) straight out of the 1930s.

Anyone else have any information?

Dave McCone

[edited 1/15/07 - a post further down is correct - their lease is up at some point this year, not this month as I originally posted in error]

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, that was on NPR this morning as well.

But I was too much in grief to post.

Hopefully, they re-open someplace still in Seattle.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I'm going out to Bremerton to visit my son (CVS Stennis), daughter-in-law, & 2 granddaughters for about 5 days starting Saturday; was planning on visiting Utz's, since it is only a few blocks from Pike's Mkt. Hopefully, it will still be open till end of the month!

Dave McCone said:
Com
Unfortunately, they are considering closing the store when their lease runs out later this month; from the newscast it sounded as if there might be a possibility that they might reopen elsewhere.

It would definitely be a loss if the store closes -- I always get a kick out of visiting, since the store decor is (literally) straight out of the 1930s.

Dave McCone

I, too, heard that story this morning. I just listened to it again. The report has it that the store's lease is up THIS YEAR, but just when this year it doesn't say. So, I trust (and hope) that they'll be at 310 Union St. through some period beyond the end of the month.
Yeah, the decor is great. Should they decide to relocate in Seattle, I would hope they could find a way to take the fixtures with them. Those cases and whatnot would be all but impossible (and certainly cost-prohibitive) to replace.
It's remarkable that the store has lasted as long as it has, considering the odds against it, what with all the development in downtown Seattle and the tough times the hat trade has seen over the decades and all. And while I would prefer to see Paul Ferry et al stay right where they are, if they determine that a move would help keep the operation afloat, well, that's the way it'll have to be.

tandmark

One of the Regulars
:eek: Gaah!

Seattle's Loungers rise to moan in deep despair, and most
Fail at that hope which springs eternal in a Forum post.
We only wish his landlord saw us shaking in our boots!
(I'd even buy some trucker's caps, to save our Bernie Utz.)

Somewhere in this favored state, the rain is falling bright;
Pearl Jam is playing somewhere; grunge hearts (somewhere) are light
And Frasier Crane is laughing; somewhere baristas shout.
But there ain't no cheers in Rainville, mighty Bernie has struck out.

Mark

Lamont Cranston

New in Town
Byrnie Utz

I did not hear the NPR story, but there was an article in The Puget Sound Business Journal in December about the move.
After that story was published I went into the store and asked if they were moving and they said "No".
Perhaps it is because they were in negotiations at that point. I do not know.

I bought my first Borsalino from Duke Greenman there in 1981, my first real hat, and have been a customer ever since.
Paul Ferry, the present owner, was working there for the Greenman's at that time.
He and his wife Bev run the operation now, along with their son Shawn who has worked there since he was a kid about ten years old.

It has been a tough business over the years. With the quality of manufactured hats declining and men not wearing hats. It is amazing that they are still around.
At one time there were eight hat shops in Downtown Seattle, not including the department stores.

They sell a lot of Kangols these days, and other kinds of hats too.

Bev said that they had a good Christmas season this year. I am glad.

I would hate to see them move! It would be prohibitively expensive to do a build-out like that in downtown Seattle today and the interior would be almost impossible to replicate.

I wish them luck.
LC

Timeras

New in Town
Well, I was in the store not two weeks past, and have some first hand info...

After having my second-hand fedora reblocked and brushed (for Free, no less!) I mentioned my dismay at having heard such a dastardly rumor- this being my first visit and all. Now, I can't put names to the family working (at the least a father and daughter), but they indicated it was more probable that they would move locations, and that such a change would take place around September of this year. (I gathered that the lease was too expensive.)

I was relieved at this reply, 'cause they really did a nice job on my project Indy fedora (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25665) and I plan on returning soon.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There were a couple of other articles over the last year or two that pretty much said with all the building & remodeling downtown, rent renewals are through the roof, but they'd just find another location and go on with business. They've been at 3rd and Union forever, but if that doesn't work out, I'm sure they'll find an even better location. That end of town's really gone "high rent" since Benaroya Hall & Pacific Place & the new Nordstrom (aka the old <sigh> Frederick & Nelson) opened. Moving elsewhere would perhaps improve business - parking downtown & traffic can be a trial at times.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Welcome

I count 3 new Seattle-ites :eusa_clap and :mad: about Bernie's though I have never found a hat in there that actually fits me. When I get one, it will be from Art.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Pic for posterity

Outside and Inside Bernie's

DSCN0296.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

fedoralover

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK, here's a thought...we apparently have months until they MAY have to and, let's face it, probably will move to a new location. We could plan a Seattle-ite event for late spring (when it's sunny & dry). We all gather nearby, and we invade, en masse, to thank them for being a Seattle institution all of these years and showing our support of their continued business. We invite the NPR reporter, a Times reporter, KING, KOMO, Classic Style...you know - all of the important media. We get them some good press, if nothing else.

A publicity stunt sort of thing - the folks at Bernie's would know we're coming, etc. You know - just like all of the other well-planned, mapped out, well-scripted "spontaneous" demonstrations and brawls people do around Seattle all the time. WTO, anti-war, pro-hemp, the tree-huggers, et al. The second the media shows, all the spontaneity and demonstrating begins... "The cameras are here - let's start blocking traffic!"

Maybe MK or Matt or Zemke'll come up again and they can make some sort of proclamation or present a petition from the readers of Classic Style and Fedora Lounge. Designate Bernie's the first "hat-storic landmark" or something like that...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Lamont Cranston said:
Fedoralover, did you take those pictures today?
It was nice out but really cold to be out without any kind of jacket.
LC

No, I was there a couple years ago during the summer. Neat place to visit and look at different brands of hats.

fedoralover

barrowjh

One Too Many
Perfection

. . is to visit Byrnie Utz Hats in downtown Seattle and be photographed wearing my fav Borsalino under that same art-deco marquee sign, with a pretty gal on each arm . . .

Perfect012108044.jpg

Add son Richie -

JnR012108052.jpg

Borso by da bay?

012308051.jpg

unfortunately, Utz was closed on Monday, so we paid $5 parking for a half-hour of photos in front of the store. as if that were not sign enuff, went to REI's flagship store to buy some nalgene bottles and an hour later noticed my discover card was gone - was it the REI cash register clerk, or did I lose it? dunno - promptly cancelled it (there were no rouge authorizations at that time) and accepted it all as a BAD OMEN. no more trips to Seattle! spent the rest of the week on the other side of the bay, and found a fine fish market just North of Bremerton in Poulsbo, no need to visit Pike ST Mkt ever again! it was fun though, and everbody enjoyed looking at the hats in the window. if I ever visit that area again, will certainly try Utz again.

Brinybay

Practically Family
I didn't know they existed. Thanks for tipping me off to a vintage hat dealer in the area, I'll try to pay them a visit soon. Any others I should know about?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner