Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luftwaffe style leather jackets vs "rocker" leather jackets?

Jackanapes

New in Town
I've been looking very closely at the Eastman, Noble House Lufwaffe style jackets along with some of the Lewis motorcycle/rocker/aviation style leather jackets. I like them all and I know they are all good quality. I'm not sure I'm up to paying the Eastman or Lewis prices, however. I can swing the Noble house prices though. I'm hoping to get some advice based on what I know I want, which I will describe below:

I want a black Luftwaffe style jacket. Preferably a shinier black leather than the matte finish with fairly conspicuous chrome zippers on the sleeves, pockets and main openings. I do not want the Hartman style pockets, but prefer the flush mounted "slit" pockets on the sides. I'd like it to be fairly close/form fitting. I'm 6'2" 185lbs, so I'm pretty tall and slim. I think I could pull off the closer fit fairly well. I also have fairly long legs (34" inseam) and I think the higher waist on the jacket might work for me too. Although on the other hand, I am middle-aged (late 40's), so I don't want to go too far and make it look like I'm having a mid-life crisis and pretending to be Joey Ramone or Erich Hartmann in his prime (although I could have pulled off Hartmann quite well when I was 20). Hopefully that still makes sense? :D I'd also like the arms to be fairly long. I have fairly ape like arms (as far as I know) and I also ride a motorcycle, so I'd like the arm length to accommodate both of those variables.

I like the black Luftwaffe 109 style jacket that Noble house sells and I like the price much better than Lewis or Eastman. Plus it's German made, so I doubt the quality is questionable in comparison. Right? But it appears to be a longer length jacket with a considerably lower waist and it also appears to be not as quite close fitting as the originals worn by Hartmann etc. Is that right? Is there a way to special order it in a slightly different config than what's offered standard?

Another thing I've read on this forum is that the Lewis "rocker" or aviation style jackets might fit the bill for what I'm looking for. I looked on their website and the closest thing I could find was the Dominator 551. The fit appears from what I can see very close to what I may be looking for. Although that jacket seems a bit off because it's not as shiny as what I think I'm looking for (again preferring a shinier black vs matte finish). But it's not the rocker or aviation type jackets I've heard mentioned before. Someone on this site showed pictures from the "The Battle of Britain" where the Luftwaffe pilots (actors) were wearing Lewis rocker jackets or something like that (which were close analogs to the French cycling jackets they wore during the war). Here's a video showing what is probably the closest thing I think I'm looking for:

[video=youtube;JoqB5tlzAXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqB5tlzAXY[/video]

I also need to learn about how to properly measure myself. I'd hate to order a $1000 jacket from overseas site unseen and then end up with something that didn't fit me. Anyway, any help or advice figuring out the jacket situation appreciated. I've enjoyed reading many of the past posts on this subject as well.

Edward

Bartender
The Sixties Brit war flicks all had Luftwaffe boys in Lewis leathers (the Dominator and Corsair models, if memory serves), but they aren't quite the same cut. (JonnyJonny had a thread on this round here somewhere a few years ago as he bought several jackets chasing the perfect Luftwaffe look). The ELC options will be much closer to the period. I've never handled a Nobel House myself; some folks have bought them (you'll find a few threads on here about them) and the general word is that they're.... okay, but don't expect an Aero or ELC for half the price. The Luftwaffe didn't issue these slim leather jackets - they were pp, and mostly French or German cycling jackets (also worth noting that they were not uniformly black, either - though of course that is what we commonly associate them with now as a result of Hollywood / other films in the Sixties. Seems the black uniforms of the SS and the Panzer regiments cast a long shadow..?) An Aero 30s Halfbelt would, imo, be a superb jacket for something in a Luftwaffe style. Not sure if they'd do one for you with a zip sleeve, but worth an ask. If you want something in that general flavour but less tight fitting, a 50s halfbelt shape could do it. One of the Ace Cafe series (I think it was called the Rocker?) that Aero did for a couple of years (as an LE model) would have been very close to it - I think it was just called The Rocker?

Worth keeping an eye out on eBay for this sort of thing - and originals, if you're lucky enough to find a vintage cycling jacket that is your size and hasn't been crazily price-inflated by the "Luftwaffe, no, honest, guv...." tag...

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Das Jacke

thanks for remembering moi edward...

interesting thing is that the look we all attribute to those fascists with a sense of style and no sense of morality actually took the 'luftwaffe' jacket (as we all know) from the french bicyclists...so maybe we should praise the french for the style on this 'jacke'

to answer the question at hand...don't...as in DO NOT...get a noble house...they are mid-range mall replicas from my experience actually purchasing one about 4 years ago...sure, they might have gotten better, but they still look the same in their pix and i truly doubt at that price they have risen to what you'd like

the aero, lewis and eastman are all superb, but with slight variances in fit and style...i've had all three. the best from an authenticity point of view (no, i didn't fly a messerschmitt) via pictures and purchasing a lot of these has been the eastman...such an amazing jacket. it is light, but beautiful soft horsehide so it looks vintage to begin with. and i defy anyone to get one of these and tell that this is not from back in the day by architecture of the jacket. the lewis, while used in the film, had a bit thicker steerhide (tho i'm sure you might be able to special order in horse if you don't mind putting out a hit order on a horse) and a more modern look...not thoroughly vintage looking as the eastman...and that would be because the dominator was made not as a throw back or replica of the past, but a true early 60s style jacket, which it is, but does have quite a bit of the original heritage to have made it usable beautifully in the battle of britain (eastman leather was not around then anyway).

aero has some jackets, NOT the highwayman, which look very luftwaffe...if i recall, the route 66 (name?) would have been my choice, but again, it is really a variant of what has become the iconic style...i'd love one, but for icon use, eastman wins hands down.

if you don't mind a modern element thrown in, i'd suggest the schott 641 steerhide, quite an amazingly luftwaffian jacket that equals my appreciation of the eastman...the 641 is my second favorite leather jacket period, after the eastman...however, it comes with a cafe racer collar, which i actually prefer stylistically, however, if you want to go 'dark side' (read 'luftwaffe'), the eastman can't be beat.

and i think to a man, and woman, people on this forum will say do NOT try to save on price...you will regret it later. get the best you can afford...even if you can't really afford it...you will love it love it love it, vs regretting getting it later. get the eastman if you wish to be authentic, about $1000 i think these days...get the schott 641 steerhide if you want just as much quality, style and beauty, but don't mind a cafe collar vs the actual shirt style collar the originals had--about $600 and worth it, tho some ebay sellers offer them new and are in fact resellers for schott, for about $500...just check feedback, carefully!

best, jj

Last edited:

Jackanapes

New in Town
Thank you both for your replies, I have found them extremely useful in my research:

Edward – I hadn’t heard about the Aero jackets you referred to. I went to their website and took a look at all they had to offer. Looks like many great jackets that come quite close to what I’m looking for. I especially scrutinized the halfbelt as you suggested. Other than not having sleeve zippers, they’re very close to what I’m looking for. I especially like the apparent fit and sizing of the jackets. I just wish I had a place around where I live that I could try all these exotic European jackets on. Although the halfbelt (the belt part itself) is not exactly what I had in mind, I still think it looks good overall. I’ll keep an eye on ebay as you suggested.

Johnny – Thank you for weighing in on the whole Luftwaffe jacket issue, I was really hoping to get your input. It seems you have done all of the homework I’m currently trying to do. It would appear as if we have very similar tastes in jackets, so it’s nice to get a passdown from someone who has already covered this rather obscure and often arcane territory.

I’ll very carefully consider your warning to NOT get a Nobel House jacket. Although it’s a bit disappointing, considering the price differential. Are you quite certain the quality is really sub-par? I guess at this point I haven’t necessarily convinced myself I need the crème de la crème. On the one hand, as long as I felt the quality was still good to very good and the styling and fit was nailed down to what I really wanted, I’m thinking I might be satisfied with a jacket like that. Especially considering the original quality of the jackets used by the German pilots and French cyclists probably wasn’t of museum grade materials and workmanship in the first place. On the other hand, I wouldn’t call myself a connoisseur of fine leather jackets at this point, but then I often creep into those positions the more educated I become about a product or thing I start obsessing over. Life is short, I would like to have - just once - the perfect jacket. And considering my age at this point in my life and the fact that the finer jackets (i.e. Eastman, Lewis etc) are of such high quality, they will easily outlast me. And realistically speaking, I probably only have maybe another 25 years of leather jacket wearing to go - assuming I still want to wear a leather jacket in my mid-70’s lol. Which actually, I think I will, even hobbling around with a cane or in a wheelchair. It’s the attitude that counts. That never goes out of style - at any age. Anyway, maybe I should just go for it?

Getting back to the finer jackets you suggest: I looked at the Schott you mention and wow, that is extremely close to what I’m looking for. The only unfortunate deviation is – as you recognized - that it does not have the lapeled collar. It also appears to have heavier leather, which I like. The cut and apparent fit of it looks like what I’m going for. The price is just a little more than Nobel House too and well under Eastman. Darn, that’s very, very tempting. Have you seen the new Nobel House Heinz Bar Luftwaffe jacket? Looks pretty cool too, although based on what you're saying I doubt its quality is up to the level of the Schott or Eastman:

Blackfrontgr.jpg

I have a query into Nobel House and I may put one in with Schott too. I really appreciate the insight and comments so far. THANK YOU!

mihai

A-List Customer
Regarding Luftwaffe style jackets, owning an original , I find that is quite difficult to reproduce it the right way. It's not enough to throw in just the distinctive elements: pockets, sleeve fasteners, front buckle. The actual pattern of the jacket is more important as it determines the fit.
I am also looking for a Luftwaffe style jacket but as faithful to the original as possible. To be honest I did not find something to match the vintage original I own in terms of fit.
I agree with the others that Aero, Eastman, Lewis offer top quality. I have some jackets from Aero and Lost Worlds(another top maker) and I can say they are really impressive. It's like getting in a Merc S-klasse :). I saw some pics of the Eastman Luftwaffe jacket but I found it not to fit as seen in ww2 pictures /footages. It seems a bit blousy, not so trim fitting. I wonder how it would change if downsized a bit. So for the moment I am not decided.

Regarding Noble House.
I paid them a visit recently in Ulm. As a general note I think their items have a good quality. Stitching, assembly look good, I could not find any fault at a close inspection. I tried on mostly the German ww2 inspiration jackets that they pretend are crafted based on original ones patterns. After trying them on I am inclined to believe they are pretty close. The leather they use has a medium thickness with nice smell and feel. However it's a bit too soft for my tastes on jacket leather(resembles as softness to the leather used in high-end car interiors). Also the lining fabric is a bit light, I prefer some rougher/denser one. The hardware looks fine.

Now about NH Luftwaffe 109 jacket. I am also 6'2" and around 195 lbs with some more trunk taper (chest-waist) and wear regular length for jackets, suits. I tried on the size L and it seemed all right as a modern fit, esp if you want to have some sweater underneath. I sized down to M and I found it more accurate to a vintage fit. Not tight, just on the trim side (resembles to the fit of Hans leather jacket from the movie fragment). The waist is not low at all it is just right. I had a pair of Levi 501 on me and it fit at about waist line. Between the leather shell and lining most of their leather jackets have some filling which I find it ruins a bit the way the leather drapes when worn. If I do not find a faithful reproduction from high-end makers I might give this jacket a try. It is quite all right actually. If it had sturdier materials, for 100 euro more would be a hit.

I own from them the winter Kanal jacket, with cotton shell on the outside (sheepskin inside). I saw an original and I could say it is as close to the original as possible. Great jacket it comes with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

Jackanapes

New in Town
Thanks for your input mihai. It's great to hear from someone who's actually visited the Noble House store and tried on the actual jackets we're talking about. Sounds like the quality is good to very good, but perhaps not quite up to the Eastman/Lewis/Aero standards of excellence. I think that's to be expected considering the price point. I carefully scrutinized the NH jacket detail pictures and watched their videos. Although a few of the pictures are a little small (and hence somewhat difficult to gage quality), I'd say overall I like what I see in terms of quality and attention to details.

Speaking for myself, although I can certainly appreciate exacting reproductions, I'm not really obsessed about the precise historical accuracy of the Luftwaffe style jackets. I'm more interested in the overall theme and look, which is shared with the higher quality 60's rocker jackets also discussed. For me, it's really about the trim, tapered, clean style with zippers and collars in the right place. For instance, the jackets shown in The Battle of Britain movie (shown above), although not truly period accurate, for my purposes get the job done just fine. And although I'm not knowledgeable about the finishing or leather curing methods the originals used, in my opinion I'd rather have a jacket finished with modern methods (vs Aniline dye etc) so that it would be more able to tolerate rain, moisture, wrinkling and other hazards inevitably encountered through frequent day to day usage. And I do plan on wearing it frequently and for years to come, so to me this matters a great deal.

You mention the Eastman jacket being a bit "blousy." I tend to agree that the pictures I've seen of it appear to show a looser fit than the originals - and perhaps this is very deliberate? Although clearly an extremely fine jacket, it appears to be fitted to more modern standards. In my view, this is an area of deviation from the spirit of the originals. In my opinion it should be a bit trimmer and more conformally fitted to the wearer. Although at the Eastman price point, they may offer to pull the jacket in as you desire for nominal or no fee(?). I seem to recall Johnny saying this was the case in one of his earlier posts I had read. I just wish I could see all of the jackets side by side and try them all on in various sizes. Yeah, I'm sure that store exists eh? ;-) Maybe in the fliegerjacken Valhalla outlet store. :D

It seems you have a very similar build as I do, and you also are seeking the same fit I am. So the information you've provided concerning the fit of the Noble House 109 jacket is extremely helpful. It sounds like you're saying that if I special ordered a Medium jacket with sleeves from a Large sewed on, that might just be the perfect fit. What do you think? Might be a workable plan, plus I couldn't see the Noble House folks charging an "arm and a leg" for what amounts to a pretty simple deviation from a standard jacket (considering they make their own right there on site).

Thank you again for sharing your direct knowledge of the Noble House products!

PS>> Did you happen to try on the Heinz Barr jacket? And what are the differences between the various grades of leather and horsehide? I still haven't figured that part out yet. Thanks...

Last edited:

Jackanapes

New in Town
Checked out the Schott 689 and it looks like a very good candidate too. Appears to be the same jacket as the 641 except with lapel collar. Priced between the Eastman/Lewis grade and Noble, but apparently with Eastman/Lewis type quality. Very tempting...

200_177.jpg

mihai

A-List Customer
@Jackanapes you're welcome! Yes NH quality is quite good. As johnnyjohnny said Aero, Eastman, Lewis are in another league. But also cost double and if I pay high $$ I want to see everyhing: work and materials quality, historical details, maybe some slight customization.

If you're not concerned about details sure there are many other alternatives. Schott 689 looks great(materials, work) as a 60s jacket, reminds me of the NYPD period jacket as overall shape. I see on bay 370886844425 at 599 but they don't have 42. Even at full price( 725 usd) is 100 less than the price of a Lewis Dominator not to mention that you don't have to pay customs fees. If you plan to wear it frequently and for a long time, it worth spending something extra.

Personally I'm interested also in the historical details. I researched a bit this w-end so I'd try Lewis Dominator. Only if they are willing to make minor customization for a decent price. I mean having a buckle at front bottom, epaulets attachments on the shoulders, snaps at sleeve zippers, and zippers also for lower pockets. I want a closer jacket to the original so that I can wear with some (legally allowed) insignia: shoulder boards, etc... Perhaps wearing it with breeches and Luftwaffe boots would provide a very nice outfit.

Eastman could be doing that deliberately so that the jacket fits to the current average body type. I have no experience dealing with Eastman but I find fair that at this price point to offer some customization. I have the impression that Aero is more flexible to this regard. Oh yeah, some place where we could try on and put head to head would be great. I would be more confident in ordering and willing to purchase. Lacking that I admit that all this research / documenting regarding sizing, fit, materials takes time and makes me postpone over and over and over the ordering of a new jacket.

Yes overall we have similar build. About the arms length I am not sure. I have 61 cm to the wrist and 67 cm to the knuckles. The NH 109 size M fit few cm lower than the wrist, which was perfect as vintage fit. Pay attention that sleeves vary also in circumference between the sizes. Perhaps you just need a bit longer sleeve. Customizing it should not be a problem. I have had very good experience dealing with them both remotely and at the place.

Wellcome, I find this kind of information (fit of item to persons alike) is more relevant than a size tag or even measurement.

Unfortunately I did not test the Heinz Barr jacket. I did not spot it there (among that large number of jackets).
I checked also to see the difference between the types of leather (horse / cow) and I think they are quite similar in appearance. Perhaps the argentinian horsehide is bit more consistent / thicker.

One more thing about what johnnyjohnny was saying - to try getting a top of the line from the first time. It's likely that after you buy even a cheap one and start getting more documented you'll be more aware / exigent and become "addicted" :). Quite likely you'll end up getting higher-end ones. However even if you buy it, a cheaper one is great to wear it daily. I wear daily also cheaper ones. I have a couple of higher-end, custom-made, vintage jackets but I wear them casually just on occasions. This way I avoid getting bored of them (happens in my case) and keep them in a good state. Same goes for shoes, repro jeans.

Last edited:

Jackanapes

New in Town
Stearmen thanks for the link! I had missed that thread before, lots of great reference info in there concerning Luftwaffe attire during the war.

Mihai - Thank you again for your terrifically informative response. I feel very fortunate to have someone with such direct and intimate knowledge of this unusual topic guiding me with invaluable knowledge that would otherwise be very difficult to come by. Same goes for Johnny and his body of work on Luftwaffe jackets too. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to share what you know and providing such detailed descriptions of these beautiful jackets.

At this point I need to have myself professionally measured. I'm also going to get a tape and try measuring myself as accurately as possible so that I really have a solid idea of what my current size is. I also have a cheap leather "mall jacket" I wear now (made in China) and I will attempt to measure it and derive insight on its dimensions and how it hangs on my frame. Then use that info on the measurements of prospective jackets to help decide the appropriate size to order. The troubling thing is that I will not be able to try on any of these European jackets before buying them, and certain aspects of the fit are very subtle and personal. Add to that, language barriers between myself and a German guy or a French guy or even an Englishman can result in mis-communications that add to the confusion. Confusion that results in the less than perfect jacket after spending a pretty penny. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Anyway, mihai once I get myself measured, if you wouldn't mind I would like to compare my measurements (especially arm's length) to yours so I'll have a better idea if the 109 jacket might fit me well in a medium. It may not be necessary to alter it if my arm length is not as long as I might think. But here in the states, usually if I wear a medium shirt, the arms come up a little short. I know EU sizes tend to be smaller than here in the fat USA, so that's why I'm concerned about medium having too short sleeves.

Ok, thanks again. Mihai hope you don't mind if I email you once I get my measurements? I heard back from Alexander at Noble house and he said alterations are 50 euros. Jackets of course are non-refundable if alterations are made, too. But overall, I thought that was fairly reasonable, especially if he's willing to add zippers to the sleeves of the Heinz Barr for that amount.

Thanks again to all.

Metatron

One Too Many
I tend to agree with Mihai that the interlining on the NH jackets spoils the feel a bit.
Not only that, it turns an all weather jacket into a strictly winter garment.
It is too warm.
I had mine removed by a tailor.
If you can convince them to make you a jacket without the filling, I'd do it.

This thread should be in the outerwear section.
Serviiiice! ;)

A similar thread popped up recently btw, Jackanapes:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...French-Cyclist-Luftwaffe-Jacket-Manufacturers

Last edited:

Jackanapes

New in Town
Thanks for the heads up metatron. So the filler material under the liner is overly substantive? It detracts from the fit and makes it too warm? Hmm, that's yet another wild card. With the filling out are you sure the jacket will hang properly on the body? I would think that layer of stuffing is taken into account when they cut the material for whatever size they're making. I'm starting to think there might be a little taxidermy to this art of jacket making (which if you think about it, makes a certain sense). If I get them to gut the jacket before taking delivery, that worries me a bit.

Can you tell me what model jacket you bought from them and what your experience with it was? Including your size and fit preference too? Thanks for the info so far, guess I have to figure the filling part out too. I don't mind a mild fill, but I certainly don't want a poofy, winter only jacket at all.

Maihi - Would you say the lining material "problem" rises to the level of having it removed? Does/did your original Luftwaffe jacket have a liner of some type? I would think a French (or any nationality) cyclist would not desire a leather jacket with a lining.

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
Anyway, mihai once I get myself measured, if you wouldn't mind I would like to compare my measurements (especially arm's length) to yours so I'll have a better idea if the 109 jacket might fit me well in a medium. It may not be necessary to alter it if my arm length is not as long as I might think. But here in the states, usually if I wear a medium shirt, the arms come up a little short. I know EU sizes tend to be smaller than here in the fat USA, so that's why I'm concerned about medium having too short sleeves.

Ok, thanks again. Mihai hope you don't mind if I email you once I get my measurements? I heard back from Alexander at Noble house and he said alterations are 50 euros. Jackets of course are non-refundable if alterations are made, too. But overall, I thought that was fairly reasonable, especially if he's willing to add zippers to the sleeves of the Heinz Barr for that amount.

Thanks again to all.

Sure, once you have the measurements let me know. This is one of the purposes of this forum. I understand how difficult it is to evaluate the fit remotely.

Maihi - Would you say the lining material "problem" rises to the level of having it removed? Does/did your original Luftwaffe jacket have a liner of some type? I would think a French (or any nationality) cyclist would not desire a leather jacket with a lining.

To be honest about this, I did not analyse this aspect too much. If I remember well it was not too thick. But having in mind what Metatron said, it's better to have it removed so that the jacket can be used when it's warmer. I guess I'll do the same in case I decide to order.
My original Luftwaffe has just the lining directly over the leather. There is no filling. The lining fabric is something made of cotton with a velveteen appearance. You can find some pictures here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ts-Fellas!-D&p=1616401&highlight=#post1616401

Jackanapes

New in Town
As an update, I've been corresponding with customer support at Noble House in preparation for possibly buying a jacket or two. I asked about the issues you guys have raised. Here's what I've learned so far:

Regarding the filling material in the lining: They said it's true, their jackets are warm. The lining filler is a synthetic material that is very thin though. It will not change the fit of the jacket if it is removed (20 euros to have it removed and the liner sewed back in). He said the reason they use it is that the thick leather they use is rather coarse and it imposes a sort of sandpaper effect on the liner, which may cause it to wear out sooner. He did not know why anyone would say the jacket's fit would be any different than without the filling because they use a very thin layer that does not add any real bulk.

Overall I am very pleased with Noble House's customer support. They've been very forthcoming with helpful information. I'm thinking I may take your guys advice and ask to have the filling material removed. In the event the liner wears out due to the abrasive leather, I can always have it replaced for hopefully not too much money. I do want to be able to wear the jacket throughout more of the year than just winter. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful info. Hopefully I'll be measured this weekend and be able to start determining sizing.

Metatron

One Too Many
Jack, my jacket is the nachtjager which is something I was looking for for ages after seeing photos of late war Luftwaffe pilots. It is the only leather jacket issued by the Luftwaffe, between 1943 and 1945.
I think jacket warmth is subjective to an extent, but to give you my perspective, I found that I wasn't getting enough wear out of mine.
I could only really wear it between late fall and early spring, and there was never any need to wear a sweater underneath.
After removing the filling, I can wear it virtually year round by adding/removing layers of clothing, except for the hotter summer days.
(This is UK weather btw)

Jackanapes

New in Town
Thanks meta. Yeah I agree with you guys it would be worth it to pony up 20 euro to have the lining filler professionally removed. I have a mall jacket now with a zip out liner and its usability throughout the year would be greatly diminished if the liner was fixed in place. Once I get sized up, I think I may be ordering the Heinz Bar and the 109 jacket. Looks like I could get both for the price of one Eastman or Lewis. The quality might not quite be the pinnacle achieved by these premium brands, but it should meet or exceed the quality of the originals. Plus I'm hoping the fit will actually be more to my liking. Which is more or less what I'm looking for in a jacket.

I didn't see the Nachtjager jacket on the Noble site. Do you have any pics of this one? Sounds interesting.

Metatron

One Too Many
This is the one...

Here it is worn by fighter wing 1 jet pilots shortly before their surrender in May 1945.

This is my repro

Fairly accurate, but I'm still looking for someone to make me one in brown leather.

mihai

A-List Customer
@Metatron - great jacket. Is it made of the argentinian horse hide? It would look good with shoulder board mounts (round button plus loop).

Interesting idea with the brown, it would look more retro. Did you try asking for this?

I plan to put the trigger on one like this a bit later this year. I will go there again so that I try it on for a perfect fit.

I already have the kanal winter/summer jackets. I ordered a pair of shoulder boards and plan to put mounts on the shoulders. It would provide a more authentic look :D.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I, too, have had my eye on a Luftwaffe jacket for some time, and I was wondering what you fellows thought of the Pegasus versions. I particularly am attracted to their Marseilles jacket but thought it perhaps only suitable for q 20-year-old until I saw some new photos on their website with a man wearing one. It seems far more "wearable" than I had thought.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Jonnyjonny for his earlier thread on this subject, which I think is one of the best-written threads I've read on this forum.

Metatron

One Too Many
@TropicalbobThere are a couple of reviews of Pegasus jackets here. The consensus is that they are in the same league as aero et al.
I respect them for coming up with their own interpretations of the classics, rather than doing a bog standard copy.

@Mihai, not sure about the shoulder boards, wouldn't it be a bit too... Luftwaffe? ;)
The jacket is cowhide.
Most of the originals I have seen online are actually brown.

If you visit them, do me a favour and inquire about having a brown one made... I tried to convince them to make one on a couple of occasions and they refused.
Perhaps if they see that there is an interest from more than one person, they will become more flexible. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy