Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love Children! Scam!

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, I must of totally missed something along the way. I see poems as well as all kinds of stuff on the OB.
I didn't even know it had to relate to vintage stuff. People chatting online about nothing is entertaining to me.
Could someone put the rules out a little more clearly.
No politics I understand. Since I am a vendor which I don't understand when I see people selling all kinds of stuff as well. Is it just vintage clothing vendors?
I really need to know as I have sent quite a few people to the FL.
Thank you. Sandy

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I plan my charitable giving once a year and make monthly donations.

If I don't need or want something, I don't buy it.

Other than Girl Scouts selling cookies, I haven't seen much fundraising. We tend to do that around here with mill levies on property tax.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
Just wondering if those who have kids or grandkids understand what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. I've had three children go through school, with the fourth is still in school - and already brought home that d**m fundraiser stuff the other day. Now the first of my grandchildren is in kindergarten, and will be making the rounds with their fundraiser.

The pressure put on kids to sell is tremendous. It's a racket that is perpetuated by the vendors, as the profit margin for the school is next to nothing.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man, and woman does not live by vintage alone. As you say Foofoogal there are amny topics that begin or meander to non-vintage content. The Observation Lounge is the place for that in my humble opinion. Geez there's a zillion other pure vintage topics and threads here! We all have 2007 intruding into our lives for better or worse so I like seeing current things...like keys with chips. Shows we're not all a bunch of quaint lame-os.:D

leaette

A-List Customer
i remember when i was in elementary school, the fundraiser company would have an assembly! and show you the PRIZES you could get once you hit a certain dollar amount that you sold. and for a child, I WANTED A NICE PRIZE! but, my mom was a stay at home mom and my dad wasn't allowed to sell things at work. so i could only sell some things to my relatives which didn't amount to much. i never got a cool prize.
i was so jealous of the kids who's mom's/dad's took it to work and sold a ton of stuff! totally not fair!

when i think back, what a scam.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Most of our fundraisers give the school 50% of the profits. However, the stuff is all crap! My school earned $7000 this semester compared to more than double last time and it all boiled down to the fact that last time they handed out weevils (you remember those fuzzy ball creatures with eyes & stickers for feet?) for every order you took and they promised a BMX show for the school who sold a certain amount at the prize assembly (that was so awesome :D).

My former company made it a rule that you were absolutely forbidden to sell to co-workers because so many people complained that they felt obligated to buy when they really didnt want to. And my husband flat out refuses to take anything into work.

I did always think that there should be two top awards given. One to the kid who gave the form to their parents to take to work and one for the kid who got out there and actually did the work themselves. I just throw the packets away as soon as I see them now!

But as much as I hate school/scouts/soccer/baseball fundraisers, I hate stay at home mom fundraisers much, much more. Ugh! :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo