Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-65 dating

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
I'd like to know too, and that extra snap on the zipper flap near the top

I'd like to know too, and that extra snap on the zipper flap near the top, what is it for? I can't believe I don't know, but hey, we can't know everything [huh]

Fiver64

Practically Family
year dating

yes, you can date it exactly. If you find the string of numbers on the tag under that looks something like xxxx-67- xxxx-xxx (sorry I don't have photo on hand), it's the 2 digit number (like the above 67) that's the year of manufacture. Great jackets, BTW! Very comfy and long wearing.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
snap

The snap is for a parka type hood that could be fitted onto the M65. It used the epaulette button and button holes behind the collar. The hood with a m65 liner made the field jacket almost as warm as a N3B. As far as OG107 I think they stopped putting that on the tag in 70s. Fiver is refering to the DLA or DSA contract number. It should have a "C" in there somewhere. Older jackets wouldn't have a DLA or DSA so that is another way to date it. Does it have buttons on the wrist adjustments or velcro?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Jackets made in or after 1965 will have DSA numbers on their specification tags. The number will read something like "DSA 100 70 C 0644". The two-digit number after the "100" is the year of manufacture. Jackets made after 1977 or so will have "DLA" numbers on their tags. The DLA number will look much like the DSA numbers on previous jackets and the same rule appplies...the two-digit number after the "100" is the date of manufacture. I think 1991 or 1992 was the last year the M-65 was issued, but other military jackets made after 1995 or so have "SPO" numbers on their tags. You guessed it..the same rule applies. If it doesn't have a DSA, DLA or SPO number on the tag, it probably isn't an issued M-65.

I just wish dating vintage Stetsons was that easy.:)

AF

Peacoat

Bartender
Phantomfixer said:
The hood with a m65 liner made the field jacket almost as warm as a N3B.

Yes, the liner made it a warm coat. Otherwise it was just a medium weight cotton coat. I have a 1968 and a 1983. Both have the Velcro fasteners at the wrists. Neither is an Alpha.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
SPM

Thanks so much for that enlightening info on the snap for the cold weather hood. Unfortunately the final version Universal Camo coats don't have epaulets, so no buttons there. but the eylets on the collar is there and so is the extra snap on the zipper flap. I like that the epaulets are gone but what were they thinking for the cold weather hood then?

My current ACU issue has SPMxxx... on the contract line, is that correct?.

Oop! just found that contract: 2 years 52million dollars on coats and uniforms, wow!

Principle Contractor: Golden Manufacturing Company, Incorporated
Date of Issuance: 12/26/2007
Branch of Service: Defense Logistics Agency

Contract Details:
Golden Manufacturing Co. Inc., Golden, Miss.,* is being awarded a maximum $52,527,000.00 firm fixed price contract for cold weather coats and universal field combat uniforms. There are no other locations of performance. Using service is Army. This proposal was originally Web solicited with 11 responses. This contract is awarding base year only at this time. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. Date of performance completion is Mar. 31, 2009. The contracting activity is Defense Supply Center Philadelphia (DSCP), Philadelphia, Pa. (SPM1C1-08-D-1036).

Total Contract Value: $52,527,000

My older ones are all worn out, cant read it. Oh well, I use to throw them into the washers in the barracks after mudding it for weeks.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
And another older contract final version M-65

Golden Manufacturing Co., Inc., Golden, Miss., is being awarded a maximum $7,735,500 firm-fixed-price contract for cold weather, camouflage coats. The using services are Army and Marine Corps. There was one sole source solicited and one responded. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The date of performance completion is June 30, 2007. Contracting activity is DSCP, Philadelphia, Pa. (SPM100-06-C-0439).

It's fascinating, from the M-65 system components (hood, liner, etc.), to the specific IR reflectance properties to the water resist treated fabric, to the contract numbers, to the pleathora of sizes they are made in. These are some of what makes the issue M-65 a highly collectible garment, much more so than the $700 repros IMO.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I'd love to date my old U.S. bought OG M65...I think it might be Nam era....but the white label is so faded you can't read anything... the brass collar and main zippers are made by SERVAL if anyone can help ?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here's an M65 question that I asked a few veterans yesterday,and no one could answer: What is the purpose of the triangular flap in the cuffs of the coat that is normally turned up,but has a square of velcro on it? I've never seen any sort of gloves that might utilize this.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Velcro adjusts cuff independent of flap

Velcro holds flap under and inside sleeve when not extended theres a velcro sewn in the sleeve as well to receive the velcro on the flap. That flap extended position is for additional coverage of the hand and wrist area in cold wind/etc. as far as I know.

Peacoat

Bartender
P5640blouson said:
Velcro holds flap under and inside sleeve when not extended theres a Velcro sewn in the sleeve as well to receive the Velcro on the flap. That flap extended position is for additional coverage of the hand and wrist area in cold wind/etc. as far as I know.

That's the answer I would have thought also, until I put my field jacket on. The triangular flap really doesn't add much coverage to the wrist area. Plus it doesn't cover much of the wrist. I wonder if perhaps some of the gloves were Velcro friendly, and that flap, when extended, would attach to the back of the glove and give more protection from the wind and cold, as suggested by blouson, by holding the sleeve down and next to the glove.

Although the gloves issued back then had the leather shell with the wool inserts, and no Velcro attachment. Or perhaps it was anticipated that Velcro would be attached to gloves in the future? Maybe this will be another unsolved mystery from a time long ago.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Interesting M-65 system

Peacoat thanks for jogging my memory. I was issued (back then ) the entire M-1965 cold weather clothing system. I only had need to use the field jacket and the utility fingered gloves with wool inserts out of it. This is because the Army also issued me a ECWCS Gore Tex based system which I used most of the time. Nevertheless, I remember that the M-65 system had the fishtail parka, the fuzzy add on hood, mickey mouse air filled rubber boots, trigger finger mits (mit with one finger, yeah!), and perhaps some other stuff. The mits however did not have any velcro tab that I can remember, but I did not inspect them closely. It all just sat in my locker for 3 years. that velcro tab on the M-65 sleeve would be useful to attach to back of gloves it seems. I use to tuck my black fingered gloves into the field jacket sleeve. Those were cold assed months in the field. Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran