Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Thanks!

First, thanks for all the helpful information and images you and others have provided!

MY HAT: first pictures Michael Gannon sent me, in other lighting:
cRIP3i7.jpg

7pb3TFC.jpg

Granite beaver felt with a 7/8" Steel Blue Ribbon
2 1/4" brim, unbound
Antique Brown Sweatband
Goal of a lower crown than most of you prefer-- that will possibly 'read' as similarly proportioned on my smaller head.

(I requested that the crease bring the hat to 4" or lower at the front and back, without requiring the telescoping required on most crowns to get there.)

(( I'm thinking Open Crown from the get-go, next time. o_O ))

I should have it in-hand, on-head, soon! :)

~ S.

Granite is a slippery vixen and she looks different in every lighting condition. It looks great with the steel blue ribbon! Very nice indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jack for the kind comments. Like many of us, I make an effort to take pics that showcase the hat features and hues accurately.

Silvermist is exactly a cool white with the gray/blue undertones. When next to the silvermist the SB shows its warmer tannish tones. I do see the beaver silverbelly very similar to the vintage Stetson 25 OR's in hue. The silvermist felt is a bold felt in its silver white hue. Paired with grays/black and white combos of attire it is special.

i-Nc9TXF5-M.jpg

Above is a Gannon silvermist.

i-cgPnBfN-M.jpg

Above is a VS silvermist.

i-4D9sXcJ-M.jpg

Above is a Gannon silvermist.

I hope the pics assist. Eric -
Eric, coming back to this discussion I wanted to view some color swatches before my eyes against known favorites among my hats. It makes it easier if you have a match, then it does viewing a small swatch alone. I should add that it is raining here today, these pics are taken in natural light conditions that are somewhat subdued. The swatches being examined are Bone - Silverbelly - SilverMist.

IMG_1457.jpg

I have long loved this Rand hat of mine but had forgotten exactly what the color was named. I had assumed it was an earlier generation of SB before SB became so tannish. It seems now that SilverMist is a pretty good match.

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

To be continued:

Knowing now that I could really like SilverMist depending on the hat, I was anxious to compare SM to another color that I really like, BlueSmoke from VS.

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

SilverMist would appear to be a bit more lighter than BlueSmoke, meaning it will likely be quite a bit lighter & more whitish in bright sunlight. And Silverbelly really shows tannish against Blue Smoke.

To be continued:

Very interesting comparisons of colors Jack. When you recharge, the conversation can continue. I find that silvermist (my Olcott, NW Hats) has more of the cool tones in direct light. Bone (the BoneLord) is really more cream, like a bone in the sunshine. It does not go with a gray suit jacket at all, too warm. All are great colors, I only need a SB to complete my set.

It also must be noted that Winchester Silvermist has changed, or varied. I was enamored of one of Chamuco's hats in SM, driving my first Gannon purchase. However, before I could get one, Winchester changed the dye a bit, giving it less of a blue hue. My SM is"whiter" than Rudolfo's. I can't remember when you purchased yours, Jack, but I think you have the later version as I do.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Knowing now that I could really like SilverMist depending on the hat, I was anxious to compare SM to another color that I really like, BlueSmoke from VS.

SilverMist would appear to be a bit more lighter than BlueSmoke, meaning it will likely be quite a bit lighter & more whitish in bright sunlight. And Silverbelly really shows tannish against Blue Smoke.

To be continued:

Jack; Just as Michael noted above, the silvermist is a cool white. I think of wearing it when I wear cooler toned colors.

Many colors can be both warm and cool. I purposely chose a charcoal ribbon treatment so that I could bring the bright white cool hue back to wearing with black garments. I have seen other silvermist hats, like Michael and others use different hued ribbons. I think they really add versatility. I have always been curious to commision a silvermist with a sage hued ribbon. Cool with a warmer green might be very versatile to wear.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
It also must be noted that Winchester Silvermist has changed, or varied. I was enamored of one of Chamuco's hats in SM, driving my first Gannon purchase. However, before I could get one, Winchester changed the dye a bit, giving it less of a blue hue. My SM is"whiter" than Rudolfo's. I can't remember when you purchased yours, Jack, but I think you have the later version as I do.

+1. The silvermist hood that is the basis of the VS silvermist I have has a decidedly bluer hints in it. Basically the same, but side by side they do show up a bit differently.

Jack as you are familiar the silverbelly color within Stetson Open Roads even of darn near same era vary greatly. I apply this lack of standard to my choice of modern felts. They can not be color equal, just reference points. I have 3 green moss modern felts and they are decidedly different. Your other custom hats certainly point this out. I suspect others reading along may read with eyes wide open.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Bone can not be easily confused with the different color batches or versions of silverbelly. Bone is cream, not tan.

Bone is a warm tone. I deliberately chose a matching ribbon and thaen a sage ribbon accent to assist breaking up the "huge expanse of cream."

I hope this helps Jack.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
An aside: Winchester beaver felts are purchased in expensive big quanities. Hatters must "bank" the felts knowing that folks will aquire them. Michael as of yet has not stocked bluemist or dove felt hues.

On the beaver felt hues available from Winchester my all time fav is still dove. Art Fawcett still offers this felt and it kicks. It is a lighter gray that when paired with different ribbon treatments it can be very versatile. Warm/cool attire- just seems to work with this very light gray.

The above does not help your decision Jack. Just some thoughts on a cool/rainy afternoon.

I find that silvermist (my Olcott, NW Hats) has more of the cool tones in direct light. Bone (the BoneLord) is really more cream, like a bone in the sunshine.
I agree with the cream description. At times in low natural light conditions my Worth - Walden's that I am comparing to Bone take on an almost yellow undertone. In bright light it becomes so whitish to the eye that it's like a camera meter that's overexposed & blown out.

I can't remember when you purchased yours, Jack, but I think you have the later version as I do.
My Rand that I'm comparing to SilverMist is from the early 1990's. I don't have any recent SilverMist for comparison.

I purposely chose a charcoal ribbon treatment so that I could bring the bright white cool hue back to wearing with black garments. I have seen other silvermist hats, like Michael and others use different hued ribbons.
The period of hat that I have in mind would require a tone on tone ribbon rather than a contrasting ribbon. If it turned out to be too white in bright light then I would probably be disappointed in SilverMist. Plus Michael's current ribbon stock in 13/16" is all contrasting colors.

I hope this helps Jack.
It has.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I agree with the cream description. At times in low natural light conditions my Worth - Walden's that I am comparing to Bone take on an almost yellow undertone. In bright light it becomes so whitish to the eye that it's like a camera meter that's overexposed & blown out.
My Rand that I'm comparing to SilverMist is from the early 1990's. I don't have any recent SilverMist for comparison.
The period of hat that I have in mind would require a tone on tone ribbon rather than a contrasting ribbon. If it turned out to be too white in bright light then I would probably be disappointed in SilverMist. Plus Michael's current ribbon stock in 13/16" is all contrasting colors.
It has.

I am not a big fan of yellow tint - and in certain light (difuse, low and shadowed) it has that exactly.

Tone on tone with silvermist sounds bold. I would have to see it. It would remind me of the big white western hats I see in the audience at the rodeos. The VS with a blue/gray ribbon on silvermist turned out dynamite. Check out Rabbits silvermist photo essay as it has some great options.

Glad this assists Jack. I am still chasing the dreams of the custom heathered blue Playboy-ish hat you have. Man that is a hat of my dreams. Second in my dreams is another gilled custom. We will see!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Another of my dreams is a clone of Jimmy the Lids Light Sage Playboy. Of course, the ribbon is no longer available.

View attachment 119680

View attachment 119681

As the sun gets lower in the sky of an evening the Worth - Walden on the right that I compared to Bone does yellow up some.

View attachment 119682

Speaking the truth! No forked tongue in these posts! Jimmy's sage Playboy is firm in my memory. Thanks for the pic.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
@Hurricane Jack - Thank you for taking the time to post the images of the felt swatches against other colors, in various lighting conditions, etc.

I've carried my own swatches around for weeks now, with my own set of lighter colors now at hand, but am learning as much from your images and thought progression as from my own efforts-- especially in relation to these lighter hues. Again, thanks.

For me, gauging colors and trying to anticipate/request a finished effect based on the interplay of light, ribbon width and hue, etc. ranges from enjoyable to maddening(!), and every bit of visual data helps.

Thankfully, I'm wildly pleased with the returns on my own Swatch Compare.

Again:
kmiRS1G.png

Granite
7/8" Steel Ribbon
Bow - I don't know the name, i just sent Michael pictures of his other hats featuring this one
2 1/4" brim

At home:
ZBjLtp9.jpg

Udtz51C.jpg

RLqyUVc.jpg

Context:

This is me a few years back, becoming a mother-in-law...
qSc8Lkp.jpg

... but I'd far rather be dressed like this:

u4gpyzB.jpg

But wait, what's this?!

jEdV8Nq.jpg

:eek:

Incoming:
x55z2dx.jpg

Steel Beaver Felt
7/8" Steel Ribbon (Same ribbon and bow treatment as on the Granite, on purpose-- I wanted to 'codify' the interplay of colors, as t'were. Besides, I mean, just look at it!)
2 3/8" brim [1/4" wider brim than on Granite, for variety/comparison]
Same goal as before, 4" or slightly lower crown at front-- smaller hats scale big on my tall little narrow noggin....

I thought we'd be weeks/months out for this Next Hat, but here it is, already. Booyah!

I have loved working with Mr. Gannon, and the results. Thanks, y'all-- I wouldn't have known about him without you, nor taken the leap without the visual resources you've provided here.

~ S.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
@Hurricane Jack - Thank you for taking the time to post the images of the felt swatches against other colors, in various lighting conditions, etc.

I've carried my own swatches around for weeks now, with my own set of lighter colors now at hand, but am learning as much from your images and thought progression as from my own efforts-- especially in relation to these lighter hues. Again, thanks.

For me, gauging colors and trying to anticipate/request a finished effect based on the interplay of light, ribbon width and hue, etc. ranges from enjoyable to maddening(!), and every bit of visual data helps.

Again:
kmiRS1G.png

Granite
7/8" Steel Ribbon
Bow - I don't know the name, i just sent Michael pictures of his other hats featuring this one
2 1/4" brim

At home:
ZBjLtp9.jpg

Udtz51C.jpg

RLqyUVc.jpg

Context:

qSc8Lkp.jpg

u4gpyzB.jpg

But wait, what's this?!

jEdV8Nq.jpg

Incoming:
x55z2dx.jpg

Steel Beaver Felt
7/8" Steel Ribbon (Same ribbon and bow treatment as on the Granite, on purpose-- I wanted to 'codify' the interplay of colors, as t'were. Besides, I mean, just look at it!)
Same goal as before, 4" or slightly lower crown at front-- smaller hats scale big on my tall little narrow noggin....

I thought we'd be weeks/months out for this Next Hat, but here it is, already. Booyah!

I have loved working with Mr. Gannon, and the results. Thanks, y'all-- I wouldn't have known about him without you, nor taken the leap without the visual resources you've provided here.

~ S.

Scuttle; Congrats on being a Mother-In-Law. You are styl'n in your Granite fedora. I can not wait to see pics of your fedoras companion in steel. Excellent felt hues. The granite crosses over the warm and cool hues. I find this hue very versatile.

I too am a fan of the mid ribbon and the flatter brim style you have on your two gorgeous hats. I appreciate that you have stayed with a similar ribbon hue for the different hues. Your explaination of "codifying" by using the rbbons rings true. I have chosen a charcoal ribbon trimmings on most of my Gannon's to made them easily worn with cool dark colors that the seasons in my neighborhood find me dressed in frequently. A rock of color to work from.

Your hats are terrific town and country hats.

Wear them proudly. Congrats to you and Michael.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Again:
kmiRS1G.png

Granite
7/8" Steel Ribbon
2 1/4" brim

At home:
ZBjLtp9.jpg

Udtz51C.jpg

RLqyUVc.jpg

Context:

qSc8Lkp.jpg

u4gpyzB.jpg

But wait, what's this?!

jEdV8Nq.jpg

Incoming:
x55z2dx.jpg

Steel Beaver Felt

~ S.
Wonderful hats, Scuttle. I have 2 hats from Michael as well and count them as favorites. Very nice picture of an eventful day. You look great dressed both ways!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana