Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luftwaffe - Arado M1

Cole

One of the Regulars
Original-fliegerjacken.de sells a Luftwaffe jacket whitch they call Arado and that is made from Aero Leathers. I am thinking about geting one of these for at least 6 month now (yes I know, I just ordered a A2 38-1711-P [huh] ). The main reason for me to like this jacket so much are the fabulous pictures of this special order Arado original-fliegerjacken.de display on their homepage.

Arado-front.jpg

Arado-back.jpg

Yesterday something funny happened. I have a friend I see about twice a month, from whom I know that he has one of these Arado jackets. A few month back I took a glance at it, but since I was in a hurry it only took a few seconds. Since then I allways wanted to take another look at the jacket but never managed to do so, until yesterday.

I am 1.5" to 2" taller than my friend and about 20 to 30 pounds more heavy, so trying the jacket on never realy came to my mind, since he must be a size 38 or 40 and I have a 44" chest. Boy was I surprised to find out that the jacket my friend owns is not only a size 44, but that it is the jacket pictured above and used on the homepage of original-fliegerjacken.de to advertise the Arado. My friend is left handed and asked for the map pocket to be on the other side. He also wanted another liner, one that is warmer and a little more robust than the red lining normaly used.

The tag inside the jacket says "Made of Steerhide" which is also a surprise, since they are normaly only offered in horse hide and heavy horse hide. The quality of the jacket is superp, the leather feels great and is medium thick but still very heavy. The only thing that was a little annoying was, that the zippers where still very hard to operate, since the jacket has not gotten much wear time so far.

The cut of the Arado seems to be rather generous. Wearing just a T-Shirt I still had plenty of room in it and even with my thick Super-Dry hooded sweatshirt I could wear it comfortably.

Sadly I did not have my camera with me, so I only have a crappy i-Phone photo so far. There wasn't much time to take pictures anyways since whe met with 30 people to smoke cigars and have a good time. Another friend of mine made 2 or 3 pictures with a better camera, but he still has to send those to me.

Here is the one I have so far. As soon as the other pictures are in my mailbox I'll post them as well.

arado-andreas1.JPG

Now I only need an idea how I can convince my wive, that I'll need another leather jacket for 800,00 € in the not so distant future. With the A2 30-1711-P just being ordered and our second child on the way I fear she will not be to understanding about this projekt. I might also try to talk my friend into lending me that jacket to take some better pictures of the jacket as a whole and all its details, if there is anybody interested in it.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Very cool story! Beautiful jacket: this one looks much better proportioned than the one on the Aero website, which appears too wide. I also love the alpaca lining. The steerhide looks very supple: it resembles the oil pull horsehide I have, though a little darker.

With another lightweight jacket on the way, I would recommend that you wait and enjoy your latest acquisition before buying this wonderful jacket. That way, too, it will be easier to approach the wife! :)

Windward

Practically Family
Now I only need an idea how I can convince my wive, that I'll need another leather jacket for 800,00 € in the not so distant future....

Hey Cole - Smoke gets in your eyes :cool: - but real cool and fits you well - have to say the jacket looks much better on you as shown in the pics.
You have the right build for this kind of jacket ... and I really feel with you my friend ... pobably this may help:

CanIBuyAnotherLeatherJacket-1.jpg

Are there two outside map pockets??

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Aero would probably make much more business if only they found a professional photographer for a change. But maybe they post those lousy pictures on purpose because they have more business than they can handle already.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Windward, I believe it's not a second map pocket but leather straps to secure an oxygen mask.

Windward

Practically Family
Windward, I believe it's not a second map pocket but leather straps to secure an oxygen mask.

Thanks Rudie - never saw a jacket with such a kind of a map pocket onto the right shoulder - it reminds me of a shooter / hunter jacket for press the rifle butt onto ...!

Cole

One of the Regulars
The other 3 pictures just arrived. If I'm ever going to order one of these I guess I'll go for a size 42 with the arm and body length of the size 44. I was wearing a real thick hooded sweatshirt underneath and it was not tight at all. :eeek:

arado-andreas3.jpg

arado-andreas4.jpg

arado-andreas5.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
As my friend always said ... looks killer to you ...so grab that thing but . . . :eeek: PLEASE NO hooded- hip- hop- rapper- kid- sweater
it looks ridiculous - you look cool enough with only the jacket. Ever tried a scarf to keep your throat warm...?

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Cole;

That Luftwaffe Arado looks great. If your that much taller and heavier than the owner of the jacket, it has to be too large for him. Convince him of that and tell him you are willing to purchase his jacket now (with the deep discount for being his friend) and then he can buy something else that fits. After all what are friends for?

Buy the jacket now and you can thank me later!

For what it's worth, I agree with Windward.............loose the hooded sweatshirt with the leather jacket. A scarf and a newsboy wool hat to deal with your winters would look much better. Just my opinion.

That jacket appears to be a terrific fit on you.

Best regards,

coffee

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments and yes, I know the hooded sweatshirt does not go well with that jacket, but I was dressed to keep warm that night (it get's kind of cold in November with the backyard/garden door and 1 window open to get at least a portion of all the cigar smoke out that 30 people produce) and not to try on leatherjackets.

I'm afraid my friend won't let it go and belive me, I've told him that it must be at least 1 or 2 sizes to big for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy