Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Gannon hats are so good that if you got one in a color less to your liking then you'd change hair color, get colored contact lenses, and by a new wardrobe. The hat is not the problem.

jJzJsr6.gif

~ S.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Photos more accurately depicting the color of Granite:
639c7484c26ebc5d5be64ac88c81a9a5.jpg

243ff88fc64f2c97a07f82ec61173586.jpg

@Redfokker it’s a nice color, but not the color of Short Balding Guys

Having a small(est) of Granite swatches here, and looking at both your pictures and @Short Balding Guy's, it looks the same color to me...?

I would like to introduce my new Gannon Wanderer in granite beaver felt. The granite felt is a chameleon in its ability to pair with my attire. Excellent warmer felt color choice.

i-NKckfNP-M.jpg

i-Z82swT4-M.jpg

i-2z7nk7x-M.jpg

So much depends on the light, the setting, the ribbon color against the felt in those different settings and light....

It also looks the same color as @moontheloon's, which looks different in every image in his post (some images removed so all the pictures would fit in this post)!

My granite has more brown tones and was a bit disappointed as I wanted more of a Grey toned closer to the Stetson cariboo

I realize that the stone granite comes in different colors and shades, but this is what I think of...

Definitely more grey than What Winchester calls granite.

Stetson's Caribou has blue undertones (? -if subtly so), while the Winchester Granite undertones are brown. Akubra's grays (Moonstone, Cruiser, and Carbon) keen bluer still. I like 'em.

While a little disappointed that Winchester's beaver 'gray' is not similarly blue-hued-- I like the bluer grays very much-- I'm grateful that Michael gave me a heads up out of the box that Granite had brown undertones, and quickly sent me the felt sample that makes clear exactly what this means.

I'm still playing, and pondering.... The Granite sample is always second from the bottom:

Stetson Caribou backdrop, Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel felt swatches:
TqlpYOZ.jpg

m50mUp3.jpg

Akubra Cruiser Gray Backdrop:
QsjWy3M.jpg

k1HIpEM.jpg

Akubra Carbon Gray:
BLNujfc.jpg

bNx6ZBj.jpg

Stetson Silver Belly backdrop:
rD5e8nY.jpg

PzOqiDz.jpg

On Akubra's Moonstone...
tIYy5Fb.jpg

Look how the Granite goes entirely Brown in the face of Navy blue!
IYbLxag.jpg

... and this is all under the same (or at least a similar) set of lighting conditions, with the sun going in and out, etc.

Because everything suddenly looks more saturated, and almost accurate, betimes:
GBXW9Yt.jpg

uZGElfP.jpg

(Granite remains the second swatch from the bottom.)

Fascinating, at least to me! I'll stop, now. o_O

~ S.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Can’t see going wrong with any option. I have a natural and a granite. Granite is my winter hat and the natural is my go-to spring hat.
Have fun choosing
Johnny

I go between having fun and analysis paralysis, with a dash of mistaking some of the colors for others in the middle parts-- the latter of which points directly to your thought above, that any one of these is a great color.

Speaking of which, Granite and Natural have similar color values/saturation when viewed in small swatches-- I really like them both! if and when you have opportunity, I'd love to see your two hats together.

(Steel is the outlier; I love the color, and @Fourman110 just posted his beaut again, but I'm not sure I'm looking for something that dark... yet? Tho' I am mighty fond of my Carbon Homburg, for which I receive more compliments than any other of my hats combined. Of course. o_O)

Decisions.

~ S.

...Fascinating, at least to me! I'll stop, now. o_O
I'm also fascinated and consistently amazed by the way background colors affect the way felt hats photograph with regards to color. The color of every hat I've purchased online has been something of a surprise when I've received the hat and was able to finally see the true color for myself. Photographing them has been a real learning experience, and has given me a greater measure of respect for professional photographers.

Also remember that there are differences in the same color in different dye lots. And them the manufacturer can decide to intentionally make dye changes but keep the same name for the color. Winchester’s Black Cherry comes to mind or the spectrum of the ever changing color that is silverbelly.

I go between having fun and analysis paralysis, with a dash of mistaking some of the colors for others in the middle parts-- the latter of which points directly to your thought above, that any one of these is a great color.

Speaking of which, Granite and Natural have similar color values/saturation when viewed in small swatches-- I really like them both! if and when you have opportunity, I'd love to see your two hats together.

(Steel is the outlier; I love the color, and @Fourman110 just posted his beaut again, but I'm not sure I'm looking for something that dark... yet? Tho' I am mighty fond of my Carbon Homburg, for which I receive more compliments than any other of my hats combined. Of course. o_O)

Decisions.

~ S.

I’ll post a side by side comparison as soon as I’m back home.

Michael is currently making me a hat in steel that I hope will be delivered next week. Not a great photo:

8d20aad992091d77ed74f67bc065ebe4.jpg

I’m on the fence with choosing a lighter colored hat. Michael likes “bone” but Silverbelly and silvermist are also nice. I even gave camel a look, but I decided against it for now. I passed on pecan because I have lots of browns and I have a whiskey on order with Northwest. I wonder if limestone is still available? I saw a VS in that color that looked great.

There are lots of choices, but luckily there are no bad Gannon hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
I'm also fascinated and consistently amazed by the way background colors affect the way felt hats photograph with regards to color. The color of every hat I've purchased online has been something of a surprise when I've received the hat and was able to finally see the true color for myself. Photographing them has been a real learning experience, and has given me a greater measure of respect for professional photographers.

I agree, on all points.

Also filed under, "Who knew?!"

And to think I was lookin' for a hat, not a hobby.... o_O

This it the photo of Eric’s granite where it seemed lighter and grayer:

f470bca57dea4292af8a8b43d84195a2.jpg

Eric also mentioned that the color was something of a chameleon.

Clearly! ...My eye can now see the brown in it, where I may not have picked up on it before.

But even more? Here's another of @Short Balding Guy's first images of his Granite hat, included in the post I quoted above but also featured on Michael Gannon's site:

IMG_3357_1024x1024_2x.jpg

Y'know, "Granite." :D

(Great picture, great hat!)

~ S.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys/gals I am just tuning in after some work travel. Ahhh, granite felt talk. Boy I know granite. I have a VS granite and a Gannon granite. The felt is definately a town/country, a warm/cool color hue. The hints of brown/red in the gray make it a warm gray. Steel gray(my idea of a medium gray) and charcoal are cool grays. I like the granite as it works for my country/city style of attire. My 2 granites are 3 years apart from different crafstmen and they are nearly the same hue.

I am flattered that you dug up some my pics of the granite Gannon hat. The last pic, me by the lake shore, is very acurate in indirect sun/shade. The pic above is accurate in direct winter sun. I hope it did not cause any false expectations. In the future will attempt to post the sunlight conditions for reference.

Granite works both with black, gray as well as brown and tan attire. I think it is a versatile felt hue.

Eric -

Having a small(est) of Granite swatches here, and looking at both your pictures and @Short Balding Guy's, it looks the same color to me...?

So much depends on the light, the setting, the ribbon color against the felt in those different settings and light....

It also looks the same color as @moontheloon's, which looks different in every image in his post (some images removed so all the pictures would fit in this post)!

Stetson's Caribou has blue undertones (? -if subtly so), while the Winchester Granite undertones are brown. Akubra's grays (Moonstone, Cruiser, and Carbon) keen bluer still. I like 'em.

While a little disappointed that Winchester's beaver 'gray' is not similarly blue-hued-- I like the bluer grays very much-- I'm grateful that Michael gave me a heads up out of the box that Granite had brown undertones, and quickly sent me the felt sample that makes clear exactly what this means.

I'm still playing, and pondering.... The Granite sample is always second from the bottom:

Stetson Caribou backdrop, Whiskey, Pecan, Natural, Granite, and Steel felt swatches:
TqlpYOZ.jpg

m50mUp3.jpg

Akubra Cruiser Gray Backdrop:
QsjWy3M.jpg

k1HIpEM.jpg

Akubra Carbon Gray:
BLNujfc.jpg

bNx6ZBj.jpg

Stetson Silver Belly backdrop:
rD5e8nY.jpg

PzOqiDz.jpg

On Akubra's Moonstone...
tIYy5Fb.jpg

Look how the Granite goes entirely Brown in the face of Navy blue!
IYbLxag.jpg

... and this is all under the same (or at least a similar) set of lighting conditions, with the sun going in and out, etc.

Because everything suddenly looks more saturated, and almost accurate, betimes:
GBXW9Yt.jpg

uZGElfP.jpg

(Granite remains the second swatch from the bottom.)

Fascinating, at least to me! I'll stop, now. o_O

~ S.
Colour is such a fascinating and vexing issue. I have a complete set of Winchester felt swatches and ordered my Granite from the swatch. The finished product, once the felt was pounced seemed to bring the brown tones more forward and the hat appears to be much browner toned than the unpounced sample.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Decisions.

~ S.

Here is a picture of mine. Natural top tight. Granite bottom right. BTW neither are by this hatter. Just commenting on the colour.
bd8ee863a6fb3ea164f55698268b0457.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decisions.

~ S.

I’ll post a side by side comparison as soon as I’m back home. Michael is currently making me a hat in steel
Hey guys/gals I am just tuning in after some work travel. Ahhh, granite felt talk. Boy I know granite. I have a VS granite and a Gannon granite. The felt is definately a town/country, a warm/cool color hue. The hints of brown/red in the gray make it a warm gray. Steel gray(my idea of a medium gray) and charcoal are cool grays. I like the granite as it works for my country/city style of attire. My 2 granites are 3 years apart from different crafstmen and they are nearly the same hue.

I am flattered that you dug up some my pics of the granite Gannon hat. The last pic, me by the lake shore, is very acurate in indirect sun/shade. The pic above is accurate in direct winter sun. I hope it did not cause any false expectations. In the future will attempt to post the sunlight conditions for reference.

Granite works both with black, gray as well as brown and tan attire. I think it is a versatile felt hue.

Eric -

Your posting are excellent and I knew that the felt could/would look different in person. I love your Gannon family tree photos as they are all there in the same light at the same time. I’ve spent hours staring at those photos and planning.

Thank you again for sharing the photos and reviews as they truly are an invaluable resource.

Brent

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Granite felt hat this morning as I was spreading ice melt around the walkways. Pic taken well before 7:00am with cloudy overcast skies. I wore charcoal sweater and a black vest to better showcase the true felt color.

i-F3Xsfcg-M.jpg

Here is a comparision pic of a charcoal felt taken at 8:00am after scrapping off the melted ice. I need to clean the surfaces before the real snow comes.

i-4VS9whP-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24