Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Not the best pictures, but this is what my cat is all about - being a brat, getting in the way, and seeking as much attention as possible. Here, I'm reinstalling Windows on my roomie's laptop, and Chloe the bratcat REALLY wants in on the action!

chloegeek2.jpg

chloegeek.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I had to put my little dog Precious to sleep week before last. I delivered her on April 15, 1994. I miss her greatly. My faithful friend and companion. Goodbye.

I'm so sorry, FooFoo. Hugs...

griffer

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Any allergens? I'd love a kitty but dander makes me wheeze.

They are NOT hypo-allergenic, but my wife's sneezing and mild allergies certainly cleared up when our furry cat passed away.

Most people with cat allergies, as I understand it, are not allergice to the hair, but to their saliva. The reaction is compounded because cat's lick themselves, thereby coating all their fur in saliva, then leaving that fur everywhere.

So, even though the hairless dudes still have saliva, they aren't leaving it on deposits all over the house and in your bed where you can breathe it in.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
griffer said:
They are NOT hypo-allergenic, but my wife's sneezing and mild allergies certainly cleared up when our furry cat passed away.

Most people with cat allergies, as I understand it, are not allergice to the hair, but to their saliva. The reaction is compounded because cat's lick themselves, thereby coating all their fur in saliva, then leaving that fur everywhere.

So, even though the hairless dudes still have saliva, they aren't leaving it on deposits all over the house and in your bed where you can breathe it in.

Note that many people with allergies have stronger reactions to the dander of male cats.

As for hairless cats, that myth has been dispelled. Cats also shed dry skin, just as humans do, and they do leave that all over the house. Also, hairless cats tends to be oilier and they have no fur to guard against that. I have heard of hairless cats leaving oil stains on clothing items. They tend to actually have to be bathed.

For people with allergies, regular grooming/bathing can go a long way to alleviate the problem, having a female cat can help, and so can an air purifier and vaccuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
griffer said:

Here's something strange. I've been highly allergic to cats all my life. Sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, break out in a rash, runny nose, etc. But we had a few mice sneak into our house a few winters ago and so we let our garage cat (the grey cat pictured above) inside the house. I was miserable for a few days, but slowly I started to become acclimated to her. Pretty soon the sneezing and itchy eyes stopped and I would get a rash if I held her without a long-sleeved shirt. Another week or so and even that went away. Now, we have Mama plus her two babies in the house and it's only the rare occasion that their dander will bother me and I'll sneeze. But that's the extent of it. No rash or anything else.

Weird. Never knew I could tame my cat allergies by just being around them.

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
AmateisGal: Great looking kids. Especially the grey cat. Very noble looking.

KittyT: I feel your pain. There is something about the computer that attracts our cat as well.. and it ONLY happens when I am doing homework or playing a video game.

Everyone else: Beautiful animals. It is good to see so many animal lovers here.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AmateisGal said:
Here's something strange. I've been highly allergic to cats all my life. Sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, break out in a rash, runny nose, etc. But we had a few mice sneak into our house a few winters ago and so we let our garage cat (the grey cat pictured above) inside the house. I was miserable for a few days, but slowly I started to become acclimated to her. Pretty soon the sneezing and itchy eyes stopped and I would get a rash if I held her without a long-sleeved shirt. Another week or so and even that went away. Now, we have Mama plus her two babies in the house and it's only the rare occasion that their dander will bother me and I'll sneeze. But that's the extent of it. No rash or anything else.

Weird. Never knew I could tame my cat allergies by just being around them.

It is actually more common than you think for people with allergies to develop tolerance to cats. I have known many people who developed tolerance to a cat after being around it for awhile.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Here I am, sitting at the computer enjoying the Fedora Lounge, when Little Miss Noname - whom we've finally named Peanut - starts romping around on the desk: working the mouse inder my hand, typing, etc. Until about fifteen minutes ago when, while I'm reclining in my chair, she walks up my right arm, across my chest to my left shoulder, sits down and falls asleep. :D

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
It is actually more common than you think for people with allergies to develop tolerance to cats. I have known many people who developed tolerance to a cat after being around it for awhile.

And my sister, who is allergic to nearly everything, was told my her allergist that the most common request allergists get is to elliminate allergies to cats.

Lee

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Here I am, sitting at the computer enjoying the Fedora Lounge, when Little Miss Noname - whom we've finally named Peanut - starts romping around on the desk: working the mouse inder my hand, typing, etc. Until about fifteen minutes ago when, while I'm reclining in my chair, she walks up my right arm, across my chest to my left shoulder, sits down and falls asleep. :D
Lee

It looks like your temporary guest is starting to make herself at home... ;)

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Ok, so what I do is this:

Get a leash and attach it to his neck when you are home. I've always attached a standard leash, but some people cut the leash to 2 feet or so.

When he starts doing a behavior you don't like, grab the leash and yank it down to the ground. Say "NO" in a loud voice. If the behavior continues, put the leash under your foot and hold it there for a short period of time.

I have had a full grown german shepherd-lab mix dumped at our house that was abused. She was 100 pounds or so, and never trained. It was terrible. She stole food off the table, put her head on our kitchen table, tried to eat off my plate, jumped on me during meals...you get the idea. She wouldn't sit still for a meal we ate.

Anyway, my husband went away for a week, and I trained her using this method. I ate three meals at home for 1 week. That's 21 times I trained her using this method in one week. I came home for lunch, sat down to eat, and calmly put her leash under my foot, forcing her to the ground in a DOWN position. Each day I increased the time I did this, and praised/rewarded her. By mid-week, she was trained. By the end of the week, I could get her in a "DOWN" position for the meal without the leash. My husband was stunned. :D

Hope this helps.

Vintage Betty

It did! I didn't use a leash (my dogs don't wear collars if they aren't outside, because I don't want their neck hair to be grooved/flattened out), but when he'd jump on me and start reaching for my face with those big feet I'd make him lay down & tell him no. He started to do it once today, but I caught him. He was wild there for awhile. lol

$ally

One Too Many
nubsnubs said:
Cute cat. My wife had one named Toonces as well.. She called her Tuna Bear. Just thought I would share. She grew to a very old age, I cannot recall exatcly. A long, happy life though.
"He drives around, all over the town..."

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
"Temporary" is a word that doesn't last long in this house. lol
Lee

My mother has 9 cats at her house for the same exact reasons. lol

From the looks of those pictures you posted of Peanut she sure knows how to work the cute angle. I wouldn't be able to resist. I can just imagine her plotting at night, "I must find an even cuter spot to fall asleep in tomorrow, then the house will be mine! Mwa-ha-ha!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran