Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-65 Field Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a black one by Alpha. It may not be vintage (the originals may well count as such) but it is very well made - good thick fabric. I don't use the liner since it doesn't get cold enough here. Drawbacks? It's an M-65, as worn by movie serial killers and TV homeless persons. They can look sloppy. :D I got black because most of my clothing is black. The Alphas fit large. i generally wear large jackets 42 to 44, the medium Alpha fits well.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Got 3 :D

2 alphas ( Black and Olive) and an olive original ( all with liners ) a GREAT winter jacket ... fi is a little on the large side ( even the 1970's original ) .... all of mine are "Large".

Plus side

- Nice and warm and can be washed in the washing machine on a 40 deg wash
- loads of pockets
- incredibly practical
- great look

Minuses

- not waterproof
- Have that "military" look
- not as hard wearing as duck cotton

all in all great jackets though .....

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like the RMC M65:

mj14006-14fw.jpg

mj9115.jpg

the-realmccoy011.jpg

Travis Bickle's M65:

Taxi-Driver-Travis-Bickle-s-M-65-Field-Jacket-with-patches-and-campaign-button-5.jpg

+1 on Plumbline's post. I wore one exclusively for, heh, must've been 3 years. Whole bunch of these arrived from the States at some point during the war here, must've been a military surplus or something...
It's very comfortable, perfectly practical, very durable (at least mine was) and easily maintained. Not too warm by itself, however, so you will need to layer up and yeah, there's that look that comes with it.
I really loved that jacket but it was on the large side to begin with and after I've lost weight I had to part with it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Several years ago, my main winter jacket was a black M-65 with a liner. I wore an insulated, zip-up, hooded sweatshirt as a second layer when necessary, but that wasn't very often. The M-65 is a classic and smartly designed. Versatile with the addition of a liner. I can't believe they're $150 (Alpha Industries). That's laughable. As much as I like(d) mine, there's no way I would blow $150 + liner on one. There are too many other, cheaper options to warrant that kind of price.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have one. It's an U.S. Issue Alpha Industries 1973 that I picked up last year on ebay for about $100. It was unissued/unworn and I love it. It's very practical and very warm when worn with the liner. You wouldn't think so, but it is. Even the hood can come in handy. I used it more than once this past fall and winter. I even wore it one day during a blizzard and it was plenty warm. As you know, it's got 4 big pockets that come in very handy. You can fit most of what you need to carry into the two beast pockets and use the lower pockets to keep your hands warm, if needed.

There is really no reason to get an expensive reproduction or even a civilian version, unless you want one in a unusual color. Get any U.S. Issue M-65 from 1965 through the 1980s and you'll be in good shape. Look on ebay. You can pick up a liner there too (they are relatively inexpensive). They come in x-small through x-large, and in short, regular and long lengths. Do keep in mind that these field jackets have a roomy fit..at least the U.S. Issue jackets do. Unless you're going for a baggy look, be conservative with the size you choose. Don't worry about needing extra room for the liner...it's very thin and lightweight.

(From a fellow Hoosier...in New York)

- Ian

Last edited:

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I have both M-51's and M-65's and both a great jackets and if you add the lining they are very warm too. I really don't understand the likes of RM and BR replicating M-65's at ridiculous prices when so many good originals are still available at cheap prices. The best quality M-65's are those Vietnam period and earlier, later ones had plastic zips behind the collars and poorer build-quality.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
+1 on going for the vietnam-era originals

As far as I know RMC and BR modify fitting of their M-65s to make it look more "stylish", for example slimmer sleeves.
And they also replicate grey tinted lining, relatively rarely found among the originals.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The M-65 is a classic and smartly designed. Versatile with the addition of a liner. I can't believe they're $150 (Alpha Industries). That's laughable. As much as I like(d) mine, there's no way I would blow $150 + liner on one. There are too many other, cheaper options to warrant that kind of price.

On the other hand, they are far superior in quality to a $300 mall winter coat that borrows military styling without any class and even less quality. I think the Alphas are reasonably priced given the crap you can get. I got my new Alpha for $100.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
+1 on going for the vietnam-era originals

As far as I know RMC and BR modify fitting of their M-65s to make it look more "stylish", for example slimmer sleeves.
And they also replicate rarely found grey tinted lining.

This will be for the Japanese customers. My western female friends always describe Japanese men as 'scrawny', which is a little cruel, but most men under 30 do have the body of a prepubescent western teenage girl. I have noticed that BR A-2's seem overly trim, and BR tiger stripe pants are a very tight fit on the legs (strangely though, BR MA-1's seem one size over-sized. Go figure.).

I think, TBH, Japanese manufacturers have had to 'slim down' the fit of a lot of their reproductions as the standard sizes would leave Japanese men swimming in them (chest might fit, but shoulders, sleeves, and waist would be too baggy). As a side note, many western brands in Japan (e.g. GAP) change their sizing labels so that a US or UK L is LL (XL) in Japan. I had never seen mens clothing sized SS (XS) until I came here.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
On the other hand, they are far superior in quality to a $300 mall winter coat that borrows military styling without any class and even less quality. I think the Alphas are reasonably priced given the crap you can get. I got my new Alpha for $100.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. If you can get an original in your size, then lucky you! But if not, Alpha repros are not that bad a product at all, I have an Alpha M-65 which I often wear in winter. Either way, 'military inspired' disposable, over-priced mall clothing is a rip-off. The true M-65 or Alpha copy will always be a style icon. This years mall-clothes will be next years land-fill.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I was checking out this thread last night and remembered my 1982 issued field jacket with liner downstairs in the basement. My daughter leaves for college in Boston tomorrow and I asked her if she'd like to have the jacket for knocking around at college. She'd never seen the jacket before and is frothing at the bit to wear my "old" Army jacket. I was pleasantly surprised and very honored.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most of the M65s do not come with liner be it surplus or civilian's. My understanding is that the surplus liner would not fit onto a civilian Alpha and vice versa. So you might want to bear that in mind.

zhz

Practically Family
I have the original ARMY ISSUE OG-107 M65. These jackets are great. It is worm enough in the winter with liner, and can also be worn in spring and autumn without liner. And what I like most? the big pockets. A very practical design.
Also, dont go for modern Alpha M65, they changed the design, the pockets are much smaller, and the this jacket looks stupid with the small pocket.
Go for original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy