Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lunch, Anybody?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
It was around 3:30 when I realized I hadn't had lunch yet and now it was too late if I wanted supper, so I made myself an egg cream :) Delicious

It was around 3:30 when I realized I hadn't had lunch yet and now it was too late if I wanted supper, so I made myself an egg cream :) Delicious

Kudos, I didn't think there were many left who even know what an egg cream is. I grew up coming into NYC and my grandmother would take me for an egg cream at this drug store that had a soda fountain where we'd get two (she loved them). They also had a street facing window where you could buy an egg cream to go, which we'd do if we were in a hurry. I had no perspective or real knowledge of the Golden Era and all that stuff as a kid; instead, I just "felt" the Era in that drug store and, without knowing it then, fell in love with it.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
My mom is from New York (Queens) and I've been fortunate to have the real thing a time or two. My makeshift version hits the spot though!

I love your drugstore memory! My paternal grandparents lived in a small town that was very quaint. They had a drugstore with a soda fountain too. No egg creams, but they made a mean limeade, complete with real lime juice and simple syrup. It was so good. They had a real five and dime too. I loved going to visit them :)

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The local Summer hot dog and ice cream shop just opened this week, so I stopped by on the way home and grabbed a hotdog and chips for a late lunch.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The local Summer hot dog and ice cream shop just opened this week, so I stopped by on the way home and grabbed a hotdog and chips for a late lunch.

Vienna Beef dog? With mustard, of course.:D Holy Dogs across from Holy Name Cathedral closed a few years ago....:(

Brought bakery cookies into the office this morning-munching on a few of those and working on my March madness bracket and critiquing others.
Happy St Patrick's Day and please pray for Notre Dame.:D

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I had a turk'y, cheddar, and mayo sammich on Italian bread. I had some pistachios to go with it but didn't have time to eat them (short break).

Today, I was at the "Leipziger Buchmesse" and got my old-fashioned "combat-sandwhich" with me. Doubled grey-bread with nut-nougatcream, packed in alu-foil.
:D I'm so unique, these days. ;)

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Oh, Nutella! I'm familiar with that. In fact, I have some hazelnuts I bought with the intention of making a sugar-free version. I just haven't got around to it yet. Project for Sunday, maybe. I don't know anything about that bread. I guess the closest cousin is pumpernickel. I like that very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot